• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirWaffle

SHJ
WCA
2013WEAV01
YouTube
Visit Channel

slinky773

WCA
2014LEEY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So for about a week or so I've been doing blindfolded crosses in order to get the cross down well, but it's not quite working. I've heard people say that they swear by BLD crosses and blah blah but I still suck, it takes maybe 5 seconds on average to do the cross and it's frustrating. Is there anything else I can do? Because I swear that the reason I'm not getting sub 20 is because of the cross. If I had a better cross and better cross to F2L transition I think I could be so much better.

Bump?

yoinneroid

WCA
2010UTOM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Are we allowed to not use mat for feet? I somehow remember reading that mat is compulsory for feet in the early 2013 regs since I'm translating part of it (I could be wrong though), however now that I try to search for that specific regs, I can't find it.

Ninja Storm

WCA
2012ELLI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So for about a week or so I've been doing blindfolded crosses in order to get the cross down well, but it's not quite working. I've heard people say that they swear by BLD crosses and blah blah but I still suck, it takes maybe 5 seconds on average to do the cross and it's frustrating. Is there anything else I can do? Because I swear that the reason I'm not getting sub 20 is because of the cross. If I had a better cross and better cross to F2L transition I think I could be so much better.

If you're still having trouble with the cross, try looking at example solves of faster cubers(preferably ones who solve your cross color) and see what they do for crosses. If they have scrambles/reconstructions, follow along! It can really help when you have harder/obscure cases.

Dablazinazn

Different methods when solving bigger puzzles?

Recently I started learning the Roux method, for fun mostly but to also better understand the cube in general. My question is, should I still use CFOP as my main solving method since I'm getting into 4x4 and 5x5(kind of) since once the edges are paired middle slices would be a pretty hard to achieve quickly on the bigger cubes?

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Recently I started learning the Roux method, for fun mostly but to also better understand the cube in general. My question is, should I still use CFOP as my main solving method since I'm getting into 4x4 and 5x5(kind of) since once the edges are paired middle slices would be a pretty hard to achieve quickly on the bigger cubes?

Use your method as main whichever you feel better.
For big cubes, you can either keep CFOP (with Reduction, Yau, Hoya or any different kind of reduction method), or if you prefer Roux overall, you can learn a Roux-like big cube method, such as K4.
For example, my 3x3 method is Roux, but my 4x4 method is Hoya with CFOP.

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can Florian modding "ruin" a cube? I have a SS 4x4 V5 that is konstamodded and it feels pretty good but I think it could be better by florian modding. The tensions are just perfect right now; I was wondering if Florian modding could ruin the cube so that it can't be tensioned perfectly again?

Has anyone florian modded a v5?

scottishcuber

WCA
2013MAHM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can Florian modding "ruin" a cube? I have a SS 4x4 V5 that is konstamodded and it feels pretty good but I think it could be better by florian modding. The tensions are just perfect right now; I was wondering if Florian modding could ruin the cube so that it can't be tensioned perfectly again?

Has anyone florian modded a v5?

Honestly, there is such little difference between SS 4x4 versions that it doesn't matter that its a V5. In any case you dont have to mess with the tensions at all, doing the florian mod wont require you to loosen or tighten the puzzle. Tensioning is not that big a deal (yes it's important), you can just do the mod and dont worry about it. You'll find the right tensions again if necessary.

Also, people talk a lot about over-modding, which can ruin the cubes performance or stability (I don't really believe in over-modding when used in the whole florian-mod context). To be honest, as long as you only take off the expendable plastic - the plastic which serves no purpose - then you wont need to worry about over-modding and hence the 'ruining' of your cube.

I have modded my v3.

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Honestly, there is such little difference between SS 4x4 versions that it doesn't matter that its a V5. In any case you dont have to mess with the tensions at all, doing the florian mod wont require you to loosen or tighten the puzzle. Tensioning is not that big a deal (yes it's important), you can just do the mod and dont worry about it. You'll find the right tensions again if necessary.

