• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Teoidus

exaple solve BLRRM (blockbuilding left irght reduction method:

D2 r2 U' R' F
U R2 U r U' M U' M2
U R2 U R' U2 R U R' U' R2 U R' U R U R' U2 R U R'
U2 // alg
Where's the scramble..?

And you can use proper spelling/punctuation/capitalization please? We already have one lookadoo as is...

Pyjam

Premium Member
BLockbuilding left right reduction method (BLRRM)

1. build a 1x2x3 intuitively on l
2. build solve the half cross that's on the d layer and the m slice while orientating the the edges
3. solve the rest of the cube with just R and U moves (sometimes u get parity, you can fix that by using commutatators)

It's a wonderful method. :)
We call it Leor, for Left – Edge Orientation (and middle slice) – Right

You can't finish the cube with <R, U> only unless you solve the corner permutation during step 1 (and that is really hard).
But you can build the right block with <R, U> only and the last layer with the method of your choice.

Hazel

Premium Member
idea~
1) 2x2x3 in bottom-back minus DB edge
2a) Solve FR, FL, and FD edges
2b) DB+EO
3) Last 2 corners + LL (not sure what the best way of doing this would be)

new method (bepp)

1) 2x2x3 block

1a) 2x2x2 block
create a 2x2x2 block

1b) 1x2x2 block
create an adjacent 1x2x2 block and attach it to the 2x2x2 block

2) eo
orient all edges and solve DF (with block in DB)

3) pairs

3a) forge pairs
forge the 2 remaining f2l pairs anywhere on the cube

3b) l2p+co
using an algorithm place the final 2 pairs while orienting all corners (1/115)

4) pll
permute all last layer pieces

Thom S.

new method (bepp)

1) 2x2x3 block

1a) 2x2x2 block
create a 2x2x2 block

1b) 1x2x2 block
create an adjacent 1x2x2 block and attach it to the 2x2x2 block

2) eo
orient all edges and solve DF (with block in DB)

3) pairs

3a) forge pairs
forge the 2 remaining f2l pairs anywhere on the cube

3b) l2p+co
using an algorithm place the final 2 pairs while orienting all corners (1/115)

4) pll
permute all last layer pieces

At first, that's really similar to Petrus, but undebately worse.
My suggestion for you would be to just insert the last pair with Winter Variation or Summer variation(or even leave out EO and do VLS if you want to become a crazy dude), dealing with whole pairs or corners while trying to do something efficient.

Although your Idea to solve EO and DR/DL at the same time could result in some helpful algorithms

Cubow

ZZ-B+

So as I know phasing just permutes the Edges so they are opposite to each other, but it doesnt completely permute them (correct me if I am wrong).

ZZ-B is a method, that uses phasing to reduce the LL algs to around 160-170

However, with Phasing, that completely orients the Edges we would have a CxLL Case. If my Calculations are correct it would be around 50 Algs for 1LLL.

Seems unrealistic because 1LLL with 50 algs would revolutionize (I am german, sorry for bad english) Speedcubing.

Would it work?

Btw this is my first post on speedsolving.com

Teoidus

It would give you a very small "1LLL" set, but it's a lot of work to permute edges fully, and for not much benefit (L4C isn't amazing)

Also, welcome to the forums :)

Cubow

It would give you a very small "1LLL" set, but it's a lot of work to permute edges fully, and for not much benefit (L4C isn't amazing)

Also, welcome to the forums :)

That idea is the Reason why I signed up ^^

Before I signed up (20 min ago) I played a bit around with my cube. Permuting the edges while solving last F2L pair would be only 6 cases. 6 Easy cases, around 7 moves with triggers only (RUR‘ and that stuff). So it wouldnt be hard. And then... 50 LLL Cases...

Seems unrealistic, that no one thought about that before so I guess I made a mistake somewhere... This cant work :eek:

Edit: Just looked it up, it would be around 86 algs with an average movecount of 12.
Seems ok to me for a 1LLL. The avg movecount would be even less than ZBLL then but with easier recognition and less algs. However, phasing+ would be around 5 moves more for F2L than with normal ZZ but because of the recognition of ZBLL being really hard, ZZ-B+ so phasing+ (thats how I call it :p) + L4C may be even faster than ZBLL...

With just 86 algs. Well, thats an achievement :eek:

Last edited:

Thom S.

