• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi, I am trying to get sub 20 by improving my cross, F2L and Last Layer. But I am struggling to get sub 20. Is there any tips on reaching sub 20. I average sub 25.
1) Practise lookahead
2) Practise efficiency
3) Practise fingerticks
4) Practise TPS
5) Practise Cross+1 BLD
6) Repeat steps 1-5
7) Repeat step 6
8) Go to step 1

2lol555

Hello, I am new to speed cubing and cubing in general. I only started learning this Christmas. I learned the beginners method and I can now solve a cube like that without errors on the most part. I decided to move on to F2L now but I keep getting into situations that take minutes to resolve for me at least. For example, I have a cube here right now and I have been trying to solve the first 2 layers for around say... 15 minutes.
2276be1ff96c48d3bdfb0a996a9aeded.png

6de1f86e40eb45038aa99d5cc919db64.png

71a038995c7a4c3093c304debd23c37b.png
Is there a way for me to fix my last slot without disturbing the other ones?

xyzzy

Please don't peel your stickers. :(

You have two yellow-orange edges (there should be only one) and a blue-green edge (there shouldn't be any at all). To fix this, swap a yellow sticker from a yellow-orange edge with the green sticker from the blue-green edge, then proceed to solve as normal.

2lol555

The images are wrong. I didn't peel my stickers. (I have none - Rubiks 2.0 :D ) Sorry, my bad. Since then I tried a bunch more and figured out a solution with also disturbing one slot but then after that fixing it back... Is that normal in the F2L method or was I not seeing a more direct way?

Thanks for that, Its mainly my lookahead thats costing me sub 20, so how long should I practice lookahead a day?

When I was trying to get sub20, I just made sure to slow down and force myself to lookahead during every single solve. Literally dropped down to 16-18 second solves using that. The more you do it, the easier and natural it becomes.
So you don't need to take time to do it, just do it within your regular solves, and you'll get practice on it.

WCA
2016MOHA06
When I was trying to get sub20, I just made sure to slow down and force myself to lookahead during every single solve. Literally dropped down to 16-18 second solves using that. The more you do it, the easier and natural it becomes.
So you don't need to take time to do it, just do it within your regular solves, and you'll get practice on it.

Thanks for that, I will try and use that tip and see if it works :) .

xyzzy

You don't need to destroy a slot to solve another (usually). Most F2L guides will show you how to solve just one slot while preserving the other three.

CFOP beginner

Is it necessary to study all the 41 f2l algs?Please suggest me some algs that is better than intuition

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xyzzy

Is it necessary to study all the 41 f2l algs?Please suggest me some algs that is better than intuition

Necessary? No. Useful? Yes.

Make your own list of all 41 F2L cases and for each case, write down the moves you would use if that came up in your solve. Among the cases that take 8 or more moves (or use awkward fingertricks), look up what the algorithmic F2L approach uses. Sounds like too much effort? Then don't bother; fully intuitive F2L isn't that bad either.

CubingGenius

1) Practise lookahead
2) Practise efficiency
3) Practise fingerticks
4) Practise TPS
5) Practise Cross+1 BLD
6) Repeat steps 1-5
7) Repeat step 6
8) Go to step 1

Should I do to improve as well? It sounds like a very good way to improve efficiently and quickly.

WCA
2017DRAB01
I'm trash at f2l and I need help!
I've seen that a way to get faster is to look ahead but how do I do it? I can barely find my corner and edge piece in under a second.
Also, is there any useful algs I should know?

CFOP beginner

I just learned Petrus f2l and I feel comfortable with it.Should I move from friedrich f2l to petrus f2l.Which is better

xyzzy

I just learned Petrus f2l and I feel comfortable with it.Should I move from friedrich f2l to petrus f2l.Which is better

Better in terms of what? In terms of overall speed, it's largely agreed that cross-F2L is somewhat better than freestyle blockbuilding. Petrus F2L also has that weird EO step in the middle that can disrupt your flow and possibly require regrips.

In terms of what you feel comfortable with, you just said you felt comfortable with Petrus F2L, so why not continue playing with that for a while, then come to a decision on your own?

CFOP beginner

How to practise f2l algs.?when I execute an alg for a case another case is appearing

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
How to practise f2l algs.?when I execute an alg for a case another case is appearing

Generally accepted process is just do solves. There are only 41 F2L cases, so in all likelihood each case will come up at least every 11th solve.

Do slow turning (as opposed to timed solves).

I've never drilled or practiced a specific F2L case, but then my F2L is 99% intuitive, and the 2 cases that are algorithmic I understand what's happening to the cube. If you're adopting an algorithmic approach to F2L then you might want to drill algs like you drill OLL/PLLs, in which case repeating the alg enough times will reset the case (eventually).

Alternatively, executing the mirror (I.e. to set up RUR'F' insertion, do FRU'R') will set up the case on a solved cube.

But I'd totally advise against algorithmic F2L.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk