• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

V Achyuthan

WCA
2022SUND04
YouTube
Visit Channel
This could work too as a variant, probably better for CFOPers, I basically just combined steps 1 & 2.
  • EOPair (or EOSquare)
  • Pair (or corner if square)
  • Finish
// Example //
Scramble: R2 B2 L2 D2 B' L2 B' L R' F' L' F R' F2 U'
U' r U R' U' M // EOPair (unintentional square)
R U R' U R U R' U2 // Pair
R U R U R2 D' R U R' D R2 U2 R2 // Finish
Edit: also interesting realisation for the final alg, you only need to look at the U layer, as 1 edge and 1 corner are not in the U layer, so are affected by pieces in the U-layer. So you can recognise the corner pattern, then probably the location of the U layer edges
Edit 2: There is actually more like 430 ish algs in the final step. I might work on a way to reduce this alg count.

// Major Edit - big change //
The reason for the huge amount of algs is because there are 5 possible configurations of two solved top layer pairs, leading to 5 algsets of ~85 algs each. This is not only impractical for being able to use the method, but one of the sets in particular has very bad cases. So, I decided that having a block with only 1 possible position would fare better for this method.
I have come up with some steps that should work, and the alg reduction is huge! There are three ways to go about it, I don't know which is better.

Variant A
- EOPair
- CPSquare (amount of algs is like ZBLS vs VHLS, you can have the pair and edge ready, then do it, or just do it)
- Finish (71 algs, position square at UBL)

Variant B
- EO
- CPPair
OR
- EOPair
- CP
OR even
- EOCP

THEN
- Finish (~170 algs) with the algset (variant B1)
OR
- Conjugated 2GLL (84 algs, harder recog) (variant B2)

Variant C
- EOPair
- Conjugated ZBLL (~430 algs I forgot how many)

I think variant A could be the best all round, so here's an example for it (I don't have CE with me right now so I cannot gen CP-based algs because the batch solver doesn't do that)
Examples
Scramble: R2 B2 D L2 D L2 D2 B2 R2 U' R B U B' R'
F' U F // EOPair
R2 U' L' U R' U' L R' // CPSquare (idrk algs for this)
R2 U R2 U' R2 U R2 U2 R2 U2 R2 U // Finish
Well then I am gonna start generating algs for variant A or if they are already generated gonna start learning them.

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01
Well then I am gonna start generating algs for variant A or if they are already generated gonna start learning them.
Trying to learn them may not be the best idea at least yet, as I don't know how worth it this LSLL method is (although I've heard you want to learn a LOT of methods).
I've genned most of the algs so far. I ran a search through the batch solver with rRU gen and 15 move search depth. 2 cases failed (16+ moves rRU), and a few should be regenned with larger depth and/or a different subset (RUD or RUF, or RUFD - so long as the algs are good). I will link the document when it's done, as along with these issues I have not attached images to the algs yet.
Edit: These algs require that the DFR corner is at DFR, which should just be a 3 mover if not already skipped after CPSquare, which the algs for (when I get round to them) will do anyway.
Edit2: There will be a beginner variant of the final step, where you orient corners, then permute edges. CO will not affect EP, so you could 1 look like this, although it would be slower.

Last edited:
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel

so... I was thinking about this method:

cross
f2l-1 (pretty basic)
eole (solve last edge while orienting remaining edges)
lcep (solve last corner while permuting remaing edges)
l4c (last four corners duh)

Thom S.

cross
f2l-1 (pretty basic)
I am like 87% sure this has existed for at least 10 years, I just can't remember which website I have seen this.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel

cross
f2l-1 (pretty basic)
Ah yes. Another ZZ variant ported to CFOP with extra steps.

Caden Fisher

WCA
2022FISH12
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello. I just watched J Perms video again on solving a 4x4 into a 2x2 and then I tried and it was pretty hard. I was wondering if there was a tutorial somewhere for how to do this consistently if not efficiently. Just for something fun and different to learn. Thanks

V Achyuthan

WCA
2022SUND04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello. I just watched J Perms video again on solving a 4x4 into a 2x2 and then I tried and it was pretty hard. I was wondering if there was a tutorial somewhere for how to do this consistently if not efficiently. Just for something fun and different to learn. Thanks
yes. There is a method called 2cep.
Here is the video

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01
This could work too as a variant, probably better for CFOPers, I basically just combined steps 1 & 2.
  • EOPair (or EOSquare)
  • Pair (or corner if square)
  • Finish
// Example //
Scramble: R2 B2 L2 D2 B' L2 B' L R' F' L' F R' F2 U'
U' r U R' U' M // EOPair (unintentional square)
R U R' U R U R' U2 // Pair
R U R U R2 D' R U R' D R2 U2 R2 // Finish
Edit: also interesting realisation for the final alg, you only need to look at the U layer, as 1 edge and 1 corner are not in the U layer, so are affected by pieces in the U-layer. So you can recognise the corner pattern, then probably the location of the U layer edges
Edit 2: There is actually more like 430 ish algs in the final step. I might work on a way to reduce this alg count.

// Major Edit - big change //
The reason for the huge amount of algs is because there are 5 possible configurations of two solved top layer pairs, leading to 5 algsets of ~85 algs each. This is not only impractical for being able to use the method, but one of the sets in particular has very bad cases. So, I decided that having a block with only 1 possible position would fare better for this method.
I have come up with some steps that should work, and the alg reduction is huge! There are three ways to go about it, I don't know which is better.

Variant A
- EOPair
- CPSquare (amount of algs is like ZBLS vs VHLS, you can have the pair and edge ready, then do it, or just do it)
- Finish (71 algs, position square at UBL)

Variant B
- EO
- CPPair
OR
- EOPair
- CP
OR even
- EOCP

THEN
- Finish (~170 algs) with the algset (variant B1)
OR
- Conjugated 2GLL (84 algs, harder recog) (variant B2)

Variant C
- EOPair
- Conjugated ZBLL (~430 algs I forgot how many)

I think variant A could be the best all round, so here's an example for it (I don't have CE with me right now so I cannot gen CP-based algs because the batch solver doesn't do that)
Examples
Scramble: R2 B2 D L2 D L2 D2 B2 R2 U' R B U B' R'
F' U F // EOPair
R2 U' L' U R' U' L R' // CPSquare (idrk algs for this)
R2 U R2 U' R2 U R2 U2 R2 U2 R2 U // Finish
Update: I have genned all the algs for variant A (which I believe is the best variant for all round purposes). I also decided on names for the alg sets. CPSquare is CPS (self explanatory), and the final step is TLS, which stands for "triple last slot", because it's basically solving 3 F2L-1s at once. If anyone has a better name let me know.
TLS has 71 algs
CPS has 48 algs (20 more if you wanted to learn the cases with the square formed, although this comes at a minimal benefit as it can be set up in 3 moves to Cw or Ccw pair)

I'll link the doc with the algs, although beware that some (in red) are bad and need a re-gen, and there are no pictures. I have to thank trangium's batch solver, it was incredibly useful as I could gen all the algs from my phone in under 5 minutes! Pictures will take a while.

This is all still very experimental and should be taken with caution, learning these algs may be a waste of your time.

Doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zmVdegLnQjD5zMz6cARDM4lOdPTcKQih30KrN7Yt8dw/edit

Swagrid

YouTube
Visit Channel
Here is a beginner tutorial for a 4x4 - 2x2 reduction method better than J Perm's (shoutout Rowan Fortier for covering this in his reduction iceberg video lmao)

Edit: I got ninja'd in the time it took for me to find the video but ah well i'm not deleting this post yall can cope