[Help Thread] Lubrication Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware Area' started by kprox1994, Jun 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. I keep seeing all of these questions about lube. I think it would be good to keep lubrication questions all in one thread about where to buy and what lube to use for what cubes.

Lube Types (Descriptions by Thrawst)
    Lubix is like UN Security Council resolutions: it's not a be all end all solution, as the pieces usually need lubrication themselves. Purchase

Silicone, CRC, Jigaloo... 100% pure silicone lubricants are like mathematics: it's universal, works everywhere in the traditional sense. Buy at any hardware store.

Maru lube, Rubiks.com lube... is like unicorn blood in Harry Potter: It's magical at first, but it doesn't last long and you'll soon have to reapply it. Purchase

Vaseline or any other oil based lubricant are like US foreign policies: It may work for a while, or it may seem to work on paper, but in the long term things break down. Get at a drug store.

Shock Oil/Diff Oil is 100% Silicone, it has a similar feel to Lubix but slightly different. Put a small amount on, and your cube will become godly, but too much and it will be the devil. Get at a a hobby shop that sells RC cars.

For a Rubik's brand specifically I would go with CRC but not before this.

For more info on lube http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/Lubrication.

Please ask questions about people's experiences and what cubes to use what lube on below.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  2. emolover

emolover Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    WCA:
    2009MAHO01
    YouTube:
    jak343434
  3. gundamslicer

gundamslicer Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Ontario
    YouTube:
    Gundamslicer
    D49, diff oil. Where r they?

4. FatBoyXPC

FatBoyXPC Member

Nov 28, 2009
    WCA:
    2010LACH01
    YouTube:
    fatboyxpc
    It's a wiki, put information that doesn't belong in it, if you have information to put there.

5. But people can't ask questions in a wiki, we need a thread to centralize all of the lube questions.

6. uberCuber

uberCuber Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    WCA:
    2011THOM01
    Hmm I seem to remember that back when I lubed my Rubik's brand with Liquid Wrench it had a bad odor for a couple days. Do the, ah, more recommended lubes have bad odors like that?

7. emolover

emolover Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    WCA:
    2009MAHO01
    YouTube:
    jak343434
    You need to put some more on there. Shock oil/diff oil should be on there.

8. I'm working on it.

9. I've had my CRC smell a bit after I applied it for like 2 minutes. But when I worked it in there was none left (evaporated).

10. ElectricDoodie

ElectricDoodie Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Chicago
    I don't understand this part. When using Lubix/Diff Oil, you still lubricate the pieces themselves. So, what do you mean by this? I asked Thrawst, but he didn't answer. Since you used the same wording in this thread, I'm guessing you understand it, which is why I'm asking you for clarification.

11. radmin

radmin Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    WCA:
    2010HARD02
    With diff oil you lube the core then put one drop on an edge to lube the pieces. Resist the urge to use more than 1 drop. Any more than a drop can slow the cube down.

12. ElectricDoodie

ElectricDoodie Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Chicago
    I understand that. I actually have experience with using Diff Oil on cubes, and recommended it to others. The point is, the pieces themselves are still lubricated when using Diff Oil/Lubix. That's the reason I don't understand the analogy, since from what I'm understanding, it's wrong.

13. Bapao

Bapao Premium Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Uranus...
    YouTube:
    bapao76
    That post screams double entendre :)

14. cyoubx

cyoubx Member

Aug 13, 2010
    YouTube:
    cyoubx
    There are other cubes besides 3x3s...Some people insist on using Lubix/Diff Oil for big cubes, too. It doesn't always work as well as you hope. People don't lubricate every piece of a 7x7. And if they do, they're wasting the cube and the lube.

Arthur Williams likes this.
  15. ElectricDoodie

ElectricDoodie Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Chicago
    People use Diff Oil/Lubix on Big Cubes? Seems like a waste...
    I was pretty sure the Lubix analogy was written specifically for 3x3, but I guess he could've been talking about Big Cubes.

People don't lubricate every piece of a 7x7 with Lubix/Diff Oil, or with anything at all?

16. cyoubx

cyoubx Member

Aug 13, 2010
    YouTube:
    cyoubx
    Lubix/Diff Oil.

17. ElectricDoodie

ElectricDoodie Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Chicago
    I see. Well, OP could you add in parentheses that the analogy doesn't fit with 3x3, as it's misleading?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  18. radmin

radmin Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    WCA:
    2010HARD02
    All my v cubes responded best to jigaloo.( 5 6 and 7)

19. uberCuber

uberCuber Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    WCA:
    2011THOM01
    I have no idea what this means and I was simply wondering if jigaloo, crc, diff oil, etc. leave bad odors like liquid wrench