• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer Square-1 Question Thread

Sitina

I‘m beginner for Vandenbergh. I heard that you can learn like only 15 ep for a beginner. Then what do you do about the other cases and those with parity?

YouTube
Visit Channel
I‘m beginner for Vandenbergh. I heard that you can learn like only 15 ep for a beginner. Then what do you do about the other cases and those with parity?
Just do two-look EP. Learn the U, H, and Z perms and the parity alg as well as some other easy cases, and I believe that should solve every EP case in a solve using at most two algs.

Thom S.

Are there any videos of people executing algorithms very fast like there are compilations in 3x3?

Thom S.

Is CP+EP enough to get fast on square 1? Or do you need to learn PBL
Most definitely. Full EP can be quite fast. If you can, learn all the PBL Cases that get solved with two CP algorithms. I didn't and now my recognition system doesn't allow for it.

LBr

WCA
2022FOGG01
Is CP+EP enough to get fast on square 1? Or do you need to learn PBL
there is no way you need to know obl/pbl, you can be decently fast with adj/adj and opp/opp only on vandenbergh. But you need to go straight into your second adj/adj if you want to be good. For my U perms, I do adj/adj twice as it is the same number of slices as other U perms anyway

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Not sure where to put this question.

I was mindlessly turning my YuXin Little Magic M squan (trying to scramble it; I'm new to squan) when the cube just completely exploded in my hands. Like, crumbled right before me. I definitely could've tried to make an impossible move, but I was 100% not forcing enough to cause something like that. I've now reassembled it but it seems that there may be something missing in the core? Basically it falls apart whenever I try to turn it, and I'm assuming it's not connected in the core. Does anyone know what possibly could've happened? I can't find anything else that fell out of the puzzle but there very well could be something I didn't see considering stuff went everywhere

Thom S.

Basically it falls apart whenever I try to turn it, and I'm assuming it's not connected in the core.
Youxin Little Magic Sq1s use a Nylon nut(which is borderline criminal for a premium Sq1 because we know that's a bad idea for at least 9 years now), or at least the two I own do. The threads on these strip out after some time, which would explain why it exploded and continues to do so.
Of course, without pictures, that can only be a guess. Maybe the nut just unsrewed and you lost it?
If one of these happened, your best guess would be to buy a proper locknut. I'll check tomorrow, but cube manufacturers somehow are keen on using imperial screws(which is completely idiotical but I won't get into why) and I don't know if the Planet mars stocks metric or imperial nuts in their hardware stores.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Youxin Little Magic Sq1s use a Nylon nut(which is borderline criminal for a premium Sq1 because we know that's a bad idea for at least 9 years now), or at least the two I own do. The threads on these strip out after some time, which would explain why it exploded and continues to do so.
Of course, without pictures, that can only be a guess. Maybe the nut just unsrewed and you lost it?
If one of these happened, your best guess would be to buy a proper locknut. I'll check tomorrow, but cube manufacturers somehow are keen on using imperial screws(which is completely idiotical but I won't get into why) and I don't know if the Planet mars stocks metric or imperial nuts in their hardware stores.

Yeah, it looks like something happened to the nut. I can’t tell if it’s stripped or if the puzzle was just too loose. I’ve put the puzzle back together and tightened it and it appears to be fine, but we’ll see if it still happens once I start solving.

What are the best (preferably not too overpriced) squans on the market right now? Preferably ones that don’t have such issues

Thom S.

Yeah, it looks like something happened to the nut. I can’t tell if it’s stripped or if the puzzle was just too loose. I’ve put the puzzle back together and tightened it and it appears to be fine, but we’ll see if it still happens once I start solving.

What are the best (preferably not too overpriced) squans on the market right now? Preferably ones that don’t have such issues
From what I've gathered, the community either uses YLM or the Volt V2.
The YLM gets praise without end, I hate it. Almost unusable. So I use the Volt V2, which I can safely say comes with a proper locknut.