• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer Square-1 Question Thread

WCA
2019KANT03
what is the optimal parity alg (I'm just starting squan so I want to learn the optimal alg first so i dont go head using a bad alg)
I've seen a few and they're ridiculously long, so I dont want to memorize one to find out that it will impair me from getting faster
And I'm talkking about the adjacent swap because I was told that is the alg to start with

xyzzy

And I'm talkking about the adjacent swap because I was told that is the alg to start with
You were told wrong; adj is almost the worst possible EP parity case. Learn pretty much anything else instead.

H/opp: /3,3/1,0/-2,4/2,-4/2,0/3,3/-3,0/3,3/
Z/adj: /-3,0/3,3/3,0/1,0/-2,4/2,-4/-1,3/0,3/-3,-3/
adj/U: /3,3/5,0/-2,0/-4,0/-4,0/0,-4/0,-2/0,1/3,3/
etc.

Pick whatever. Just… skip pure adjacent unless you intend to learn full parity EP. (Or if you intend to try squan blindfolded, I guess.)

Last edited:

Sitina

How many algs are there in the Vandenberg method? Is Vandenberg easier to learn and get fast with or Lin method? I am currently deciding which to learn

WCA
2019WILK04
YouTube
Visit Channel
How many algs are there in the Vandenberg method? Is Vandenberg easier to learn and get fast with or Lin method? I am currently deciding which to learn
There are over 100 I think, but it’s like CFOP in the way that you can just learn them over a while, instead of learning them all in one go like you would with say CLL. Lin has less algs and is more intuitive as Vandenburg is heavily alg based. There’ll be some overviews and tutorials for both on YT, so I’d advise having a look at them and seeing which method you would prefer. I would say Vandenburg is easier to get faster at than Lin as you can just learn more and more algs until you’re at a speed you’re happy with

Sitina

There are over 100 I think, but it’s like CFOP in the way that you can just learn them over a while, instead of learning them all in one go like you would with say CLL. Lin has less algs and is more intuitive as Vandenburg is heavily alg based. There’ll be some overviews and tutorials for both on YT, so I’d advise having a look at them and seeing which method you would prefer. I would say Vandenburg is easier to get faster at than Lin as you can just learn more and more algs until you’re at a speed you’re happy with
Thanks

Q--

WCA
2019MCGA02
Vandenbergh is easier to learn and get fast with, despite the algcount. To be able to solve using vandenbergh, you only need to know 5 algs. At the highest level, you’ll know about 65-70 algs, and 180 “intuitive” ways to do cubeshape, one for parity and one without parity, that aren’t hard to learn at all. For Lin at the top level, you end up learning those same 180 cubeshape solutions and about 80 Algs in total.

Those 180 cubeshape solutions (compared to 90) are much easier than the 50 Vandenbergh algs to deal with parity. (Adding those 50 the total would be 115) Parity algs used to be considered a requirement for the top level, until doing it during cubeshape became popular and better, so now Vandenbergh has a lower alg count.

I’d definitely recommend Vandenbergh, you can learn algs one at a time and it has shown much more potential than Lin.

Silky

Does anyone have a list of serious Square-1 solvers that use Lin ? I've read that a WR was broken with Lin but don't know who broke it and am a too lazy to go through all of the WR videos to find out.

Silky

not In total, but you don't need many to get pretty good
I mean Lin only has 17 algorithms so I don't see how there would be a huge discrepancy.. And since Helmer Ewert is top 10 in the world, I'd say they're at least equal.