• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Actually, it would only be 8, as at least one edge will always be pre-oriented, making it compareable to Petrus EO. Petrus EO, contrary to popular belief, isn't that hard or time consuming. You only need to find two flipped edges and then you can recognize the next two while fixing the first two, and keep repeating this.
Yeah, it's much harder to do that with YruRU though, which was kinda the point.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
This probably already exists as a variant of Guimond, but here it goes:

CO - similar to Roux EO, where two opposite colors should be pointing up/down. This can be done by solving 4 of them into a face then doing an OLL(probably could be done algorithmically also)
Separate - Separate white and yellow into their correct layers, like making the squares on a 2x2x3
PBL

WoowyBaby

WCA
2018ISOM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Probably worded that wrong, I meant it could probably be done algorithmically in one step instead of make one face then OLL

CO can be done intuitively in less than 4 moves on average (3.7) with ease. Doing any intermediary steps like making a face and then OLL on the other side is a huge, like HUGE, waste of moves, time, and effort.
If you're wondering how to go about doing this, I'm happy to explain.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
CO can be done intuitively in less than 4 moves on average (3.7). Doing any intermediary steps like making a face and then OLL on the other side is a huge, like HUGE, waste of moves, time, and effort.
If you're wondering how to go about doing this, I'm happy to explain.

Wait really? I'd love for you to explain how

WoowyBaby

WCA
2018ISOM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
First off, grab a 2x2 cube. (Do NOT use a 3x3 right now, it will be harder)

Then, apply the sequence R2 U F2 U' F2 R2. (Or you could do any other sequence that also preserves CO)

Now, do R U R'. You will notice that you have 3 corners that are not oriented. You can use moves that preserve CO to set your 3 'bad' corners up to this case.
For example, solve your 2x2 cube and apply R' U' R U' R' U2 R. This is an antisune, but you can definitely orient the corners in less than 7. Notice that you can do R2 U' to set up the 3 corner / R U' R' case, and then simply do the R U' R' trigger. So, your CO solution would be R2 U' R U' R' (5).

Are you still following me?
Haha I hope so.
If you have 3 misoriented corners, you can also use the trigger R U R'. So R U R' / R U' R' both work to setup 3 bad, but also they are literally just different by an R2 move so not very different. Again, use the moveset that preserves CO (R2, U, F2) to set these up.

Now, there is also the R U2 R' trigger for 4 corners and the single move trigger R, also for 4 corners.
Yes, you can orient 4 corners in 1 move. I won't get into as much detail for these because you know the drill by now. Set up and trigger.

Try these setup exercises for 4 bad corners:
Apply R2 U' F2 U2 R U2 R' U2 L2 U2. Solve CO on white/yellow in only 4 moves by setting up to and using the R U2 R' trigger.
Apply F2 U R2 U' F2 R' U2 F2 U' R2. Solve CO on white/yellow in only 3 moves by setting up to using the single move R trigger.

Now, here are some random 2x2 scrambles and efficient CO examples.
R' F U' F U R F' U2 F ----- y' U2 R2 U R // CO (4)
U' F2 U2 F2 R F' R2 F' R ----- z x R2 U2 R // CO (3)
F' R' U2 F' U F R U2 F ----- y z R U' R' // CO (3)
U F' R2 U' R U R' F' R2 ----- y F R U' R' // CO (4)

Very useful tip: If it isn't easy to set things up, just look at a different axis / colors and most likely it will be a much easier case.

If you have any questions then feel free to ask!

brododragon

Then, apply the sequence R2 U F2 U' F2 R2. (Or you could do any other sequence that also preserves CO)

Now, do R U R'. You will notice that you have 3 corners that are not oriented. You can use moves that preserve CO to set your 3 'bad' corners up to this case.
For example, solve your 2x2 cube and apply R' U' R U' R' U2 R. This is an antisune, but you can definitely orient the corners in less than 7. Notice that you can do R2 U' to set up the 3 corner / R U' R' case, and then simply do the R U' R' trigger. So, your CO solution would be R2 U' R U' R' (5).

Haha I hope so.
If you have 3 misoriented corners, you can also use the trigger R U R'. So R U R' / R U' R' both work to setup 3 bad, but also they are literally just different by an R2 move so not very different. Again, use the moveset that preserves CO (R2, U, F2) to set these up.

Now, there is also the R U2 R' trigger for 4 corners and the single move trigger R, also for 4 corners.
Yes, you can orient 4 corners in 1 move. I won't get into as much detail for these because you know the drill by now. Set up and trigger.

Apply R2 U' F2 U2 R U2 R' U2 L2 U2. Solve CO on white/yellow in only 4 moves by setting up to and using the R U2 R' trigger.
Apply F2 U R2 U' F2 R' U2 F2 U' R2. Solve CO on white/yellow in only 3 moves by setting up to using the single move R trigger.

