• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
Status
Not open for further replies.

de Crie

Is COLL+EPLL faster/slower than OLL+PLL, in terms of recognition time/move count/execution?

Which would be better for Petrus?

Because I'm currently learning COLL.

aznanimedude

COLL+EPLL might or might not be faster. depends on the person. COLL+EPLL is nice for random LL skips, but for some the split second of corner sticker recognition might not be worth it, especially for Sune/Asune cases which are the real thing that even COLL users might not bother learning cases for and instead opt for OLL+PLL for Sune and Asune.

I speak from a ZZ background with this, but really, it's personal preference, although i'm slightly biased towards COLL+EPLL since i use that myself :3

Xishem

WCA
2011BOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is COLL+EPLL faster/slower than OLL+PLL, in terms of recognition time/move count/execution?

Which would be better for Petrus?

Because I'm currently learning COLL.
Average movecount is practically the same in HTM, but I think COLL+ELL may win out slightly in STM.

Recognition is probably slower, but in my experience the algs (especially for ELL) are faster in COLL+ELL. Some ELL cases are pretty difficult to recognize. To me, they are probably about the same as far as total recognition/execution time.

For Petrus, COLL+E(P)LL is probably best, since COLL+ELL when your ELL is always an EPLL is probably faster than OCLL+PLL in most cases.

Last edited:

Ickathu

WCA
2011MERT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was wondering how many different methods for the 3x3 there are?

Infinite.
Let's see though, I'll name some common ones:
  1. roux
  2. cfop
  3. freefop
  4. zz
  5. petrus
  6. columns
  7. belt
  8. corners first
  9. 8355
  10. beginners
  11. heise
  12. human thistlethwaite or whatever
  13. BH
  14. Old Pochmann
  15. M2/R2
plus there are combinations of those, especially with the bld methods.

KongShou

WCA
2013KONG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Basically ive got a shengshou 4x4 and its, well, okay. but there is a problem with the outer layer turning, it kind of split and lock up a lot. the middle layers are completely fine. but any misalignment and it locks up. is this a common problem? how do i fix this?

help.

Hermanio

WCA
2012OUNA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Basically ive got a shengshou 4x4 and its, well, okay. but there is a problem with the outer layer turning, it kind of split and lock up a lot. the middle layers are completely fine. but any misalignment and it locks up. is this a common problem? how do i fix this?

help.
Tighten it, this will fix the problem you're having. When I have it loose then the corners kind of catch onto something and it locks and splits.
A second option would be to mod it somehow, but I recommend the first option.

Status
Not open for further replies.