- 1 Procedure
- 2 Advancements
- 3 Example Solves
- 4 See also
- 5 External links
- (Beginner) Holding the cross on D, place D-layer corners above their position in the U-layer and repeat the sexy move (R U R' U') until placed.
- (Advanced) Intuitive
- (Beginner) This can be done in 2 substeps (8355 keyhole method) :
- Solve 3 U-layer edges: (intuitive) Hold the remaining unsolved corner+edge positions in the front-right. Using R or F', place a U-layer edge into the correct position. Now twist the U layer to replace it with an unsolved U-layer edge and undo the original R' or F move. Repeat until 3 U-layer edges are solved.
- Solve the final 2 edges: Swap the FR E-slice edge with the edge in UF without disturbing the other edges using the alg R U R' U R U R' or its mirror F' U' F U' F' U' F, depending on the orientation of the edge in the slot.
Use the 5CM:Sexy*+S step to have the Solved cube state: Flip the cube over so that 4 of the remaining corners are in the D-layer and the other remaining corner is in the FR position of the U-layer. The corner in the U layer will be used as a 'buffer'.
- If the corner in the buffer does not belong in the D-layer apply the alg R U R' U' (the sexy move) once to place a D-layer corner into the buffer.
- Twist the D-layer until the corner in the buffer position is directly above its correct position in the D-layer.
- Repeat the alg R U R' U' until the corner in the buffer position is placed correctly in the D-layer.
- Repeat steps 1 to 3 until only 1 unsolved corner remains in the D-layer.
- Position the final unsolved D-layer corner under the buffer piece.
- Repeat the alg R U R' U' until either the whole cube is solved or only 2 unsolved corners remain. If the final D corner is solved resulting in a fully solved D layer but the rest of the cube is unsolved, continue applying the algorithm until you are left with two unsolved corners, then continue with the instructions below.
- Rotate the whole cube so that the D-layer now contains the 2 unsolved corners, re-assigning a solved corner in the U-layer as the new buffer piece.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the cube is solved.
There are a number of advancements which can be made to lower the move-count and improve speed of execution. Here are a few of them:
- Solving the Cross: Minimise move count and plan the entire cross during inspection
- First 3 Corners: Use the inverse of the sexy move to reduce the number of repetitions required. For maximal efficiency, depending on the corner orientation use one of:
- R U R'
- F' U' F
- R B U2 B' R'
- Solve 3 E-slice edges: Combine first 3 corners and edges into one step by joining corner + edge pairs in the U-layer and inserting as a pair, see F2L
- Solve U-Layer edges: Try also building corner/edge pairs while solving the edges to reduce the number of corners left at the end, see Heise Method.
- Last 5 corners: Use the inverse of the sexy move (U R U' R') for corners requiring 5-repetitions of the sexy move. More advanced: Use more efficient commutators to solve several corners simultaneously. See last step of Heise Method.
A Complete Solve
Scramble: F2 D' B2 R2 B2 D U2 L2 U' B2 F D2 B D2 R2 U' F R F' L' D'
- Cross (intuitive): R' L' F U L R2 B2
- Insert 3x D-layer corners:
- y' (RUR'U')
- y' d (RUR'U')*3
- Insert 3x E-slice edges:
- y2 (R'U'R'U'R'URUR)
- d2 (R'U'R'U'R'URUR)
- y' U' (R'U'R'U'R'URUR)
- Place 3x U-layer edges (intuitive):
- y2 U2 R U' R' . y L' U L
- Bring final U-layer edge into slot:
- y' (RUR'URUR')
- Now insert it into position:
- y U (L'U'LU'L'U'L)
- Flip cube over to solve final corners:
- x2 y2 D (RUR'U')*3
- D (RUR'U')
- D2 (RUR'U')*5
- D2 (RUR'U')*3 D2
Final 5 Corners: dealing with 2 unoriented corners
Scramble: R U R' D R U' R' D' R U R' D' R U' R' D
- D' (R U R' U') - first corner
- D (R U R' U') - bring second corner into buffer
- D (R U R' U')*5 - solve second corner
- D' (R U R' U') - third corner. Notice, the corner is solved but the rest of the cube is scrambled.
- (R U R' U')*4 - repeat alg until the cube is solved except for two unoriented corners.
- x' - re-assign d-layer to contain the 2 unsolved corners.
- (R U R' U')*4 - solve the first one
- D' (R U R' U')*2 - finally, solve the second one.
Final 5 Corners: another example
Scramble: D2 R U R' D R U' R' D' R U R' D' R U' R' D'
- D (R U R' U') - first corner.
- D (R U R' U') - bring second corner into buffer.
- D (R U R' U')*5 - solve second corner.
- D' (R U R' U')*5 - attempt to solve third corner. Not possible, so repeat until only 2 unsolved corners remain.
- x' - rotate cube so that 2 corners are in the D-layer.
- (R U R' U')*4 - solve first unoriented corner.
- D' (R U R' U')*4 D - solve second unoriented corner.
- x D2 - fix bottom layer.
- Speedsolving.com: 8355 method: easy way to solve cube?
- Speedsolving.com: 8355 Modified
- Speedsolving.com: 8355 - Problems with last 5 corners
- Chinese Tutorial
- Chinese Tutorial (translated to English)
- Chinese Video