• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@Ellis:
Oh man this is epic. I actually found my old copy of that solutions booklet. Apparently I had it all along (hiding in the pile of other solution booklets that I have). :D

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i wouldnt recommend learning VH itll slow you down more then likely..

however if your going to then you should only really have to memo i want to say 3 algs, those are for the first case.

memo the one with no edges, three edges and two edges.

blah

brah
On another note, it's too bad we don't hear from Alex anymore, he was so talented.

He was my third BLD hero, after Chris and Mike ;) I quit BLD because of him. I was getting tired and frustrated at my lack of improvement for a long while, then I decided that if even a world-class BLD cuber (in fact, his PBs were faster than all the official WRs then!) can just quit like that, well... so I quit :(

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
On another note, it's too bad we don't hear from Alex anymore, he was so talented.

He was my third BLD hero, after Chris and Mike ;) I quit BLD because of him. I was getting tired and frustrated at my lack of improvement for a long while, then I decided that if even a world-class BLD cuber (in fact, his PBs were faster than all the official WRs then!) can just quit like that, well... so I quit :(

I agree that it's sad we don't hear from Alex anymore. He was so amazing, and he was really nice, too. Last I remember, he tried doing a 7x7x7 BLD and it didn't go well, and then he disappeared. I really hope I didn't somehow contribute to his quitting.

A truly great BLD cubing talent.

And I also think it's sad that you quit, blah. You were improving a lot faster than I ever did, and as I recall, you had pretty much caught up with me on big cubes when you quit.

krnballerzzz

WCA
2006KANG01
Yeah, multislotting might be worth a look. But I only really want to use the basic techniques to get down to 9-11 for now. Then, if I'm at 9-11 and add some advanced stuff maybe I can get 7-9! :)

On a good day, I can sub-7 average F2L and sometimes sub 5-6 F2L if it's a good solve. A lot of cubers that are sub 11-12 do this, but don't talk about it much. It is like looking ahead, but more advanced.

The typical advice is this... "While you are doing your cross, you should already know what 1st pair is going be. While you are inserting the first pair after the cross, you should know what second pair is".

What I try to do is while I'm inserting my first pair, I try to get a good idea of what the next 2-3 pairs are going to look like. Instead of cross then pair after pair after pair then last pair... I look at it as cross then pair then 3 pairs. A lot of sub 10 solves are do cross and first pair and then start thinking of what the OLL is going to be.

I had a crappy way of explaining it, but I guess I will make a video of some sort on youtube (Krnballerzzz) soon. Of course, I was only able to gain this skill by intense slow cube training and knowing how F2L pieces will react to algs done to other pieces.

If this doesn't make sense at all... I will further elaborate using better grammar lol.

Ando

WCA
2009ARIA01
Do it slowly and prepare the next pair..
Try to solve the easiest pair first : )

I think your BLD records are great. You also talented :D

Last edited:

mcciff2112

WCA
2009MCCA01
1. Why'd you bump this 1.5 year old thread?
2. What? 3 algs?
After threads die they should automatically close in like 4 months or something.

But some ideas/questions are legitimately worth bumping a thread for, even if it's really old. Most are not, but there have been a few meaningful bumps recently that have provided me with a lot of new information that I would have otherwise not seen.

PandaBoi

Im not a great cuber i average sub 50 -.- lol but im trying to do algorithams backwards so i dont have to rotate the cube so much and try to remember where the peices are, also haveing fast good looks so you can cancel out where the cube is not. i dunno, but yeh ^^

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Im not a great cuber i average sub 50 -.- lol but im trying to do algorithams backwards so i dont have to rotate the cube so much and try to remember where the peices are, also haveing fast good looks so you can cancel out where the cube is not. i dunno, but yeh ^^

Yeah....this is really freaking wierd.

Anyway.......Am I the only one who realizes that giving advice to people who asked for it 1.5 years ago is absolutely pointless?

RyanPatricio

WCA
2004PATR01
Yeah, multislotting might be worth a look. But I only really want to use the basic techniques to get down to 9-11 for now. Then, if I'm at 9-11 and add some advanced stuff maybe I can get 7-9! :)

On a good day, I can sub-7 average F2L and sometimes sub 5-6 F2L if it's a good solve. A lot of cubers that are sub 11-12 do this, but don't talk about it much. It is like looking ahead, but more advanced.

The typical advice is this... "While you are doing your cross, you should already know what 1st pair is going be. While you are inserting the first pair after the cross, you should know what second pair is".

What I try to do is while I'm inserting my first pair, I try to get a good idea of what the next 2-3 pairs are going to look like. Instead of cross then pair after pair after pair then last pair... I look at it as cross then pair then 3 pairs. A lot of sub 10 solves are do cross and first pair and then start thinking of what the OLL is going to be.

I had a crappy way of explaining it, but I guess I will make a video of some sort on youtube (Krnballerzzz) soon. Of course, I was only able to gain this skill by intense slow cube training and knowing how F2L pieces will react to algs done to other pieces.

If this doesn't make sense at all... I will further elaborate using better grammar lol.

I feel that Andrew and I are on the same page. Get at me at Nationals and I might just show you a few tricks :]

Ok so aside from the tricks Andrew mentioned here is a little something that I picked up from experience. When beginning my F2L I am very selective upon which pair that I choose. I constantly have the pairs in mind that I want to avoid. F2L shorcuts and multi-slotting help me "break" these pairs and gives me a much more manageable pair.

Good luck!

Sherwood

F2l Algorithms

I average at about 31 seconds (constantly) and I solve F2l intuitively. I'm trying to at least become sub-30 soon.

anyway I wanted to know if there are any sites with F2l algorithms, because I may not be solving as fast intuitively as I could be. My F2l is about 13 seconds.

Thanks