• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

irtjames14

I'm wondering what the 'best' lubricant that can/should be used to speed up the MFJS 8x8 cube. I initially bought one in the past year (or maybe it's been over a year already), and put a few drops of Compound V on it, and that made the cube turn worse... So then I tried to put some DNM and Silk and that didn't help (maybe made it even worse because I may have overlubed the cube). So at some point, I decided to take the cube apart and wash the cube (big mistake... took me like 8 hours to put it back together, but that's a different story). After putting it back, the turning still sucked so I added some DNM and it actually made it worse... So now the outer layers on that cube is crap... (I'm blaming Compound V, which basically drove )

So I just ordered a new MFJS 8x8 and it arrived yesterday. Before I do anything with this one, I wanted to ask the community on how to go about speeding up this cube (I think this is factory lubed as well, but it sucks...) and what the 'best' lubricant here would be for this specific cube..

The MFJS 9x9-12x12 all turn quite a bit better than the 8x8, so I don't know why it's only the 8x8 that turns like crap...

I would appreciate any help here, thank you so much for your help!

Ash Black

WCA
2017BLAC06
YouTube
Visit Channel
the mf8 was made before the other cubes, so there might be hardware improvements on the 9x9 and up that make them turn better. i have an mf8, and it turns noticably slower than my 9x9.

irtjames14

the mf8 was made before the other cubes, so there might be hardware improvements on the 9x9 and up that make them turn better. i have an mf8, and it turns noticably slower than my 9x9.

I see... well that'd explain the slow MF8.. My MF9 (and 10, 11, 12) are all faster than the MF8 (especially the 10 and 11)..
Are you able to speed your MF8 at all? If so, how did you do it?

Ash Black

WCA
2017BLAC06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I see... well that'd explain the slow MF8.. My MF9 (and 10, 11, 12) are all faster than the MF8 (especially the 10 and 11)..
Are you able to speed your MF8 at all? If so, how did you do it?
i haven't done much to it. i find that speed isn't much of an issue for me, because when i turn fast the cube pops, so i'm fine with it being slow.

irtjames14

i haven't done much to it. i find that speed isn't much of an issue for me, because when i turn fast the cube pops, so i'm fine with it being slow.

Yes, while the cube is prone to pops at faster speeds, the cube just feels sluggish... jusy wish there was a way to speed it up even a little bit...

Waffleman101

What are you looking to do with the DNM or Silk? Do you own a heavy lube like weight 5 or 6? If so, get a DNM. It helps even out the cube with smoothness and speed. If you don’t own and heavy lubes, the silk is okay.
My first lube. I already bought silk, and it's coming tomorrow :D

xcross

My first lube. I already bought silk, and it's coming tomorrow :D

Ouch. First lube should always go in this order.
baa093c3f10348249cfd7892fcd92a0b.jpg

Silk isn’t really an all purpose lube.

Last edited:

xcross

I want to buy some lube, Traxxas 50k and DNM-37 look nice, where can I find them online for a cheap price ?

You can find Traxxas at your local Walmart, so easy there (you have to ask as they don’t shelve it) and DNM can be found on TheCubicle. It’s a good combo of traxxas and dnm as traxxas slows it down and smooths it, and DNM makes it faster again.

Last edited:

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Traxxas can be found easily on Amazon, hobby stores, and most cube shops. DNM-37, most shops don’t sell it, as it is the Cubicle’s premium lube. But I know KewbzUK sells it for £8, if you’re looking for slightly better shipping.

SpiFunTastic

WCA
2013KOTA01
Hey cubing community, recently i've been deciding whether to buy DNM or lubicle speedy... To me they both seem very similar... Can anyone tell me what both lubes offer and how they are different?

2018AMSB02

Premium Member
WCA
2018AMSB02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey cubing community, recently i've been deciding whether to buy DNM or lubicle speedy... To me they both seem very similar... Can anyone tell me what both lubes offer and how they are different?

I have tried both and I own speedy, but I think most people like DNM a lot better. My speedy lube doesn’t seem to have as much of an effect, I would definitely go with DNM. They both make the cube quicker and smoother, but I think DNM is designed for more smoothness and some speed too and speedy is the other way around. The main difference is that DNM has more of an effect

SpiFunTastic

WCA
2013KOTA01
I have tried both and I own speedy, but I think most people like DNM a lot better. My speedy lube doesn’t seem to have as much of an effect, I would definitely go with DNM. They both make the cube quicker and smoother, but I think DNM is designed for more smoothness and some speed too and speedy is the other way around. The main difference is that DNM has more of an effect
hmmm... so u mean that dnm is a fast and very smooth but speedy is very fast and smooth