• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Learn intuitive f2l, that is, the logic of forming the basic 2 f2l pairs

a1a.png

a2a.png

you should have learned that by watching that video.

To drop your times, learn better ways to go from each of the remaining cases to the basic cases.
if you're having trouble, I made this "reduction" f2l method:

http://filipeteixeira.com.br/cube/f2l.pdf

this method consist on a progressive way to learn f2l

Try to understand how to form pairs and go from one complex case to a formed or splitted pair. Then look for algs and tricks for cases you're finding hard.

this might help: http://algdb.net/puzzle/333/f2l

have patience and good luck!

Last edited:

HyperCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
When I was a beginner, I just learned f2l intuitively and focused on getting to know them once you get more advanced, you can find better options. So yeah. Just try to learn it intuitively.

WoowyBaby

WCA
2018ISOM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ayy its J Perm, I learned F2L from him too, its probably the best video so you made a good choice.

If you JUST learned F2L, like in the past couple days or even week, the best thing to do to improve F2L is to just do a bunch of solves. Sounds lame, but you will get familiar with the cases, and this is really the best way to get faster.

But also, to make sure you're not doing some things inefficiently, try to follow these tips:
-Every F2L case should be solved with 0 or 1 cube rotation. If you're using 2 for any case, try to figure out a way to do it in only 1/0 (it’s always possible)
-Most F2L cases can be solved in ~7 moves, and 11 is the most you’ll ever need.
Whenever an edge or corner is not on the top layer, try to put it up in a way that makes one of the insert cases, although this isn’t that important if you’ve just learned F2L.
-Try to solving pairs blind, just look at at and solve it without looking at, this might help you with lookahead, although again, this isn’t that important if you’ve just learned F2L.

So basically the actual best advice here is just ‘practice’.

jlk

What do you mean by two look f2l? Ive never heard someone talk about it.
Do you mean inserting a corner and then doing an alg to insert the edge, cause that would be layer by layer f2l, not two look.
Yea, and the reason I call it 2 look f2l is because a youtuber name J Perm calls it that so yeee...

Last edited:

Etotheipi

Maybe he would call it two step f2l, two look would be more advanced than normal f2l. But you asked for tips, so ill try to help. Practice the alg a lot so that you dont have to think about the moves, and try to look for the next edge while doing the alg. If your still on a rubiks brand, then upgrade as soon as possible to a little magic or something. Practice in general will help. =D

WoowyBaby

WCA
2018ISOM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
2-look F2L, ah I wish we could do that-
1. EO2x2x3
2. Right Block
Petrus FTW??

In all seriousness, I’m not really sure what you mean, people are saying corners and edges separately which sort of makes sense I guess.
To get faster you’d probably benefit by just doing a bunch of solves. Sounds boring, but you’ll get used to it and is probably the best thing you can do.

But if you just want to generally get faster at F2L, I have three things:
1. Watch J-Perm’s F2L tutorial on YouTube. He shows you how to solve F2L in pairs instead of corners and edge separately.
2. Buy a Little Magic 3x3 cube etotheipi said if your cube is a Rubik’s brand or you simply think it sucks or you just want a good cube.
3. Practice solves. Once you learn normal F2L (pairs) then you might even be SLOWER with it! Don’t worry, if you simply do lots of solves you will get used to it and will become faster.

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't see a benefit on solving a corner then looking for it's edge then solving it.

I could recommend doing corners without rotating then trying to solve more than 1 edge a time with commutators.

But if you're putting so much effort on doing that, just learn the standard f2l already. :-\

Diving Cuber

Hello. I average around 19 seconds using the intuitive side of advanced f2l and a few f2l algorithms. I was wondering, how many advanced f2l cases do I need to know to become sub 15.

jronge94

WCA
2014RONG01
Hello. I average around 19 seconds using the intuitive side of advanced f2l and a few f2l algorithms. I was wondering, how many advanced f2l cases do I need to know to become sub 15.

You need to know none to become sub-15, feel free to learn as many as you like as they can help with your times.

Nilsibert

WCA
2014FREY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've picked up cubing again and decided to improve my f2l. I found some great solutions for bad cases with flipped edges or pieces in wrong slot (or both) etc that can be solved with some neat algs. My problem now is, should I even bother solving cases where for example an edge is in the wrong slot, provided its like the first or second pair? Or is it generally better to look for easier pairs which will end up taking out that edge anyway when solving? Then again what if I don't see an easy case?
It seems to me that using algs makes most sense with the last pair. How would you go about this? Or will my decision making improve anyway as my look ahead gets better?
Which brings me to my second problem: look ahead with certain algs. Take this for example; Rw' F U' R U M'
Cool case and all, but I have a hard time looking ahead when doing it. And if it's the first pair, should I even bother or is it better to look for an easier one? That edge will end up being taken out of that slot anyway.

tl;dr: how to decide when to use advanced solutions for weird cases and how to look ahead when doing so?

Freehat

Hey guys,

I've been cubing for a while and I'm a bit stuck at a point. My times are hitting 30s now for 3x3x3, but I'm a bit confused at how I should be progressing at F2L.

I learnt a lot of the F2L cases and it really helped, but of course the F2L algs are always oriented assuming you are inserting into the front right slot. Because of this, I always identify my next pair, turn the cube to the target slot, and then execute the alg (or intuitevly solve it).

Of course, everyone says the same thing, "To improve your F2L times you have to get comfortable inserting into the back slots", and, "you shouldn't be turning the cube". So here is where I'm confused. If the F2L cases are assuming front right target slot, then how am I supposed to apply them and insert into the back slots (or even the front left slot) without turning the cube?

In addition, making B moves when pearing up is terribly slow, and I've seen some example solves where they say to turn the cube instead of making B moves.

So, what should I be doing?

Sorry, I'm pretty confused!

Thanks!

masasayoyo

There is a little bit of misconception about back slots of f2l. What you should be capable of doing is executing all your f2l algs from both front and back left and right sides(as in the alg and its mirror) . What you should do for your first pair if you can execute and pair it in the front or back without cube rotating then do so, however if you have to rotate to perform your alg then rotate to have it in the back therefore your front slots will be empty. Your goal is to simply keep as many front slots empty as possible while not ever having to do a y2 in your f2l the only allowed cube rotations for f2l are y and y' as long as you can't do your pair from your current spot(if you can do it from your position front or back then don't rotate). In doing say the 3rd pair and you find yourself in need of a rotation, turn the cube so that the forth pair's location is on the front even if that means making the 3rd pair on the front too.

I hope this helped you better understand how to do f2l pairs in the back.