• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

CornerTwisted

WCA
2021HITC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
People are just not good at Mehta right now. Looking at some statistics, it could be a godly method if somebody decided to speedsolve with it. The first few steps are intuitive and therefore require a lot of look ahead, and looking ahead to EO is really all you need. The rest of the method is highly ergonomic-friendly algorithms, making the solving experience optimised and fast.

Timona

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yup we found out that mehta ends up worse in many of the ways it tried to be better...
It's a cool method but just not objectively among the top.
People haven't committed enough time to learning it and becoming world-class with it as with CFOP or Roux or even ZZ. Those methods have been around for more than 7 years, at least. Mehta is not even 3 years old at this point. If the method had been around for longer, it would probably be a different story. It's just gonna take time.

The end of the method is mostly algorithmic, so people can start learning how to cancel between steps and stuff like that.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
People haven't committed enough time to learning it and becoming world-class with it as with CFOP or Roux or even ZZ. Those methods have been around for more than 7 years, at least. Mehta is not even 3 years old at this point. If the method had been around for longer, it would probably be a different story. It's just gonna take time.

The end of the method is mostly algorithmic, so people can start learning how to cancel between steps and stuff like that.
Mehta-TDR (the best version) was also invented by a French person in 2017 and then abandoned because it sucked, only to be rediscovered and again be found not worth using.

PiKeeper

WCA
2021KLIN02
People haven't committed enough time to learning it and becoming world-class with it as with CFOP or Roux or even ZZ. Those methods have been around for more than 7 years, at least. Mehta is not even 3 years old at this point. If the method had been around for longer, it would probably be a different story. It's just gonna take time
It's not that Mehta is new and that's why it's bad. It's that it has been proven to be worse than Petrus/APB. Athefre did a comparison between Mehta, Petrus, APB, and maybe some other variants and the results conclusively showed Mehta to be worse. Most of the people who initially used Mehta switched methods because of this. People need to accept that Mehta is not ever going to surpass Petrus/APB.

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's not that Mehta is new and that's why it's bad. It's that it has been proven to be worse than Petrus/APB. Athefre did a comparison between Mehta, Petrus, APB, and maybe some other variants and the results conclusively showed Mehta to be worse. Most of the people who initially used Mehta switched methods because of this. People need to accept that Mehta is not ever going to surpass Petrus/APB.
links on petrus/apb please?

Jouda_209

Hello my friends,
I was just wondering around, trying out stuff with ZZ and i thought about something. You know there is a type of ZZ called portico where instead of EOline you just solve one piece of EOline and ignore the other. Well as many of you know almost nobody now uses EOline, so i thought what if i do EOcross but ignore the DF edge? And than for last slot added winter variation of VLS. Turns out you are left with L5EP and CP. And i thought ok when i solve L5EP there are only 5 cases you can get after and those are Aa perm, Ab perm, H perm, E perm and solved state. But turns out the algs i found said there are 16 cases for L5EP, but it didnt include algs that don't have solved CP. So i did some diging and turns out, I cant find any of the algs I was looking for. If someone does know where to find these algs are, or has these alg please send them to me, i will be very grateful.

LukasCubes

YouTube
Visit Channel
kinda stupid 3x3x4 method i use

hold cube vertically

corners (dont care how you solve them)
bottom 4 edges (dont care how you solve)
top 4 edges in one look

rotate so the U/D layers are now L/R

Solve and finish one center and put that on D
solve the edges next to said center whilst solving the center above that, one at a time, by now, all centers are done
L4E, ALL IN ONE ALG

woohoo you did my corners first method

Xatu

i came up with a method called ZZ-ZPL2
step 1: EO222
step 2: F2L-1
step 4: insert last corner while making 2x2x1 block on backright. And CP
step 5: solve with 18 algorithms

i invented a method called ZZ-ZPL2 which is a ZZ variant.
i'm here to say that it is not only very efficient, has a pretty low movecount, RUL gen, and only has 18 algs,
in theory, it’s very good.

Last edited:

PiKeeper

WCA
2021KLIN02
i came up with a method called ZZ-ZPL2
step 1: EO222
step 2: F2L-1
step 3: CP
step 4: insert last corner while making 2x2x1 block on backright.
step 5: solve with 18 algorithms
Is this really what you spent all that time harping about as one of the best methods? It's worse zz-d, which is itself worse than zz-a.

Xatu

Is this really what you spent all that time harping about as one of the best methods? It's worse zz-d, which is itself worse than zz-a.
stop that. its a good method.

Hello my friends,
I was just wondering around, trying out stuff with ZZ and i thought about something. You know there is a type of ZZ called portico where instead of EOline you just solve one piece of EOline and ignore the other. Well as many of you know almost nobody now uses EOline, so i thought what if i do EOcross but ignore the DF edge? And than for last slot added winter variation of VLS. Turns out you are left with L5EP and CP. And i thought ok when i solve L5EP there are only 5 cases you can get after and those are Aa perm, Ab perm, H perm, E perm and solved state. But turns out the algs i found said there are 16 cases for L5EP, but it didnt include algs that don't have solved CP. So i did some diging and turns out, I cant find any of the algs I was looking for. If someone does know where to find these algs are, or has these alg please send them to me, i will be very grateful.
yaeh i invented a better zz variant called ZZ-ZPL2 That ignores one line edge

PiKeeper

WCA
2021KLIN02
stop that. its a good method.
You can't just say that with no evidence. You can start by proving why it's better than zz-d which is eocross, f2l-1, solve pair and cp, 2gll.
Edit: Actually, you can just compare it to to zz-tripod. That's just your method but better since it doesn't involve cp.

Last edited: