• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
I just had 2 PLL Skips in a row. Is that insane? The odds of this are 1/484 right?

The probability of getting 2 PLL skips in 2 solves is 1/5184. But the probability of getting 2 PLL skips in a row somewhere in your session depends on how many cubes you did.

da25centz

WCA
2010MEYE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've had 3 PLL skips in a row. What are the chances of that?
For the second and third PLL skip, they had the same OLL, although I'm not sure about AUF for any of them. Could you calculate the chances for 3 PLL skips in a row, or the chances for 3 PLL skips in a row getting the same OLL twice in a row?

PLL skip chance: 1/21
same OLL on 2 solves: 1/(57^2)
total probability: 1/30,088,989
you sir, are incredibly lucky :D

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
I've had 3 PLL skips in a row. What are the chances of that?
For the second and third PLL skip, they had the same OLL, although I'm not sure about AUF for any of them. Could you calculate the chances for 3 PLL skips in a row, or the chances for 3 PLL skips in a row getting the same OLL twice in a row?

Read the second half of his post saying "the probability ... depends on how many cubes you did"
The probability of sitting down with the cube, doing just 3 solves, and having those 3 solves be PLL skips is A LOT less than the probability of doing an average of 100 and having 3 in a row be PLL skips, which in turn is A LOT less than the probability of getting 3 PLL skips in a row at some point during the thousands and thousands of solves you've done in your lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.