• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

brododragon

Okay I didn't like the feel of my cube, it was overall too sticky and slow. I cleaned and re-lubed and it didn't help. Fast forward, and I was dumping Silk and DNM-37 in my mega so it was more fun to solve (I added Fleet, too). What I realized is that it didn't have that feel I disliked. I cleaned out the Command in my 3x3's hardware, and, sure enough, it didn't have that feel I disliked. I'm probably going to still re-lube because of how much I tried to get rid of that feel with more lube. TL;DR Command for core lube can be worse than just a dry core.

SirCuberCat

I have a GAN RS M, and I'm just wondering if Silk on pieces and tracks and weight 4 for springs is good.

brododragon

Ok, I finally got a setup I like, after many times cleaning and re-lubing. This approach is fairly conservative and doesn't use that much lube. This is what I did, in sequential order.

Springs: Dry. This keeps the cube fast and I personally don't like the feel of lubed springs.
Internals: Take out an edge, and put two thin lines of Fleet on the 2 sides of the internal part. You can do the same thing with a corner if you want. Work that in. It won’t feel any different, but while turning you will probably overshoot more. Next, take out another edge and put two drops of Silk in the same places as the Fleet. Work that in. It should start to feel like there’s lube in it.
Pieces: Take out a corner, and put a drop or two of DNM-37 on the exposed edge. This is the only lube I put on the pieces. Work that in.

This makes the cube somewhat fast, smooth but not feel overlubed, and have a dampened sound.

DNM-37 Vs. MAX Fleet
Fleet and DNM-37 aren't the same. DNM has more of a distinct feel, and a more noticeable effect. That being said, Fleet makes the cube purely faster without affecting feel.

The moral of the story is, don't take anyone's word for Gospel. I'm just putting another lubrication method of there. How I stumbled upon this is just by watching lube reviews and tutorials to see how different people lubed and what lubes did lubes did what. I would highly recommend you do this if you're not happy with your setup.

Last edited:

NoobCube

WCA
2011BOLT01
Getting back into cubing after many years I've just bought:
- GAN 356 Air SM
- YJ MGC M
- QiYi Valk 2 M

Things seem to have moved on a lot from when I was initially active - do I need to lube these puzzles straight away? I'm happy with how they turn so I'm thinking more from a maintenance/care perspective. Any other tips for new puzzles are welcome too.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Getting back into cubing after many years I've just bought:
- GAN 356 Air SM
- YJ MGC M
- QiYi Valk 2 M

Things seem to have moved on a lot from when I was initially active - do I need to lube these puzzles straight away? I'm happy with how they turn so I'm thinking more from a maintenance/care perspective. Any other tips for new puzzles are welcome too.
Nice! You don’t really need to lube them straight away, but it will help long term. The factory lube will stay for a while, then dry out. Lube will improve your cube a lot, and also in the long run, stop it from wearing out as fast as it would with no lube.

NoobCube

WCA
2011BOLT01
Nice! You don’t really need to lube them straight away, but it will help long term. The factory lube will stay for a while, then dry out. Lube will improve your cube a lot, and also in the long run, stop it from wearing out as fast as it would with no lube.
Awesome, thanks! They all turn so fast I can't even remotely look ahead lol so I will have to gradually build up speed. Already got a new PB with the GAN!