• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

pcharles93

WCA
2008HUYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm pretty sure vaseline has no adverse effects on a cube. I've had vaseline in my old cube for 3 months. Nothing. Plus, a few forum members were surprised when they first read about vaseline destroying cubes because vaseline had no negative effects of their cubes. Anyone have any pictures to prove this?

rubik'scube

Since I added Vaseline, the laminate on top of the stickers has started to peel off, but I can get some new ones from CubeSmith if needed.

hawkmp4

Just for kicks I thought I'd watch those videos...turns out my F2L wasn't as efficient as i thought xD
My times are down 4-5 seconds now. Thanks for posting those links!

natwky56

Is ther any other way I can learn intuitive F2L without having to watch videos? I just want to print a hardcopy out for my use; those videos are just too confusing

popstar_dave

Is ther any other way I can learn intuitive F2L without having to watch videos? I just want to print a hardcopy out for my use; those videos are just too confusing

For Intuitive F2L, Doug Reed's guide seems to be the place to go. It's not available on his website anymore, but the Wayback Machine has archives of it from 3/9/04 and 17/4/07 (though you might struggle without the images.

Cheers,
Dave

natwky56

Thanks, the video finally got into my head. But it took a long time...
but after 1 week, my times are stuck like, baout 1min 20 secs on average.
Any ideas?

Last edited:

Statical

YouTube
Visit Channel
Advanced F2L Help

Guys, im currently averaging 15-16 seconds for f2l sometimes i get lower times such as 12 .can anyone give me tips on how can i fully perfect my f2l to an average of 10seconds?

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
When you doing one F2L pair, make sure by the time you finish it, you can immediately start an F2L pair. This means while working on the current one, you should keep your eyes on the next two pieces. First work on it for several solves slowly, and try not to get faster. It's very tempting to turn faster, but always make sure you see the next F2L pair. After like 30 solves doing the same speed, move a little faster, and repeat the process. At the end, try to get your speed up to 3 turns per second, while still FULLY looking ahead, meaning no pauses.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been thinking about orienting the ALL the LL edges not just like ZB f2l on the last slot, but any time during F2L. I try to do this in my solves, but it' not always convenient. Anyone else who does this? Usually I end up with 2 oriented. (all bad edges never happen). I can do that much of the time without waiting to the last slot. Although orienting all 4 would be a big plus.

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
What is the different between advanced F2L and beginner F2L? Is that the algos? Do that means I must memo all F2L algos?
There isn't an "Advanced F2L" and "Beginner F2L". The person is just explaining his level in F2L. He is not a beginner, because he didn't just start it. He is more experienced, so he/she considers himself/herself advanced. He/she needs help getting faster.

Last edited:

Kyle™

Premium Member
WCA
2004ALLA01
One tip for any method that most people do not think of is the style used to perform algorithms. You need to figure out if you use a flowing style or a snappy style. The snappy (or burst) style is best used by katsu -> http://www.planet-puzzle.com/

Using a slower approach which allows you to flow and look ahead better is usually good for advanced or optimal methods, which is probably roux/petrus since they require very delicate block building to be fast. Practice whichever feels quicker to you, and try not to mix the two styles.

Harry

What is the different between advanced F2L and beginner F2L? Is that the algos? Do that means I must memo all F2L algos?
There isn't an "Advanced F2L" and "Beginner F2L". The person is just explaining his level in F2L. He is not a beginner, because he didn't just start it. He is more experienced, so he/she considers himself/herself advanced. He/she needs help getting faster.

Ah, I see.... but some sites said:

Beginner Intermediate Advanced

on their link for F2L.....

HOw to explain that?

Btw, I am now practicing going slow and my average drops by 10 secs!!!

What next? DO I need to practice my 'going slow'? Since I occasionally pause.... For the going slow, my turning speed I think 1 tps.....

Crzyazn

As F2L approaches "pro" level, you eventually start adding more and more tricks

Beginner F2L: very straightforward identification and application of one of the F2L algorithms

Intermediate F2L: usage of empty slots, improvement of look-ahead, possible alternative algorithms for tricky cases

Advanced: LL edges influencing (VH/ZB systems), MORE look-ahead

That's how i generally see it