• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

nick carrasco

Hello, i've been cubing for around a year and half but recently got back into it about 2 months ago. I average around 25 seconds on 3x3 and around low 5s on 2x2. Im starting to take 2x2 more seriously learning CLL. Since I am starting to take 2x2 more seriously should I get a stackmat to practice pickups and drops.

Duncan Bannon

Hello, i've been cubing for around a year and half but recently got back into it about 2 months ago. I average around 25 seconds on 3x3 and around low 5s on 2x2. Im starting to take 2x2 more seriously learning CLL. Since I am starting to take 2x2 more seriously should I get a stackmat to practice pickups and drops.
It's not necessary but most definitely helps. If you have a competition coming up soon or just have the money, I would definitely recommend it.

Pickups can really make a large difference in your solving times, so don't be worried if your times go up by as much as .5 or so seconds.

Where are you learning in your CLL algs from? Make sure they are good ones!

Have fun with 2x2!

nick carrasco

It's not necessary but most definitely helps. If you have a competition coming up soon or just have the money, I would definitely recommend it.

Pickups can really make a large difference in your solving times, so don't be worried if your times go up by as much as .5 or so seconds.

Where are you learning in your CLL algs from? Make sure they are good ones!

Have fun with 2x2!

Hey thanks for the quick advice. And I am using Luigi Soriano's algs from his spreadsheet. They are great and has basically every alg set needed for 2x2

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
May I ask what the event and the result is?
For a lot of trivial events (2x2, pyra, 1x1x3) we don't keep track of WB on the wiki because no one cares and it's hard to verify what is true or faked.

Go to the wiki. Create an account. Go the list of UWR page. Edit the page with your name, event, and time.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What is difference between averages and means? Can you explain?
I need to know about the difference between both.
A mean is just an arithmetic mean; you add up all the times and divide by the amount. (So for a mean of 3, you add up all three times and divide by 3.)
In an average, the best and worst solves are dropped and the mean of the remaining solves is calculated. For an average of 5, you add up the three middle times and divide by 3. For bigger averages, the top 5% and the bottom 5% are dropped, so in an average of 100, you take the mean of the middle 90 times.

xyzzy

What is difference between averages and means? Can you explain?
I need to know about the difference between both.
The mean and the "average" (in the cubing sense) are both measures of central tendency. Outside of cubing, the word "average" almost always refers to the arithmetic mean (add everything up and divide), so "mean" and "average" have exactly the same meaning to laymen. The various measures of central tendency have different properties; the mean completely breaks down in the presence of outliers (e.g. a single DNF, even out of ten thousand solves, would make the entire mean a DNF), while the 5% trimmed mean (the cubing "average") can tolerate up to 5% of outliers, and the median can tolerate up to 50%.

There is nothing special, canonical, god-given about the 5% threshold we use in cubing. It was just decided as a community standard a long time ago, and now there's no real reason to change it. It could just as well have been 10% or 20%, if the powers that be had decided so back in the day, but they went with 5%, and now we're stuck with that for eternity. (There are a few voices here and there advocating for it to be 20% to match how ao5 drops the top and bottom. Give them exactly zero attention—they're just trying to make excuses for why they get bad solves so often.)

(I just really want to say this because I know many cubers are schoolkids and it would be extremely terrible if you get the idea that the cubing use of the word "average", as described by DGCubes, is universally recognised. It's not.)