One-Answer Other Question Thread

Discussion in 'One-Answer Question Forum' started by pjk, Nov 11, 2014.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. AreRouxAmused

AreRouxAmused Member

Nov 10, 2016
    the main reason I was attracted to zz was the the ll skips chances are reduced but I liked Roux because it is very intuitive. So I guess I will practice both and see. Thank you for your advice.

2. AlphaSheep

AlphaSheep Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Gauteng, South Africa
    WCA:
    2014GRAY03
    Roux has better chances for skips. 1 in 162 chance for a CMLL skip, 1 in 32 chance of an EO skip, 1 in 30 chance for a UL+UR skip, 1 in 24 chance for an L4E skip. It leaves you with some sort of skip in 10.8% of your solves. In ZZ-CT, you actually only skip a step in 0.5% of solves. For reference, ZZ+COLL+EPLL has a skip in 8.9% of solves.

Also 42 algs for Roux (33 new if you're coming from CFOP) vs 198 for ZZ-CT (170 new if you're coming from CFOP) is a pretty big difference. ZZ+COLL+EPLL has only 46 algs, roughly half of which are shared with Roux.

I like @shadowslice e's advice of learning both methods before making a decision, but ZZ-CT is a pretty advanced variant of ZZ that requires significant commitment to learn.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    AreRouxAmused likes this.
  3. Is a nemesis someone who is better than you in every event?

Is there a term for when you are not better than someone else in any of their events?
    I saw the link in muchacho's sig, and when I checked my continental nemesis's, Bill Wang wasn't there. I knew I wasn't better than him in anything, but it turns out that I've done more events than him (Pyra, Skewb, Sq-1, Feet), so I actually am.
    It seems I've cut down on many of my possible nemesis's by being half decent at Feet lol.

Is there a way to find the people who I am a nemesis to? Is that called anything?

4. muchacho

muchacho Member

May 27, 2015
    Spain
    WCA:
    2016ALAR01
    YouTube:
    davidalejosalarcia
    I'll try to add that (nemesis to), maybe also that about using their events instead of yours (I was going to let select what events you want to compare, maybe I'll do it if I have time).

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  5. muchacho

muchacho Member

May 27, 2015
    Spain
    WCA:
    2016ALAR01
    YouTube:
    davidalejosalarcia
    Done... sort of, the first of the 2 new buttons searches for slower people in the exact same events you've done, the second just adds people that have less events added to the singles table, that doesn't take into account if that person have competed in an event that you haven't. I may combine those 2 buttons and make it work like it should, but not sure.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    GenTheThief likes this.
  6. Cale S

Cale S Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Iowa, USA
    WCA:
    2014SCHO02
    YouTube:
    mathtornado7
    I feel like that would be thousands of people, with all the 30+ second 3x3 solvers with only 1 or 2 events

7. AreRouxAmused

AreRouxAmused Member

Nov 10, 2016
    I do say your math is wrong you would have to multiply the fractions for each skip. ZZ-CT is the least chance for a skip and the alg set for most are triggers. but thank you anyway.

8. Ahhh, that makes sense.
    Not a feasible statistic then.

9. AngryMelonCuber

AngryMelonCuber Member

Aug 2, 2016
    What exactly is NMLL? I am not sure I understand the process very clearly

10. If you're willing to take my word for it, here's the short answer--don't worry about it or use it unless you're trying to be like sub-10 with Roux and are trying to add in various tricks to get faster singles.

I leave the long answer to others if that's not satisfactory enough.

11. AngryMelonCuber

AngryMelonCuber Member

Aug 2, 2016
    I've heard that it is applicable for ZZ too, I use ZZ and CFOP. I average around 14 seconds : I want to really understand this method.

12. https://alg.cubing.net/?setup=R2_R_U_R-_U-_R-_F_R2_U-_R-_U-_R_U_R-_F-_M2_U_M2_U2_M2_U_M2

Let's say you finish left block for ZZ (white eoline on bottom), and you find that your right block, luckily enough, is sort of solved upside down as in the example above - like, it would be the correct block for a yellow EO-line from the same y orientation. And while that is not the correct block, it is not too hard to recognize what needs to be done in this example. The LL very much resembles an F-perm PLL -- so give it a try. It turns out all you then need to do is solve the cube with an R2, and you're done.

So there isn't much to learn like you would learn a method or other algorithms. The cases come up pretty rarely, and when they do, they are often hard to recognize, especially when you start getting LL corners that are not as easy as the ones above. And it gets even harder to see if your luckily solved block is an R or R' away instead of an R2

TL;DR see my original answer. I can't think of one solve that I've ever seen by a fast CFOP or ZZ user that uses this technique.

13. AngryMelonCuber

AngryMelonCuber Member

Aug 2, 2016
    Thanks very much......it seems that I had already encountered this and I had also solved the problem similarly, though at that point of time, I didn't know what it was called.

Yeah, I totally agree with you, it seems kinda too hard to implement.

anyway, thanks :)

14. xyzzy

xyzzy Member

Dec 24, 2015
    There's NMCLL (one-look CLL with nonmatching blocks) and then there's NMLL (two-look ZBLL with nonmatching blocks), which are similarly named, do similar things, but are not the same thing.

NMCLL is essentially just a recognition system for CLL when your left and right layers aren't aligned: you scan for the L and R colours on the corners, then find matching colours on the two corners with L colours and matching colours on the two corners with R corners.

NMLL splits ZBLL into two steps that are like OCLL and PLL, where instead of orienting the top face, you orient the left and right faces, then permute in one look. Because the orientation step only depends on the L and R colours, whether you use matching blocks or not doesn't matter. The permutation step can be recognised similarly to NMCLL by looking for matching colours. This needs the last layer edges to already be oriented, so it's most applicable to ZZ.

15. Dom

Dom Member

Finger tricks for U2:
    Index, middle?
    Or
    Middle, index?

Which is faster to start teaching myself?

16. RennuR

RennuR Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Index Middle EASILY. It just flows way better. This is my opinion, but I believe it is the opinion of most. Do that one ;)

Matt11111 and Dom like this.
  17. Dom

Dom Member

Is that how you do it on bigger puzzles as well? Like 4x4 and 5x5?

18. RennuR

RennuR Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    I had a 4x4 for a while, and yeah thats exactly how I did it. I sold my 4x4, didnt have time to really get into the event, rather sell it for a 3x3 which is my main event, so I need to focus on that ;).

But back on topic yeah thats how I did it

19. When your doing a Ao12 or 50 on and lets say your in the middle of doing it. The last five solves you did ended up being your PB Ao5. Would that still count as your PB or do you just have a Ao5?

Thanks.

20. Dash Lambda

Dash Lambda Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Ambiguaville
    WCA:
    2016SCHU05
    No reason for it not to...