• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Eelephant

when calculating your ao5 or whatever, do,you do a straight calculation, or drop the highest and lowest or anything?

Duncan Bannon

There is no Ao3. Its called Mean of 3. You Add all up divide by 3. So 3+4+5=12 then 12/3 is 4 so mean of 4 seconds.

For ao5 You drop fastest and slowest. Or (2)+3+4+5+(6)=12 because I dropped fastest and slowest. The 12/3 is 4 seconds.

Ao12 works like Ao5.

Ask someone else about Ao50 Ao100 Ao1000. I not sure on those :)

Edit- A DNF is your worst solve. So 2 DNF in an ao5 or ao12 is a DNF average and 1 in Mean of 3 is DNF.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For averages of 5 and 12, you drop the highest and lowest and average the middle 3. For anything bigger, you drop the highest 5% and lowest 5% (approximately). There's no need to do it by hand though; any cubing timer like cstimer or qqtimer will do it for you automatically.

A mean of X means you don't drop any solves, even DNFs. That's why people very rarely use means besides mean of 3.

teboecubes

WCA
2015TEBO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In the WCA, events that use an “average of 5” format use average of the 5 solves excluding the best and worst times.
For "Average of 5" rounds, competitors are allotted 5 attempts. Of these 5 attempts, the best and worst attempts are removed, and the arithmetic mean of the remaining 3 attempts counts for the competitor's ranking in the round.
-WCA, Regulation 9f8

“Mean of 3,” the format used for 6x6, 7x7, FMC, and blindfolded events, is just the average of the 3 attempts you do.
For "Mean of 3" rounds competitors are allotted 3 attempts. The arithmetic mean of the 3 attempts counts for the competitor's ranking in the round.
-WCA, Regulation 9f10

For Mean of 3, one DNF makes the whole mean a DNF, and for Average of 5, 2 DNFs makes the whole average a DNF.

RedJack22

YouTube
Visit Channel
A normal sune doesn't use wide R moves (notated like r or Rw). Fat Sunes use those wide R moves in the first and last moves, leaving the rest of the alg like the regular Sune. The same goes with Fat Anti-Sunes. I'm pretty sure that is correct, but somebody correct me if I am wrong :) Here are the algs on the Algdb.net:

Fat Sune: http://algdb.net/puzzle/333/oll/oll7

Fat Anti-Sune: http://algdb.net/puzzle/333/oll/oll8

Regular Sune: http://algdb.net/puzzle/333/oll/oll27

Anti-Sune: http://algdb.net/puzzle/333/oll/oll26

Eelephant

i think this should be a simple question, it I couldn't find a thread about it. Sorry if one already exists.

Question: In 3x3 notation, what do the lower case letters mean? I know when it immediately precedes a corresponding capital of the same letter, it is actually a double layer turn indicating an M move, but what if it's not? For instance, in the algorhythm below, which I found when dipping my toes into OLL two look (another issue entirely!), why are some of the L's and R's lower case?

l' U' L U R U' r' F

Does it indicate a double layer turn? If so, why r' instead of just L'?

Edit:
wait a minute, I think I just answered my own question. r' is not actually equivalent to L' because r' actually rotates the cube itself. In order to be equivelant L' would have to be followed by x'. Is this correct?

Last edited by a moderator:

Eelephant

Ok, thanks, what confused me at first was I couldn't see why you would do that on a 3x3... now I get it. Thanks!

Hazel

Premium Member
Here's a question I keep learning the answer to but then constantly forgot: So, M' follows the L side in terms of what is clockwise (M) and counterclockwise (M'). What sides to E and S follow?

Here's a question I keep learning the answer to but then constantly forgot: So, M' follows the L side in terms of what is clockwise (M) and counterclockwise (M'). What sides to E and S follow?
D and F, for no particular reason

xyzzy

What do you mean by "shorten an alg"? Where did the original alg you want to shorten come from?

Also, don't spam bold.

Landon360

What do you mean by "shorten an alg"? Where did the original alg you want to shorten come from?

Also, don't spam bold.
I made the alg myself. And by shorten an alg I mean, well, make an alg shorter. I don't know how else to explain it lol.