• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
While working on my Last Layer I am orienting and permuting the edges first, then the corners. For the corners I am using U R U’ L’ U R’ U’ L but it feels clunky and slow. I’m looking for a smoother, more intuitive algorithm alternative.

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Last edited:
you can use 4LLL, which is:

1. edge orientation
  2. corner orientation
  3. corner permutation
  4. edge permutation

there are more algs than what you're currently using but you can use the first alg of each category several times
http://filipeteixeira.com.br/cubehelper/ (the page is in brazillian portuguese but it's self-explanatory)

for corner orientation this is the way to do it:
https://www.speedsolving.com/threads/how-to-solve-corner-orientation-with-sune-and-antisune.47991/

While that was helpful, if I solve the edges first, then using sune/anti-sune to solve the corners destroys the solved edges. So far what has worked well for me is to use F R U R’ U’ F’ to get my top cross, then use Sune to solve the edges. I’m looking for a better alg to move the corners without changing the edges.

Mlange90

Just learn a few more algs. It’s like 2-look, or at least what I use. I know chameleon, bow tie, the one that looks like a car ( which is F three sexy moves F’), headlights, the car one but with two like a chameleon on one side, sune, anti sune. And a couple others. Idk if that made any sense, but I learned them from badmephisto years ago. So I’m probably old school lol. But they aren’t to hard to memorize, especially if you’re doing sune and anti.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
While that was helpful, if I solve the edges first, then using sune/anti-sune to solve the corners destroys the solved edges. So far what has worked well for me is to use F R U R’ U’ F’ to get my top cross, then use Sune to solve the edges. I’m looking for a better alg to move the corners without changing the edges.

I don't know to what you are referring by starting your sentence with "while", but I can try to give you comprehensive "better" LL.
(EDIT: This was before the threads got merged and the other quote showed up)

If you want to try to stay with the main path that you're currently on, fruruf and sune are pretty good ways to solve edges before corners.
To solve your corners, do Niklas (R U' L' U R' U' L), which will cycle the corners around. After you can do a right handed sune and then a left handed sune (R U R' U R U2 R' L' U' L U' L' U2 L).

However, I wouldn't recommend this method as it doesn't work very well when you try to get faster. For that, I would recommend doing 4LLL which has around 20 ish algorithms, is actually only 4 looks, as opposed to 4 algs with sometimes 8-9 looks.

First you would orient edges with fruruf and it's inverse. There is also an alg for orienting all 4 edges.
The parenthesis are just to show how algorithms have very similar parts to them.
L: F (R U R' U') F'
Bar: F (U R U' R') F'
Dot: F (R U R' U') S (R U R' U') Fw'

There are 7 algs for orientating the corners. This is called OCLL (COLL is a different thing where corner permutation is solved at the same time).
Sune: R U R' U R U2 R'
Anti-Sune: R U2 R' U' R U' R'
Pi: R U2' R2' U' R2 U' R2' U2' R
L: R U2 R' U' (R U R' U') (R U R' U') R U' R' (This is just triple sune)
H: R U2 R' U' (R U R' U') R U' R' (This is just double sune)
U: R2' D' R U2 R' D R U2 R (The <D> is done with the left ring finger push/pull)
T: R' U' R' D' R U R' D R2 -OR- Rw U R' U' Rw' F R F' (One is a little faster but the second is shorter)

After using 2 of these 10 algorithms, OLL should be done. The next thing to do is to solve PLL.

There are two algorithms for solving corner PLL.
Adjacent swaps
J-perm: (R U R' F') (R U R' U') (R' F R2) U' R' -OR- T-perm: (R U R' U') (R' F R2) (U' R' U' R U R' F')
(Both of these are really good adjacent swap corner algorithms. J is arguably better than T, but they're both really fast.)

Diagonal Swap
Y-perm: (F R U' R' U' R U R' F') (R U R' U') (R' F R F')

There are 4 algorithms left for EPLL (edge permutation of the last layer).
Ua: M2' U M U2 M' U M2 -OR- R U' R U R U R U' R' U' R2
Ub: M2' U' M U2 M' U' M2 (The <U'> is done with the right index finger dragging FUR to RUB) -OR- R2 U R U R' U' R' U' R' U R'
Z: M' U M2' U M2' U M' U2 M2' -OR- M2' U M2' U M' U2 M2' U2 M'
H: M2' U M2' U2 M2' U M2'

If you picked one algorithm every time that I gave an alternate, then that's only 16 algorithms total, and you probably already know some of them. If you learned the alternates too (I put the one that I recommend first), which I would recommend, then that's still only 21 algorithms.
Once/If you learn these 16 algorithms, work on recognition and execution, your LL will improve dramatically.

Last edited:
Thanks +GenTheThief. I think that’s exactly what I’m looking for. I like the way you explain your breakdowns. Knowing that one of the algs is basically a double sune or a triple sune is very helpful and simplifies the explainations a lot. I need to print this out as a practice reference. I want to be faster but not for the sake of being fast. I’d rather learn a simple method that works, then get faster through practice, then learn more efficient algorithms as I get better.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
I need a Ja perm, my Jb perm is like this R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U'. Is it possible to make it turn into a left sided alg?
You could just mirror the alg like I have done, so it would be: L' U' L F L' U' L U L F' L2 U L U
And of course hold it on the opposite side of the Jb perm

GAN 356 X

I'm currently learning the N Perms as well! Here are the algorithms I'm using. They're definitely good ones, because they're the same ones Feliks uses.

Na Perm – left image: (R U R' U) (R U R' F') (R U R' U') (R' F R2 U') R' U2 (R U' R')
Nb Perm – right image: (R' U R U') (R' F' U' F) (R U R' F) R' F' (R U' R)

View attachment 10641 View attachment 10640
Hope this helps!

Images created using Conrad Rider's VisualCube
They're the ones I use too... Im pretty bad at Nb though

C

Cubinwitdapizza

So I’m gonna try to get into one handed and I wanted to see if anybody had some completely 2 gen (R, U) algs than that would be helpful. Thanks!

xyzzy

So I’m gonna try to get into one handed and I wanted to see if anybody had some completely 2 gen (R, U) algs than that would be helpful. Thanks!
R and U generate only 1/48 of all possible last layer cases; this subset is called 2GLL.