Also, people talk a lot about over-modding, which can ruin the cubes performance or stability (I don't really believe in over-modding when used in the whole florian-mod context). To be honest, as long as you only take off the expendable plastic - the plastic which serves no purpose - then you wont need to worry about over-modding and hence the 'ruining' of your cube.

I have modded my v3.

Alright. I'm just worried because I have a fully modded V4 that I dont think I overmodded. However this V5 turns much better and it only has the konsta mod done to it. I was hoping to get it even better by florian modding, but then again it would be a shame if I somehow ruined it. This would be my 4th Florian mod so I dont think I'd over/undermod it anymore. My modded v4 feels kind of rigid and hard when turning (Or the plastic feels hard and rigid, dont know how to explain this better), where as the turning the konstamodded V5 feels very soft and fluid. The V5 also feels a like its closer to the center, it feels like its together - the florian modded v4 feels like there is a solid inner layer and that the outer layer kinda just hangs there. I can also force a corner twist fairly easily with the V4. I still am quite convinced I have not overmodded it but I cant tell for myself. My fully modded v4 is not bad by any standards but I feel like the v5 could be magnificent.

I suppose all I need really is a cubing meet with people, videos/pictures are just not clear enough to explain some of the stuff I want to say.

jayefbe

WCA
2013BAHR02
I have a florian and Konsta modded v5 SS 4x4. Two of them actually, and they are both way better than anything unmodded. One cuts at about 40 degrees.

Two things. First, you can definitely over mod. It's a very real possibility. Considering how much better a fully modded cube is over a non-modded one, it's worth the risk. It sounds like your v4 may be over modded. I doubt the very tiny differences between the two versions could account for such a large perceived difference on their own. I personally believe that the florian mod requires just the right amount of plastic removal, not too much and not too little, to achieve the best results.

Second, while you don't have to touch the tensions when florian modding, you will absolutely have to re-tension the cube afterwards. The cube will feel much looser, it's pretty much a different cube after the mod. I find that SS 4x4s are the biggest pain to tension. Even minute adjustments are noticeable. It's worth the time it takes to get that perfect tension.

If you're worried about ruining your perfect tensions, then buy a new cube and mod that one. I personally would never go back to an unmodded SS after seeing how good they can be when modded well though.

scottishcuber

WCA
2013MAHM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a florian and Konsta modded v5 SS 4x4. Two of them actually, and they are both way better than anything unmodded. One cuts at about 40 degrees.

Two things. First, you can definitely over mod. It's a very real possibility. Considering how much better a fully modded cube is over a non-modded one, it's worth the risk. It sounds like your v4 may be over modded. I doubt the very tiny differences between the two versions could account for such a large perceived difference on their own. I personally believe that the florian mod requires just the right amount of plastic removal, not too much and not too little, to achieve the best results.

Second, while you don't have to touch the tensions when florian modding, you will absolutely have to re-tension the cube afterwards. The cube will feel much looser, it's pretty much a different cube after the mod. I find that SS 4x4s are the biggest pain to tension. Even minute adjustments are noticeable. It's worth the time it takes to get that perfect tension.

If you're worried about ruining your perfect tensions, then buy a new cube and mod that one. I personally would never go back to an unmodded SS after seeing how good they can be when modded well though.

Are you sure? proof?

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Are you sure? proof?

I'm fairly sure that's an overapproximation. 35 degrees I could believe since I can cut like 30 degrees with my "pretty good" florian modded V4 with some luck and a well aligned cube. Any more than 5degrees on top of that and the other edge pair locks up with the gap between the center corner as the modded cubies have space to wiggle and twist to make a lock up.

I'm looking for 35 degree corner cuts without luck involved.

Last edited:

scottishcuber

WCA
2013MAHM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm fairly sure that's an overapproximation. 35 degrees I could believe since I can cut like 30 degrees with my "pretty good" florian modded V4 with some luck and a well aligned cube. Any more than 5degrees on top of that and the other edge pair locks up with the gap between the center corner as the modded cubies have space to wiggle and twist to make a lock up.

I'm looking for 35 degree corner cuts without luck involved.

I was just surprised because neither of my shengshou 4x4s can barely cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.