• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
Status
Not open for further replies.

SenileGenXer

I have a florian modded Shengshou Megaminx. The florian holes aren't too big or gross. The stickers were prone to peeling to begin with and getting cut off a little by the florian mod made them worse.

I want to buy tiles. I can find MF8 megaminx times for sale I just don't want tiles that say mf8 on my Shengshou megaminx. QJ minx tiles look nice but I can't find anyplace that sells just the tiles. Any source for unlabeled megaminx tiles? Has anyone tiled their shengshou megaminx?

jdbryant

YouTube
Visit Channel
So I've begun to use Roux for 3x3 speedsolving. Now that I have a WeiSu on the way, I guess it's time I started to learn how to solve a 4x4... What method would ultimately be the fastest (even if it's kind of a step away from block building type stuff) and/or best for me to learn?

rj

WCA
2015PLAT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I've begun to use Roux for 3x3 speedsolving. Now that I have a WeiSu on the way, I guess it's time I started to learn how to solve a 4x4... What method would ultimately be the fastest (even if it's kind of a step away from block building type stuff) and/or best for me to learn?

Learn the reduction method first. Try this guide.

KiwiCuber

WCA
2013ASBE01
What is the difference between the YauX-s? (Yau4, Yau5, Yau6, etc.)

In Yau4 you solve first 2 centres, first 3 cross edges, last 4 centres, last cross edge and then the rest of edges (normally 3-2...) followed by 3x3

In Yau5 (Yau6+ is just called Yau5 as it is the same) you solve the first two centres up to the last cross edge the same as Yau4. then when you solve edges you solve your 4 f2l egdes first leaving the 4 last layer edges unsolved. You then solve two adjacent f2l slots (or diagonal and make them adjacent for the next step) and put them on the B face. Now you solve the last 4 edges on the F face before finishing the 3x3 stage

Last edited:

scottishcuber

WCA
2013MAHM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
What is the difference between the YauX-s? (Yau4, Yau5, Yau6, etc.)

I haven't seen anyone come up with a yau6+

Yau4 (just yau) has the following steps:

1. First 2 centers (opposite from each other)
2. First 3 cross edges
3. Last 4 centers (preserving the cross)
4. Last cross edge

5. Last 8 edges
6. 3x3 stage (minus cross)

Yau5 (which was created to be used for cubes bigger than a 444):

First 4 steps are identical to Yau...
1. First 2 centers (opposite from each other)
2. First 3 cross edges
3. Last 4 centers (preserving the cross)
4. Last cross edge

5. Next 4 edges (at least two must be adjacent F2L pairs)
6. F2L-1 (solve the two pairs, then put in the back slots)
7. Last 4 edges (using the front two empty slots)
8. F2L-2 (solve remaining F2L pairs in the front) + LL

edit:I'll leave this here anyway

Last edited:

SenileGenXer

Steps 5, 6, and 7 for yau5 are all easily done in step 5 of yau 4. Edge pairing on a 4x4 is radically easier in that there are far fewer edges.

Last edited:

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there any reason steps 5-8 of Yau5 wouldn't also work well for 4x4?

With the 4x4 the edges are paired with the 3-2-3 method, as lookahead is just great with it. Basically after the last cross edge you slice the cube, pair 3 edges, slice back. Then you pair 2 edges and lastly what remains. You can often get lucky with this method and end up having to pair less that 8 pairs.

yoinneroid

WCA
2010UTOM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
in 4x4, it is much easier to pair edges, just misalign an inner slice, and we can pair 3 edges. Moreover, 2 of the 3 edges automatically fill the blind spot in 2 pair chain solving. In 5x5, there is no efficient way to pair 2 edges to fill the blindspot.

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Many of the fastest cubers right now are using Yau method for 4x4.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
in 4x4, it is much easier to pair edges, just misalign an inner slice, and we can pair 3 edges. Moreover, 2 of the 3 edges automatically fill the blind spot in 2 pair chain solving. In 5x5, there is no efficient way to pair 2 edges to fill the blindspot.
Thanks. Currently I pair 2222 filling the first 2 into the blind spots. I was just curious as to whether solving those as F2L pairs earlier might be better, but I can see now that it wouldn't.

asportking

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm trying to reassemble my WitTwo, but one of the axises always gets caught on something after I assemble it. I've tried a few times and never had any success. What am I doing wrong?

Does anyone have a good order for PLL time attacks? Like one that returns the cube to a solved state when you do all 21 PLLs?

jdbryant

YouTube
Visit Channel
How much longer can I expect shipping to take from fasttech.com if I received a shipping confirmation email ("Order number blahblahblah has shipped!") on September 17th, but didn't pay the extra dollar or so to get faster shipping? It shipped via "International Airmail." Destination is Georgia.

EDIT: According to this, http://support.fasttech.com/FAQ/what-are-the-supported-shipping-methods, it should take no longer than 30 business days. 30 business days from September 17th was today...

Last edited:
WCA
2012CHIE01
Does anyone have a good order for PLL time attacks? Like one that returns the cube to a solved state when you do all 21 PLLs?

People create their own order for PLL time attacks based on how well algs flow into each other. Also, relatively bad algs are usually first so that you can end with your fastest algs. People don't intentionally make an order that results in a solved cube (at least I don't)

rj

WCA
2015PLAT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
How much longer can I expect shipping to take from fasttech.com if I received a shipping confirmation email ("Order number blahblahblah has shipped!") on September 17th, but didn't pay the extra dollar or so to get faster shipping? It shipped via "International Airmail." Destination is Georgia.

EDIT: According to this, http://support.fasttech.com/FAQ/what-are-the-supported-shipping-methods, it should take no longer than 30 business days. 30 business days from September 17th was today...

Be patient. Contact them and ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.