• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Osric

Some time ago I had found a very intuitive solving method, whose name or author I thought started with 'M', that I can no longer find documented online.

It's not a fast method but I liked it a lot because I believe it is possible for someone to truly solve the puzzle with just the high-level framework and a weekend or two invested figuring out a few of their own algorithms. The high level framework is:

- solve a face except for one corner (usually done with a cross, then three corners)
- put the top face on the bottom with the damaged corner facing you. Using the fact that you already have a damaged corner, solve all the edges in the middle layer except the edge that goes above the damaged corner.
- solve all the remaining edges, using the edge above the damaged corner to manipulate the bottom edges into place
-- during this step, the solver may wind up with two edges flipped, one of which is always the damaged edge. solving this is the first harder alg to figure out
- turn the cube so that the damaged corner is at the back. using the damaged corner to store the corners, permute the corners until each one is in the correct position, but not necessarily the correct orientation
-- understanding how to use the spare corner to manipulate the corners on the bottom is also a more difficult step to figure out
- finally, permute the corners

Can anyone point me at the author/original source of this method?

Thanks!

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Some time ago I had found a very intuitive solving method, whose name or author I thought started with 'M', that I can no longer find documented online.

It's not a fast method but I liked it a lot because I believe it is possible for someone to truly solve the puzzle with just the high-level framework and a weekend or two invested figuring out a few of their own algorithms. The high level framework is:

- solve a face except for one corner (usually done with a cross, then three corners)
- put the top face on the bottom with the damaged corner facing you. Using the fact that you already have a damaged corner, solve all the edges in the middle layer except the edge that goes above the damaged corner.
- solve all the remaining edges, using the edge above the damaged corner to manipulate the bottom edges into place
-- during this step, the solver may wind up with two edges flipped, one of which is always the damaged edge. solving this is the first harder alg to figure out
- turn the cube so that the damaged corner is at the back. using the damaged corner to store the corners, permute the corners until each one is in the correct position, but not necessarily the correct orientation
-- understanding how to use the spare corner to manipulate the corners on the bottom is also a more difficult step to figure out
- finally, permute the corners

Can anyone point me at the author/original source of this method?

Thanks!

Osric

Thanks @Sub1Hour ... 8355 and Keyhole look like they have some of the same ideas, but neither of them is the method I am looking for.

In particular, the solution for the corners given in 8355 definitely does not strike me as intuitive, or as something a non-expert cuber could come up with over a weekend of fiddling with the cube. In the method I am talking about the buffer corner is left at the back right bottom position, with the unsolved corners on top; and a move like L D2 L' (rotate top to get correct corner in front left) L D2 L' is used to load the corner from the buffer into the top layer; repeat until the corners are all in the correct position; then use L D2 L' F' D2 F to twist a badly oriented corner; twist the top to put another badly twisted corner in the front left and repeat to restore the cube having twisted exactly two corners. I think these sorts of ideas (figure out how to put something in the buffer and get it back in a different position) can be figured out in a weekend ... but repeating sexy moves that don't seem to be accomplishing anything until the face is suddenly magically solved cannot...

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks @Sub1Hour ... 8355 and Keyhole look like they have some of the same ideas, but neither of them is the method I am looking for.

In particular, the solution for the corners given in 8355 definitely does not strike me as intuitive, or as something a non-expert cuber could come up with over a weekend of fiddling with the cube. In the method I am talking about the buffer corner is left at the back right bottom position, with the unsolved corners on top; and a move like L D2 L' (rotate top to get correct corner in front left) L D2 L' is used to load the corner from the buffer into the top layer; repeat until the corners are all in the correct position; then use L D2 L' F' D2 F to twist a badly oriented corner; twist the top to put another badly twisted corner in the front left and repeat to restore the cube having twisted exactly two corners. I think these sorts of ideas (figure out how to put something in the buffer and get it back in a different position) can be figured out in a weekend ... but repeating sexy moves that don't seem to be accomplishing anything until the face is suddenly magically solved cannot...
Ah, I see. 8355 looked very similar to your description but I'm not sure what the method you are talking about is called. I hope that you do end up finding the method! FYI when you are talking about "loading the corner" that's actually a 3style-esc commutator, maybe that information could help you find the method!

alan6407

Hello! I am new to this forum but I am looking for a list of algorithms and I cannot find it, in what little I search I found some interesting publications but it is not what I am looking for, maybe you can help me. I am looking for all the algorithms of 1LLSLL I think they are more than 10,000 algs and I saw very interesting methods that also use EO to reduce cases, but I want 10,000 alg without having to use EO, it is for a project hopefully they can help me

WCA
2017OWEN01
Hello! I am new to this forum but I am looking for a list of algorithms and I cannot find it, in what little I search I found some interesting publications but it is not what I am looking for, maybe you can help me. I am looking for all the algorithms of 1LLSLL I think they are more than 10,000 algs and I saw very interesting methods that also use EO to reduce cases, but I want 10,000 alg without having to use EO, it is for a project hopefully they can help me
No one has generated full 1LLSLL as it isn’t humanly viable. I don’t know how many algs it is for cfop but I would guess it’s around 500k. The only slightly viable way of doing Full 1LLSLL would be with EO and CP done in which case it’s ‘only’ ~8000 algs. To learn this I would first advise looking into Briggs as it’s the main CP method that exists currently (that I know of) and then start generating the algs and a system to learn at least a subsets a day (a subset is 12 algs). Even doing this it would take you Roughly 2 years to learn them all and probably longer to effectively implement them.

alan6407

No one has generated full 1LLSLL as it isn’t humanly viable. I don’t know how many algs it is for cfop but I would guess it’s around 500k. The only slightly viable way of doing Full 1LLSLL would be with EO and CP done in which case it’s ‘only’ ~8000 algs. To learn this I would first advise looking into Briggs as it’s the main CP method that exists currently (that I know of) and then start generating the algs and a system to learn at least a subsets a day (a subset is 12 algs). Even doing this it would take you Roughly 2 years to learn them all and probably longer to effectively implement them.

Ok I understand, could you pass me the link of what you are talking about? Or some method that you know with the steps that you tell me?

whaffle

Ok I understand, could you pass me the link of what you are talking about? Or some method that you know with the steps that you tell me?
I believe the only 1LLSLL subset that has been generated is TTLL, which is a subset of ZZ-CT, which you can find here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XE1AYZ66MQ8fPJEXhDVu2dfHXoW9kz8pAXp7kXTYQ0k/edit. If you insist on using a 1LLSLL method, I recommend M-CELL, in which you use a 1-look 2-alg system. I don't think anyone has generated the algorithms yet, but since there's only 96 algorithms, you should be able to generate them yourself.

whaffle

Is birdflu down? When I try to open it an error message shows. Is this just my computer, or is birdflu not working?