• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Uli909

Hey guys please help me :) I will soon get a weilong WR and some traxxas 50k lube, but I've never lubed a cube before. Whats the best way of doing it, should I lube each piece individually or should I just pull the layers apart and put one or two drops in there?

PetrusQuber

WCA
2020XIEC01
Just drop some lube in maybe two spots and work it in. You’ll overlube if you do method 1. You can add more lube, but can’t get rid off lube effectively. So a drop at a time.
By the way you can lube the centre pieces too, just look on YouTube for some lubing tutorials.

fortissim2

WCA
2016LAUI01
I'm having trouble deciding what lubes I should use in my TengYun, since so far Maru and some other lubes last like 2 seconds before turning into a powder that I clean shortly after. Somebody in Discord suggested to use Compound V, but I don't have it. What other choices are good?

GAN 356 X

I'm having trouble deciding what lubes I should use in my TengYun, since so far Maru and some other lubes last like 2 seconds before turning into a powder that I clean shortly after. Somebody in Discord suggested to use Compound V, but I don't have it. What other choices are good?
Silk is pretty good n just about everything. I would recommend using a combination of silk and compound x to balance out the speed (thats what my friend did to his tengyun)

PetrusQuber

WCA
2020XIEC01
I’m not joking, but apparently Lars Petrus used candle wax for lube before he got silicone. Unfortunately it runs out fast, like you need to apply every week or something.
By the way CodingCuber he is trying to not buy from online shops. Have a look at WTB lubes.

DerpBoiMoon

So, if you own aYuxin Kylin V2 M then you know it's really dry and stiff out of the box. So, like any other reasonable person, me and my brother decided to lube it with vaseline.

And it turned out great! It felt like a Gans Air SM! It was so amazing!

Have you ever lubed a cube with vaseline? What was it and how'd it turn out?

EDIT: Thanks guys

Last edited:

PetrusQuber

WCA
2020XIEC01
It’s Petroluem Jelly, which is like diluted nail varnish remover to plastic. Check out the wiki on it.

‘These include lubricants such as vaseline, WD-40, or Liquid Wrench. It is recommended that you do not use these, but if you really want to, use them with caution, as petroleum and petroleum distillates speed the aging of plastic, and may dissolve the plastic resulting in destruction of the pieces and the internal mechanism. Excessive uses of these lubricants often lead to the center mechanism breaking apart completely. Some, however, have reported success using petroleum based lubricants to speed up breaking in of new cubes. It would be best if you have a tight cube (Rubik's brand) to lube it will a petroleum based jelly for about a month. Then take it all a part and cleaning it and use a silicone base lubricant.’

Want to hide this ad and support the community?