Very useful tip: If it isn't easy to set things up, just look at a different axis / colors and most likely it will be a much easier case.

Thank you so much. Bookmarked. I have been trying to do this for a while now. Another thing that the masterful Neptunian could explain is CP.

Skewbed

WCA
2015LYON01

Haha I hope so.

It’s just like domino reduction for corners only, because it is!

Athefre

Haha I hope so.

Some years ago I used this technique, and a little more, in an attempt to make a simple beginner 2x2 method. Simple enough that anyone without solving knowledge could easily use. Not sure if I succeeded or not because I never asked anyone to try.

I used 3x3 scrambles in that post for some reason lol.

Devagio

this is literally briggs2 but with non matching centers for some reason
This is probably the natural thought progression then. Nonetheless I just had a look at B2 and it’s quite different.
CP is done quite differently in B2. Planning a block while predicting CP is extremely complicated; and the B2 way of doing it is quite inflexible.
Here, CP is done best while forming a line. Unlike in B2, CP here requires an entire trigger rather than a single move, but that is a more human way of doing it. The flexibility of the trigger facilitates forming a line, and it can be done in inspection much more realistically (and efficently).
Now extending a line to a block (like in YruRU) is possible, but it is much simpler to simply ignore the centre. This will firstly ensure you always figure out the most efficient way of doing it (since only two pieces are involved, the system remains simple); moreover since we are doing M moves to finish anyway, we can solve the centre when we have relatively lesser pressure of looking ahead. This doesn't cost any moves or major regrips, enhances lookahead and efficiency during the start of the solve, and moreover enables us to influence EO much more realistically and consistently compared to as intended by BLS.
Off the point, a minor variation is also that the 4-seasons(?) algset includes the R U R' insertion which is what a lot of pairs will set up to (and potentially the r U' r' if people use it often enough, thus the name "4"-seasons).
The long and short of it is, the way CP is done in both methods is vastly different, and that completely changes the texture of the rest of the solve.

Devagio

Actually, it would only be 8, as at least one edge will always be pre-oriented, making it compareable to Petrus EO. Petrus EO, contrary to popular belief, isn't that hard or time consuming. You only need to find two flipped edges and then you can recognize the next two while fixing the first two, and keep repeating this.
Not the point, but it does make a difference if its 8 edges or 9. While there can be a maximum of 8 misoriented edges, we will need to check the orientation of at least 8 edges in YruRU to determine the EO case. If there were actually only 8 edges, the task would simplify as we could look at 7 edges and be sure. This difference of checking 1 edge is much larger than it looks.

brododragon

Not the point, but it does make a difference if its 8 edges or 9. While there can be a maximum of 8 misoriented edges, we will need to check the orientation of at least 8 edges in YruRU to determine the EO case. If there were actually only 8 edges, the task would simplify as we could look at 7 edges and be sure. This difference of checking 1 edge is much larger than it looks.
You don't need to check it because you can deduce what it is from the other edges. (Odd number of flipped edges = 9th edge is flipped, Even number = Not flipped)

Ayce

So, you might be thinking, what does CFLIP mean and why is it flawed. Well CFLIP means corner flip but a bit shorter and better to distinct a corner flip, and my substep. I'll get to why it is flawed towards the end. CFLIP is a substep where you flip one corner at the start of your solve to get a better OLL. This will not help you if all of your OLL is within a reasonable time between the hard and easy. (or at all but again I'll get to that.) But for those who have stupidly varying OLL times then this might make a bit more sense. Here is a simple layout
  1. Plan out your cross like you usually would.
  2. Since you know your cross color, go ahead and do the cursed thing and flip your corner.
  3. Solve the cube just like you usually would but stop at OLL
  4. Flip the corner again into an easier case.
  5. Continue onto PLL ignoring the crime you just committed.
BUT this concept is a direct violation of Regulation 3h3 "Any modifications to a puzzle that result in poor performance by a competitor are not grounds for additional attempts."
Not only that but it would be hard to explain this in a reconstruction.
Did I write an article about a useless substep because I was bored in quarantine? Absolutely yes.

I do have one request. If you could try this out and tell me what you usually average and then do an Ao5 using my concept that would be great.

Ayce

You can make it even better: If you get a bad F2L case then you can flip then. Also when I did this my flip in F2L solved a pair and the flip at OLL gave me a CLL skip and a super easy ELL XD
Still not complete legal, but if you are sneaky and with dishonest intentions then most judges won’t notice anything besides a few weird corner twists

brododragon

"Any modifications to a puzzle that result in poor performance by a competitor are not grounds for additional attempts."
That has nothing to do with it. That says you can't make your puzzle intentionally worse just so you get extra solves.