• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

adragast

Hello !

Have some of you ever tried the metronome excercise (trying to do one move per tick for the F2L) ? How fast can you go ?

I think it is a quite good excercise even though I am really bad at it, I can hardly go over the 80...(that must be why I am so slow solving the cube :p). I have also noticed that if I try to solve the cube until the end (normally the excercise is only for the F2L), I sometimes have some issues between the OLL and the PLL (my PLL recognition is not fast enough).

Kiyoshi

Theromy

I usually miss a beat while recognising the PLL unless it's a really obvious one ^^

chue.hsien

when i do with metronome, even at around 140 tempo, i dont miss a beat during f2l.. but when i dun use metronome, i tend to start lagging T_T

Your metronome speed

Hey everyone

I wanted to get an idea of how fast/slow everyone was compared to me. Use http://www.metronomeonline.com/. What is an average time for you, and what is the highest rate of BPM can you get without missing a beat?

For me at the moment my average is around 28-29 seconds.

At the moment, the highest i can get is 60BPM

jeff081692

WCA
2012JAME03
YouTube
Visit Channel
160 beats is my highest last time I tried. Probably the only reason I can get that high is because my algs for F2L have a high move count so its easy to look ahead but are also good for finger tricks. I average 26 seconds.
My last layer slows me down.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I average high 15's low 16's and I feel that 120 is easy for metronomeonline (except for the cross-1st pair transition which I REALLY have to concentrate for). I used to attempt averages at 180 and I could accurately solve without missing a beat about 50% of the time at that rate. I've been practicing metronome solving off and on for about 6 years now.

Chris

abr71310

WCA
2009SHAO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Memorization + F2L lookahead

I've just attempted my first time(s) practice sessions with a metronome...

I did horribly on 60BPM (messed up exactly 12 times per solve)
horribly on 45BPM (messed up ~2 - 4 times)
horribly on 30BPM (once, ALWAYS ONCE)
and okay on 20 BPM (Do I fail at life?)

Note that I only counted for F2L (incl. cross) since that is my most needed area of improvement...

Are there any general guidelines I should follow while using a metronome, and how exactly does one improve lookahead by using a metronome, if they suck at it to begin with? :(

Also, my cross memorization is horrid -- on 12 scrambles, I only got the entire cross + correct placement 2/12 times; 6 others i built it, but screwed up the colours, 2 others I built it but didn't correct bottom face, and the other 2 I only got 3 (last one messed up)... any tips on how to learn "relative position" and cross placement??:confused: I tried badmephisto's videos but they only work when I keep my eyes open during the cross solve.

Please note that I can't see the entire cross being built even in a 2 min pre-inspection; I can only see about 4 moves ahead and if a cross takes more than that I get confused as to how my turns affect the pieces...

My LL is ~12-19 seconds depending on the cases, but I can worry about that later; F2L is the biggest barrier stopping me from consistent sub-30s.

Sir E Brum

WCA
2010HANN01
Cross is mainly just about practice. After a while you will begin to see patterns for solving it. F2L is the same way. The way i practiced F2L cases was to find the c/e pair and then slot it without looking. For look ahead, just go slowly and think. Once you can do the F2L case with your eyes closed, you can look at other parts of the cube instead of what you are slotting.

Zeroknight

Like Sir E said, Cross is all about practice, practice, and practice.
The first time I tried getting good cross time, I could only do like 2 moves, but now I can do like 3-5 or 6 and eventually, you just intuitively pick up on it. Like for instance, I read to memorize your cube's color scheme. I tried, but failed. But after a lot of solves, studying the cross, I know know it pretty well. Like for example, if you say Red is your U and Yellow is your F, Blue is on the right, and Green is on the left.
You'll get there. Don't worry :-D

abr71310

WCA
2009SHAO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for the tips guys...

I should also mention this:
My SD for average of 12 to 24 solves is about 5 - 9 seconds, depending upon the day and how "focused" I am.

Is there an abnormal affect on your speedcubing abilities based upon environment and setting??

thendrix

F2L Look Ahead Methods?

I am currently around 45 - 55 sec on the 3 X 3 using Fridrich. I can tell my biggest bottleneck is looking ahead to quickly recognize which F2L alg to use. Any suggestions on how to learn this? Any websites you know of that discuss this?

Thanks

soccerking813

To practice, just slow down and try to never stop turning the faces. You will get faster as you do it more, until you get down in the 20s and 30s.
This is just what some one told me, not what I personally know.