• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 5.55.36 PM.pngThis case from the back (credit to ruwix.com)

I currently use U (R' U R) U2 (l U L' U' M') but I feel it isn't very effective

Also, I don't want any rotations

WoowyBaby

WCA
2018ISOM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Solution options for that F2L from back:
- U R' U R | y R' U2 R
- U R’ U R | y’ U L’ U L
- U R' U R | L2 F' L' F L'
- M' U R' U R | U2 l U L'

Most people use the 1st or 2nd option, they are usually faster than 3rd and 4th even though they have a rotation.

Last edited:

Oldmancfop

My first post on any speed cubing forum, sorry if this question has been answered before but I have no idea how to start searching for the answer.
With yellow top, blue front do: R U' R' L' U L U' R' U R. The pair I need help with is red/blue. In this situation where; neither the corner or edge are in the top layer, neither are in their correct slot, white side is facing down on the corner. My best attempt so far is to L' U' L U L' U L to see if I have a solved pair or not (in this case the pair is solved) and then execute the alg for whatever I end up with. I have the same question for if the white side is NOT facing down, I do the same as above, move the corner into the top layer white side facing up, and then U turn to the edge to see what I have. What should I be doing?

WCA
2017WARR04
YouTube
Visit Channel
For the case where the white corner is facing down you can do: R' L' U L R2 U' R'
If the white corner is facing towards you then you can do: L' U2 L R' U R2 U' R' (This can also be executed as: r' F2 M' U R2 U' R')
If the white corner is facing to the left you can do: F U2 F' R' U R2 U' R'

However if I got any of these cases in a solve I would probably just try and solve a different pair.

Oldmancfop

Perfect thanks, good advice on your last point but I now have an easy solve and can work out a visual trigger from your solutions if I have no options.

SenorJuan

As stated, these cases are best avoided by choosing a different slot to solve.
I would choose to solve this case with the combination:
L' U' L R' U' R2 U R'

... and the other two corner-orientation cases you mentioned:
L' U2 L R' U R2 U' R' or L' U2 L R2 F R2 F'

F U2 F' R' U R2 U' R' or F U2 F' R2 F R2 F'
L' U L U2 etc as above
If you want to view some further reading on these odd cases, take a look at what is called Jeff2L, Makky's site has some algorithms:
http://cubefreak.net/speed/advancedf2l/jeff2l.php

Last edited:

Oldmancfop

As stated, these cases are best avoided by choosing a different slot to solve.
I would choose to solve this case with the combination:
L' U' L R' U' R2 U R'
If you want to view some further reading on these odd cases, take a look at what is called Jeff2L, Makky's site has some algorithms:
http://cubefreak.net/speed/advancedf2l/jeff2l.php
Thanks, I'm liking the avoidance approach. I'm trying to be thorough (not lazy) learning my f2l cases but I need to be careful not to unnecessarily over complicate things. I'm doing lots of slow solves trying to get familiar with all cases, knowing that I can/should avoid these jeff2l's is good to know.

Aprzn123

I'd finish f2l by using a different pair.

Orange-Blue:
R' U' R U L' U' L

And that also incidentally solved red-green so then you can just solve the blue-red.
Blue-Red:
R U R'

SenorJuan

What I think you should be doing is 'backing up' your algorithmic method with some 'intuitive' solving techniques. Learn how to make a pair when one of the pair is on the top layer, and it's mate is in any of the slots. You only need to know ONE way of doing this for each case, initially, to put it into action. Adding one or two more pair-making algs can be worked up to as you progress ... it would give you more flexibility, reducing move-count, cube rotations, and allowing you to make either the '2x1x1 block' type pair, or the 'distant pair'.

This will be more beneficial than extending algorithmic solving to include numerous 'odd' cases.

And Aprzn ..... please be serious. All you've done is reverse the 'scramble' he gave to illustrate the case ......

Aprzn123

What I think you should be doing is 'backing up' your algorithmic method with some 'intuitive' solving techniques. Learn how to make a pair when one of the pair is on the top layer, and it's mate is in any of the slots. You only need to know ONE way of doing this for each case, initially, to put it into action. Adding one or two more pair-making algs can be worked up to as you progress ... it would give you more flexibility, reducing move-count, cube rotations, and allowing you to make either the '2x1x1 block' type pair, or the 'distant pair'.

This will be more beneficial than extending algorithmic solving to include numerous 'odd' cases.

And Aprzn ..... please be serious. All you've done is reverse the 'scramble' he gave to illustrate the case ......
That was unintentional, that was how I would have solved it.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that since the corners are in multiple different slots, there will always be another pair you can solve in that case.

doublefisholl

Hello,

a bit of back story. I don't know much algorithms but the ones I know are cemented into me. One of them was the double fish OLL.

This morning while solving my cube after a while I got dumb struck when I encountered double fish and at the moment I forgot the OLL. Then I remembered it and did:
r U R' U' L' U R U'

But it was incorrect. I was dumbfounded as I was 100% sure that that was the algorithm for that and I'm still are. Even worse is returning from work I was messing with cube just solving it and without realisation I encountered the double fish again and completed it using that algorithm but it was pure muscle memory and I forgot how I did it and even now after scavanging the Internet I am unable to find the alghoritm I used. Maybe it's similar to the one I posted but it should be that.

Can anyone help me find the algorithm? :D

Last edited:
well here's my list of 2x2 t perms algs

1. J perm {(R U R') F' (R U R' U') R' F R2 U' R'}
2. T perm {(R U R' U') R' F R2 U' R' U' (R U R') F'}
3. y' Rb perm {(R' U2 R) U2 R' F (R U R' U') R' F' R2 U'}
4. Ra perm {(R U R') F' (R U2 R') U2 R' F R U (R U2 R')} or {R U' R' U' R U R D R' U' R D' R' U2 R'}
5. F perm {R' U' F' (R U R' U') R' F R2 U' R' U' (R U R' U) R}

or you can use G and A perms but those are slow and are for U offsets

emps

uhhh, i only find most people using t and j perm... never r or f or g, sometimes a for beginner.

well here's my list of 2x2 t perms algs

1. J perm {(R U R') F' (R U R' U') R' F R2 U' R'}
2. T perm {(R U R' U') R' F R2 U' R' U' (R U R') F'}
3. y' Rb perm {(R' U2 R) U2 R' F (R U R' U') R' F' R2 U'}
4. Ra perm {(R U R') F' (R U2 R') U2 R' F R U (R U2 R')} or {R U' R' U' R U R D R' U' R D' R' U2 R'}
5. F perm {R' U' F' (R U R' U') R' F R2 U' R' U' (R U R' U) R}

or you can use G and A perms but those are slow and are for U offsets
Thank you! ^^

Billabob

For 2x2 I always use R U2 R' U' R U2 L' U R' U' R. For some reason I find it much faster than the regular J or T perms.

Swanny110

Hello All,
I've recently been creating a computer program to solve a Rubik's cube for fun and i'm using a list of know algorithms to solve the cube.
I've got onto the F2L section of my code and have only found some of the algorithms online, they don't include any where the corner cube is in the wrong corner on the bottom face layer.
1556143288828.pngthis is an example of a corner that can't be easily solved with a single algorithm. I know that I can move in other corners/edges however if they are all in the corners but the wrong way around then none of the algorithms will apply. I could sort this with a some more coding but I would like to know there is no list I could use to make it a lot easier for me.
Any help would be greatly appreciated