This cant work

Well, L4C is already 84 Algorithms so it's a bit bigger than 50 but still, it would have been a really good idea if L4C were a good set, unfortunitely it's considered to have the worst Last Layer cases.
I'd love to see what you/we can come up with different phasing things.

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
CPLS -> 2GLL is probably a better idea in a similar vein, because 2GLL algs are faster:

1. Make a pair
2. Insert pair while forcing a 2GLL case (6 algs)
3. 2GLL (84 algs)

or

1. Insert FR edge
2. Solve DFR corner while forcing a 2GLL case (30 algs)
3. 2GLL

(Algs for the second step are here)

Last edited:

Hazel

Premium Member
CPLS -> 2GLL is probably a better idea in a similar vein, because 2GLL algs are faster:

1. Make a pair
3. 2GLL (84 algs)

or

1. Insert FR edge
3. 2GLL

(Algs are here)
If you expanded it to any F2L-1 method (CFOP, blockbuilding, etc.) then you could insert the FR edge while orienting LL edges as step 1 and you wouldn't have to do things like EOLine

Cubow

If you expanded it to any F2L-1 method (CFOP, blockbuilding, etc.) then you could insert the FR edge while orienting LL edges as step 1 and you wouldn't have to do things like EOLine

EOLine doesnt only give you oriented edges on the last layer, but you also dont have to do cube rotations

Cubow

1. Make a pair
3. 2GLL (84 algs)

or

1. Insert FR edge
3. 2GLL

(Algs are here)

I understand the first part but not the second, however it sounds like a good idea.
A 2GLL-Case is btw a case where corners are permuted and edges oriented.
Using ZZ or any other EO method Edges would already be oriented however I can imagine cornerpermutation being hard.
As corners arent oriented recognition could be a big problem.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
EOLine doesnt only give you oriented edges on the last layer, but you also dont have to do cube rotations
Yes though at the same time you could also do something akin to FB->2x2x3->EO and still get no cube rotations. You can arguably also have betters lookahead.
I understand the first part but not the second, however it sounds like a good idea.
A 2GLL-Case is btw a case where corners are permuted and edges oriented.
Using ZZ or any other EO method Edges would already be oriented however I can imagine cornerpermutation being hard.
As corners arent oriented recognition could be a big problem.
I think he knows exactly what 2GLL is (you might want to look up his yt) :p
Also, the recognition for 2GLL is actually reasonably simple especially when compared to things such as ZBLL so misoriented corners would be fine. In fact, you only really need to look at the orientation of the corners and 2 edges to work out any case.

Also, please don't double post. If you feel like you want to add something or reply to another comment edit the original post. Your analysis is good and it looks like you're beginning to get a sense of what is good and what is bad but remember there are still rules on the forum to follow :)

Cubow

Yes though at the same time you could also do something akin to FB->2x2x3->EO and still get no cube rotations. You can arguably also have betters lookahead.

I think he knows exactly what 2GLL is (you might want to look up his yt) :p
Also, the recognition for 2GLL is actually reasonably simple especially when compared to things such as ZBLL so misoriented corners would be fine. In fact, you only really need to look at the orientation of the corners and 2 edges to work out any case.

Also, please don't double post. If you feel like you want to add something or reply to another comment edit the original post. Your analysis is good and it looks like you're beginning to get a sense of what is good and what is bad but remember there are still rules on the forum to follow :)

Ok. Btw I had to look up what 2GLL is so I just explained it quickly for others who read this post who dont know ^^

But I think in general for a new efficient method the best base to start with is ZZ. It has blockbuilding which is more efficient than F2L in CFOP for example. Because its 3-Gen (Edges already oriented) there are no cuberotations and I personally think that recognition is alot easier when edges are already oriented, than if they arent.
ZZ basically combines Roux (blockbuilding, no cube rotations) with CFOP (easy F2L) for the first to layers + EO which is a small step with huge impact. I guess ZZ right now is the best method for the „future“ as it also allows more variants than Roux for example. ZZ makes also 1LLL possible which may be the standard for future speedsolving. I guess we should focus on LS-techniques (phasing). However it looks like there basically cant be anything new about phasing so we need different approaches to find a more effective way for LL+F2L. ZZ-CT is a good example, I heard that Chris Tran once said „Think outside the box“. I guess thats a good example.

