• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

themedome

Hey guys, do you happen to know how manufacturers usually lube the cubes they sell? They often come with so much lube that it's all over the cube but in return they are really fast and easy to turn. I've been trying to get a similar speed with a bit of smoothness but can't seem to get it right.

I clean the cube with first a dry and then a wet microfibre cloth to get all the old lubes off.
Use a paper towel. Water in the long run just ruins future lubes.
Here you mention that water isn't good, is that the problem? Why would water ruin future lubes?

Soak all the pieces in soapy water. Take an unused toothbrush, and rub all the areas. Or use a fine towel. Let it properly dry, and reassemble.
On the other hand I see a lot of people swear by soap and water so I'm not sure what's best, or if this is my problem at all.

After cleaning, first I just lubed it with DNM-37 which made it fast once the layers were moving but it was difficult to start each turn. So when I tried to move a layer slowly it was very jerky and not gradual or smooth. Then I added one drop of Lubicle Speedy and it's suddenly very smooth and cushiony but it's too much effort to turn. So then I added 2 drops of DNM-37 again and it's amazing for a day but then it's back to nice and smooth, quite good but just too slow and too much effort to turn... Would something like Weight 1 be better you think?
I have an RS3 2020 and I added some Weight 3 to the core to get rid of the spring noise but that shouldn't affect it right?

Thanks very much in advance!

themedome

Well I know my GAN RS arrived with a lot of lube and I see a lot of unboxings mentioning how much lube they have to wipe off.
Actually I got the GAN Magic thinking the same but it doesn't make it faster at all, it just helps with the feel and sound and slows it down a bit as it's a thicker consistency :/ I couldn't get the GAN Standard though so I'm curious but I can't imagine it would be better than anything from the Cubicle?

themedome

I have a question. What is the best lube for someone in a really dry environment? Where I live it is like less than 10% humidity almost all the time. I have DNM, Silk, Lubicle 1, and the Max lubes and they all wear out extremely quickly and make my cubes gummy and slow. Thanks in advance!
I don't know much about this but I did find this link from cubicle that has really good descriptions of their lubes and some of them mention lasting longer the usual silicone! https://www.thecubicle.com/pages/cubicle-custom-options

chocool6

Do Max lubes work well on Moyu cubes or only on GAN cubes? I'm wondering because on the cubicle's website they only sell GAN cubes with the Max setup. I would want a lube that would smooth out the rough turning of a Moyu cube.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
Do Max lubes work well on Moyu cubes or only on GAN cubes? I'm wondering because on the cubicle's website they only sell GAN cubes with the Max setup. I would want a lube that would smooth out the rough turning of a Moyu cube.
I used MAX lubes on a couple Qiyi cubes, and it worked great, but I'm not sure about Moyu.

chocool6

I used MAX lubes on my WR M and my RS3M 2020 and it works just fine, as I expected.
What feel does it bring to those cubes?

Also Mystic and DNM (both big bottles), Max Fleet and Max Command with a small bottle of Mystic, or Max Fleet and Max Command with a small bottle of DNM?

Currently I have GAN Magic Lube which I've heard is similar to Silk.

Last edited:

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel

Also Mystic and DNM (both big bottles), Max Fleet and Max Command with a small bottle of Mystic, or Max Fleet and Max Command with a small bottle of DNM?

Currently I have GAN Magic Lube which I've heard is similar to Silk.
Mystic and DNM but that's just my preference because they are both my favorite lubes

Z

Zubin Park

The MAX lubes basically give a fast, smooth feel without any gumminess at all. The one difference is the butteriness that is usually implemented in cubes with these lubes. The RS3M 2020 has an already clacky feel and the MAX lubes don't help as much as it does in GAN or other cubes in terms of the buttery feeling

Spacey10

YouTube
Visit Channel
Is it just my cube, or does anybody else's QiYi MS have a lot of white powder, which I'm supposing is lube residue
FYI, I don't have lube, so I can't have lubed it, it must have been factory lube

zslane

Hmm. I recently bought a pair of MS cubes--one stickered and one stickerless--and I didn't encounter any white residue on either of them. I even took both completely apart and didn't see anything like that. They were, of course, quite slippery though.