• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

I'm A Cuber

This has probably already been thought of, but I was thinking it might be useful on Megaminx to use Petrus EO during the last step of Westlund S2L (just the front face and the top need to be solved) and do a y rotation so you can solve the rest of S2L and OLL 2 gen.

1. has someone already come up with this?

2. would this be worse than just doing S2L normally?

EDIT: I looked it up, and it seems like this idea has been thought of many years ago.
I asked @CuberStache about this a month ago and he said it wasn’t worth it

This 2x2 method has probably already been proposed, but whatever
1. CPLine (Like in briggs/YruRU)
2. CO using only RU
3. Solve the first layer using R2U
4. Solved!

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Probably the best 2G method for 2x2:
CPLine, exactly the same way as Briggs/2GR.
L6C.
In terms of alg count, I dunno, but you could place one of the DR corners orientated in DR to reduce it to 339 algs, many of which would be trivial. You'd probably have to one look max 7 moves. I dunno how it compares to EG+TEG stuff people are doing now though.

FluxDigital01

I did a bit of searching and as far as I know, this specific belt variation hasn't really been discussed.

Another belt method:
  1. Solve the belt
  2. Orient edges
  3. Orient corners
  4. Using only [U, D, R2], solve the bottom layer similarly to how you turn a square-1
  5. PLL
I know that this may not be original, or fast, or efficient, but it is fun to solve with.

(Note: some, if not all, steps are not the most efficient and are what I came up with on the spot.)

Scramble: U' B2 L B2 D2 R2 F2 R' D2 L2 B2 D2 U2 B' R F' D2 R D' F'

E layer: D B' F2 R2 D2 F R U2 R'
EO: x2 Rw U R' U' M2 U R U' R' U' M' (literally the OLL case)
CO: D L2 U2 L2 R U2 R2 U' R2 U' R2 U2 R' (Setup to Pi)
D layer: U R2 D R2 D2 R2 D' R2 D U' R2 U2 R2 U R2 U' R2 U2 R2 U R2 D
PLL: U' R2 Uw R' U R' U' R Uw' R2 F' U F

PetraPine

YouTube
Visit Channel
I did a bit of searching and as far as I know, this specific belt variation hasn't really been discussed.

Another belt method:
  1. Solve the belt
  2. Orient edges
  3. Orient corners
  4. Using only [U, D, R2], solve the bottom layer similarly to how you turn a square-1
  5. PLL
I know that this may not be original, or fast, or efficient, but it is fun to solve with.

(Note: some, if not all, steps are not the most efficient and are what I came up with on the spot.)

Scramble: U' B2 L B2 D2 R2 F2 R' D2 L2 B2 D2 U2 B' R F' D2 R D' F'

E layer: D B' F2 R2 D2 F R U2 R'
EO: x2 Rw U R' U' M2 U R U' R' U' M' (literally the OLL case)
CO: D L2 U2 L2 R U2 R2 U' R2 U' R2 U2 R' (Setup to Pi)
D layer: U R2 D R2 D2 R2 D' R2 D U' R2 U2 R2 U R2 U' R2 U2 R2 U R2 D
PLL: U' R2 Uw R' U R' U' R Uw' R2 F' U F
I thought of this a couple months ago and realistically is probably common

Hey guys!
I've been working on making my own method for a little while now and this is what I came up with. Let me know what you think! ^^ Below is the full documentation I've made on it so far... More is coming up as I develop it.

You've just independently rediscovered Tripod, that's nice :)

edit: oof sorry but you've already known about Tripod.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Hey guys!
I've been working on making my own method for a little while now and this is what I came up with. Let me know what you think! ^^ Below is the full documentation I've made on it so far... More is coming up as I develop it.

This looks like Tripod with a beginner LSLL. Tripod steps are:

2x2x2
2x2x3
F2L-1
LS + 1x2x2 on U layer
LL (58 algs)

What you do is:

2x2x2
2x2x3
F2L-1
1x2x2 on U layer
Insert LS Corner
Corners (CP and beginner's CO)
Edges

Essentially it's just Tripod except a less alg LSLL. It has 7 algs instead of 58, but if you're looking for intuitive and low alg count, I'd check out Heise. It has 0 algs and is kinda similar to your method

EDIT: This is why I wanted you to post it on the forums; often people will independently create a method, but really it's the same as another method

EDIT 2: I looked over your algs, and the one for edges are awful. But the most important part: THERE ARE NO PARITY STATES. Having a hard state is not a parity state. If you really want to know what parity actually means, then let me know and I can explain it(this thread isn't good for that)

Last edited:
Hey guys!

It's fine, I'm sure we all made a method but just independently rediscovered a method, but that's pretty impressive for a first post, my first post was a lucky scramble.

Piroxis

This looks like Tripod with a beginner LSLL. Tripod steps are:

2x2x2
2x2x3
F2L-1
LS + 1x2x2 on U layer
LL (58 algs)

What you do is:

2x2x2
2x2x3
F2L-1
1x2x2 on U layer
Insert LS Corner
Corners (CP and beginner's CO)
Edges

Essentially it's just Tripod except a less alg LSLL. It has 7 algs instead of 58, but if you're looking for intuitive and low alg count, I'd check out Heise. It has 0 algs and is kinda similar to your method

EDIT: This is why I wanted you to post it on the forums; often people will independently create a method, but really it's the same as another method

EDIT 2: I looked over your algs, and the one for edges are awful. But the most important part: THERE ARE NO PARITY STATES. Having a hard state is not a parity state. If you really want to know what parity actually means, then let me know and I can explain it(this thread isn't good for that)
Thanks for the feedback!
Just out of curiosity, what makes my algs awful?

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Thanks for the feedback!
Just out of curiosity, what makes my algs awful?

Awful's not really the right word. But they're pretty bad for speedsolving both because of their length and also their fingertricks. All the B moves in the edge algs mostly. Also, you could make it more intuitive by just doing a 3e commutator for the edges, and a 3c commutator for 1-look corners if you want. It's still basically tripod with a bad LL though; for tripod just insert LS and then do 1lll(since you have the 1x2x2 block it's only ~50 algs)

Last edited:
YouTube
Visit Channel
Probably not good or original intuitive Pyraminx L4E idea: In Z3 cubing’s video, you place an edge, and then do L3E. If you insert the edge flipped, than you don’t have to worry about looking for which insert to do. If you insert DF, you will always get a 2-flip, which is fast to recognize and execute. This could be a good extension to intuitive L4E

brododragon

Probably not good or original intuitive Pyraminx L4E idea: In Z3 cubing’s video, you place an edge, and then do L3E. If you insert the edge flipped, than you don’t have to worry about looking for which insert to do. If you insert DF, you will always get a 2-flip, which is fast to recognize and execute. This could be a good extension to intuitive L4E
Sounds like a good idea.