Or maybe we should search for a completely different basemethod, Petrus also seems promising. Lars Petrus said on his website „A good Method does always something useful“. Maybe we should think about something different than solving a last-layer, Roux for example which solves LSE at the end. A last layer however always involves breaking something which gets us to long algorithms and while we do those it doesnt „always do something useful“.
As I said ZZ seems promising, especially compared to ZZ but a completely new method „Thinking outside the box“ + „Does always something useful“ would be really interesting. I guess we should get away from our „LBL“ thinking for that, maybe even without blockbuilding like in petrus. This sound weird but I feel like that the „LBL“ approach limits us in certain ways

That was a long post :eek:
Sorry when I missed the topic a bit, its just some general ideas of how a new method „could“ look like. Maybe you already knew all what I wrote but thats just what came into my mind rn

Pyjam

Premium Member
But I think in general for a new efficient method the best base to start with is ZZ.

I have been using ZZ for many years and then I've switched to Leor which I think is a step forward.
Leor is ZZ with the first two steps reversed: Left block first (à la Roux) then EO-line.

For me, Leor has many advantages over ZZ:
1) You take profit of pieces already in good place for a quick first block.
2) After step 1, there are no L moves until the last layer. At leat no L-moves during F2L.
3) During step 2 (EO-line), you may influence step 3 (right block); or sometimes a large part of the right block is done.
See: example 1, example 2.
4) The method is very flexible: you may start to orient the edges at the end of step 1; you may start to build the right block during step 2; you may do a partial EO-line, then complete the right block, then finish EO-line... You adapt to the situation.
5) Leor works very well for 4x4 too. See: four examples.

For the last layer, I've found that building the right block minus 1 edge then doing COLL + L5EPLL is more efficient (thanks to Justin Taylor), because L5EPLL adds only 24 algs over EPLL (12 for each edge FR and BR, but many are obvious mirrors) but they are not longer than EPLL algs and sometime they are shorter. Moreover Right block -1 edge is easier to perform (when building a complete right block is easy, I do it, of course).

It takes time to become accustomed to the different way to do the EO-line. It needs a lot of practice to find some tricks.

Overall, the ergonomics is better than ZZ, with a lot of possible optimizations.
And the method is fun because all 4 steps are very different.

You can find many examples I've posted in the 3x3x3 example solves thread.

Last edited:

efattah

While I think ZZ variants can be fast, I have stated earlier in the thread that after great experimentation with many different methods I believe the future of speed solving will be in direct solving, rather than anything that relies heavily on orienting a large number of pieces then solving them afterwards. While the fastest solvers would be direct-solvers, a great majority of cubers might still use orient-permute methods due to easier recognition and fewer algorithms. So it depends which group you are developing for.

Y2k1

WCA
2017AHME03
I have been using ZZ for many years and then I've switched to Leor which I think is a step forward.
Leor is ZZ with the first two steps reversed: Left block first (à la Roux) then EO-line.

For me, Leor has many advantages over ZZ:
1) You take profit of pieces already in good place for a quick first block.
2) After step 1, there are no L moves until the last layer. At leat no L-moves during F2L.
3) During step 2 (EO-line), you may influence step 3 (right block); or sometimes a large part of the right block is done.
See: example 1, example 2.
4) The method is very flexible: you may start to orient the edges at the end of step 1; you may start to build the right block during step 2; you may do a partial EO-line, then complete the right block, then finish EO-line... You adapt to the situation.
5) Leor works very well for 4x4 too. See: four examples.

For the last layer, I've found that building the right block minus 1 edge then doing COLL + L5EPLL is more efficient (thanks to Justin Taylor), because L5EPLL adds only 24 algs over EPLL (12 for each edge FR and BR, but many are obvious mirrors) but they are not longer than EPLL algs and sometime they are shorter. Moreover Right block -1 edge is easier to perform (when building a complete right block is easy, I do it, of course).

It takes time to become accustomed to the different way to do the EO-line. It needs a lot of practice to find some tricks.

Overall, the ergonomics is better than ZZ, with a lot of possible optimizations.
And the method is fun because all 4 steps are very different.

You can find many examples I've posted in the 3x3x3 example solves thread.
This sounds interesting. Can I have a link to the algs for L5EPLL? (Sorry if posted earlier I havent seen these algs earlier.