• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

TylanDomko

Thank you guys so much, After I'm done watching all of Jperm's advanced f2l videos I will make sure to practice slow solves and I will record an average of 5. I will also look at some better algs. Thanks!

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results

OwenEgloff

Hey guys, glad to be here.

So I have recently picked up the cube again after a few months, and finished learning F2L. I have always been told that learning this method would significantly increase my times, but my 30-60 second times have stayed the same. Can someone a little bit more experienced in this topic please help me? Thank you!

Falconcuber

Hello everyone!

I am not a new and cuber I have been cubing for 1 year! But I still sub 30-40 is that normal or iam not practice anough? and I have problem at cross and f2l if you have tips about cross and f2l,please share with me!

Thank you soo much if you answer my question it's Will be usefull for me!
(Sorry if my English is bad):p

CubicOreo

Hey guys, glad to be here.

So I have recently picked up the cube again after a few months, and finished learning F2L. I have always been told that learning this method would significantly increase my times, but my 30-60 second times have stayed the same. Can someone a little bit more experienced in this topic please help me? Thank you!
First off, welcome to the forum! Here’s a few tips...

1. YouTube. There many helpful videos there that can be useful not just for improving F2L, but for almost any cubing topic in general. Just type in “F2L tips and tricks”. It also helps to watch walkthrough solves. Check out other posts on this forum as well. You’ll probably find a lot of good tips.

2. A more straight forward tip: look ahead. Try to plan ahead to the next pair and track where pieces will go (CubeShephard said something similar in an earlier post). Doing solves slowly or solving pairs blindfold/with eyes closed can help with this.

3. It’s important to note that F2L isn’t just a method, but also a step in another method called CFOP (Cross, F2L, OLL, and PLL). (Link: https://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/CFOP_method)
This is a really advanced method, but there are simpler versions for each step. Your times might be stagnant because of cross and the last layer, not just from faulty F2L. Your F2L could be fine actually, but if your cross and last layer are still slow, F2L can only help you so much. If you haven’t done so already, learn 4 look last layer and try doing the cross intuitively and on the bottom instead of on top (there are tutorials on YouTube for these).

4. Practice (sounds kinda cliche, but it is important). While doing so, try think about what you could improve on (what cases am I slow on, what fingertricks would be better, etc).

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
I have heard F2L is the place where most can improve, I currently use intuitive F2L and 4LLL. I don't want to make the jump to 3LLL or 2LLL just yet so was wondering if there is a faster F2L than intuitive that I should learn, thanks!

Dylan1919

What do you average? If you are sub 20 than maybe learn some F2L algs. If not just practise that a little more until you feel its time to switch.

Dylan1919

You can learn a few F2L algs, that's what I do. It's still intuitive but it can come in handy sometimes. I'm not suggesting switching to full algorithmic but it is your choice.

So I've noticed I need to improve my f2l efficiency and lookahead. So that raises two questions. (1).For lookahead should I be solving cross and f2l pairs without looking or should I be solving slower? (2).Should I prioritize f2l efficiency over lookahead?

Any help is appreciated.
By the way I'm sub-40.