• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Clayy9

Um, the silicon oil has just written "Silikon õli" which translated means "Silicone oil" on the bottle. I didnt pay attention to Spray's brand name and i cant check it out since i dont have it at my place but my country house.
Well, I can't really tell you anything about the silicone oil. However, the silicone spray probably has some form of Petroleum distillates in it, which WILL cause the plastic to be softened. Depending on how much you put in there (anything over a second or two of spray is too much), it could cause your cube to be useless (and possibly fused together).

What brand of differential oil is recommended? Traxxas?
They all should be the same. I believe Ofna and Traxxas are the most popular, at least on this site.

cyoubx

YouTube
cyoubx
Me and a bunch of other guys found at a competition that if you mix shock oil with maru lube, it make a lube that is better than anything you have ever used in your whole life. We called it...

God in a bottle.
I was bored, so I decided to try it.
The concentration of shock oil to maru lube is about 1:2

Result: It's pretty amazing. One drop is enough to fully lubricate a 3x3. It gives the cube the speed maru lube gives it, but gives it a smooth feel, characteristic of shock oil. I'm still uncertain about how long it can last, though.

grommuz

does shock oil look like this?
?
and can anyone post picture of CRC bottle so i could make sure i have found right one? thanks

Clayy9

does shock oil look like this? -image-?
Yes, that is 25wt shock oil. Not to be confused with 25k wt shock oil.

I WANNA KNOW IF I CAN USE SILICONE SCRAY FROM LOWES ON MY DAYAN GUHONG!!! PLEASE REPLY
CRC, Jig-a-loo, D39, and Cyclone are all silicone sprays that have been used with success on cubes. They all should work with the Dayan Guhong.

Lluis

lubrication problem

Hello everyone.

I'm getting started with speedcubing and I have a problem (yes, already :D) trying to lubricate my cube. I bought a silicone spray (and it IS silicone) and it gets worse and worse. I know I'm supposed to wait after putting the silicone inside, but I've tried 4 times, with 4 different methods explained in videos, waiting every time many minutes (once I even waited for an hour), cleaning the cube between each try, and it won't work.

It kind of sucks because when I bought it it was really a great cube, very very smooth from the beginning, and I thought I could get it even smoother. Now I can do whatever I want, screw or unscrew it, clean it and try again, it remains hard to turn (or pops all the time when I unscrew too much).

By the way, it's not Rubik's brand nor a DIY, I bought it on a marketplace and I really hope I will have it back like it was because I don't think I will get a chance to find another like this one.

Thanks for helping me !!!

Bapao

Premium Member
YouTube
bapao76
Welcome!

The title of your thread just screams double entendre ;)

OT:
Does the plastic on your cube give way when you push a fingernail into it or does it hold ground? I mean on the lubed parts btw.

Last edited:

wontolla

WCA
2011GRAJ01
YouTube
wontollagdl
You probably sprayed too much lube, it is a common mistake when you are a newbie. Try with just a squirt, less than a second, and go from there.

And I think you are not suposed to wait after putting the silicone, otherwise the cube will get stuck. You wait when you disasamble the cube and spray on the pieces (when they are not touching each other).

Or maybe your silicone can just sucks. I have two different brands that never worked for me.