• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is it worth the time and effort to learn multiple PLL for each case to get rid of AUFs, or is it just as simple to use U, U', and cube rotations

Depends on the alg really and whether there is a good case from all angles. For example, I know U perms with the block in front, and in back, but there aren't many good algs for them on the sides so I AUF.

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is it worth the time and effort to learn multiple PLL for each case to get rid of AUFs, or is it just as simple to use U, U', and cube rotations
Its really a case by case thing. Like Cyrus I know U perm from front and back, I suggest learning those for either the RU algs or MU, or both. Other than that I know

5 F perms to solve from 3 angles (adj swap on R, F and B)
3 Z perms to solve both angles (RU, MU and Dan Knights)
5 A perms to solve from all angles
2 E perms to solve both angles, though I usually just use 1
4 Ra perms to solve from 3 angles, I mostly use 1 in speed solve

The other cases I know may know multiple algs for but all from the same angle

Joker

YouTube
Visit Channel

Yeah I found that by looking it up...
But for 2LPLL, it doesn't really have any (or I just don't understand the concept for megaminx?)
I mean, for 3x3, you make the top side one colour/OLL, then move the pieces to the correct position/PLL.
In the PLL section, it doesn't show all the pieces oriented...
Could someone explain this to me?
I thought PLL was the same for megaminx (same concept) that after you do orient LL, you permute LL... (meaning I was expecting arrows showing which pieces go where, when the LL is oriented.)

hic0057

WCA
2010HICK01
Yeah I found that by looking it up...
But for 2LPLL, it doesn't really have any (or I just don't understand the concept for megaminx?)
I mean, for 3x3, you make the top side one colour/OLL, then move the pieces to the correct position/PLL.
In the PLL section, it doesn't show all the pieces oriented...
Could someone explain this to me?
I thought PLL was the same for megaminx (same concept) that after you do orient LL, you permute LL... (meaning I was expecting arrows showing which pieces go where, when the LL is oriented.)

Use this guide for Last layer of Megaminx.
http://www.kungfoomanchu.com/guides/andy-klise-megaminx.pdf

xXzaKerXx

I guess you should cut them a little, F IIs are not as big as Rubik's Brands. But you might as well just get Cubesmith stickers.

jiggy

http://www.badmephisto.com/pllprint2.pdf

in this pll pdf which one is the side towards my face? the red color?

Hello ahmedkl!

I'm not sure what you're asking, are you confused by the diagrams?

Take this one for example (a J-perm, for the record):

pll09.gif

This is a diagram of the top face, as if you were looking at it from above. The red arrow(s) show which edges need to be swapped, the blue arrow(s) show which corners need to be swapped.

On some sites, you may find diagrams which look something like this:

visualcube.php

This is the same case shown in a different way, as you can see on the diagram, the orange and green edges need to swap, and the orang/blue and orange/green corners need to swap. Of course, it won't always be the orange and green edges, but hopefully you can see the pattern which is shown by the arrows in the other picture.

So, hold you cube with the last layer (I believe you solve a white cross, so the yellow layer) on U. The alg listed for this case is [R U R' F'] {[R U R' U'] [R' F] [R2 U' R'] U'}. Often, the best way to see what a case looks like is to execute the alg. For most PLLs, one execution will move your cube into that case. It's important to realise that it doesn't actually matter how your top layer is positioned with respect to the rest of the cube. So, what I mean by that is that you could do U or U' moves, or y rotations and that's fine. You don't need to have the red face towards you, or any face for that matter. What is important, however, is that your top face is positioned in the way shown by the diagrams.

Does this help? Or were you asking for something else?

[Edited in a bit more detail]

Last edited:

ahmedkl

thanks for the reply jiggy the 2nd picture you posted is more explainable to me because i can also see the side colors also . From which website did you take it?And do they have all the pll explained like those?I am now thinking of learning pll cause sometimes they cost me a bit more time and they ruin my overall average

jiggy

I think PLL is definitely the correct thing for you to learn next! I took that image from the PLL section of the Wiki. However, that section is more of a place experienced cubers go if they're looking for a new alg to a case they already know. I don't think it's set out in a very beginner friendly fashion. For one thing, I don't think the cases are listed in the correct order for a beginner to learn. Additionally, multiple algs are listed for each case and are sorted by move count, not in any qualitative manor.

I strongly recommend you stick with the badmephisto alg sheet, even if you don't like the diagrams as much, just because it's a better learning resource. (It's specifically designed for people learning PLL for the first time.)

If you really don't feel like you can get along with the badmephisto alg sheet, you can check out this one created by Andy Klise. I've only just looked at it...it's actually really very very good...Andy makes such good PDFs!

EDIT: While I've got you, badmephisto has some really good videos on this topic, if you fancy watching them:
2 look PLL
Recognising the PLLs
PLL: memorization, tips, links

Last edited:

ahmedkl

Thanks for the links i am definately going to look them now . Another question that in what sequence should i start learning the Plls ? I think i already know 4-5 cases

jiggy

Well, it doesn't matter hugely, but I quite like the order meph puts them in. Although, personally I remember leaving the G-perms until last as I found them the hardest to recognise/tell apart. T, J and Y are good to get out of the way early, as they have quite nice algs. I'd just learn them in the order they are listed on either meph's PDF or Andy's. Good luck! =)

Charfield

Hi everybody,

I have a question, would I be able to make a normal circle cube out of the Crazy 3x3 Plus Cubes? I assume I'd have to get atleast 2, but which ones?

Basically I want to make the Circle cube that SmaZ made himself (which you can find here: http://www.puzzle-shop.de/start-museum.html)

Looking at this picture I take it I would at least have to get Mars:

2n9gids.jpg

And maybe Neptune if the colors can be switched.

Looking forward to read your comments! Thanks!

souljahsu

WCA
2010HSUK01
I'm trying to return something to lightake, and it asked me to provide the following:
Order Number, SKU, the reason of sending back and post images, choose replacement or refund money and other your related concern.

So what is the SKU and the Order Number?

Status
Not open for further replies.