• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

WoowyBaby

WCA
2018ISOM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
The actual difference between adjacent PLL's and diagonal PLL's is small enough that you'd likely be wasting time choosing a different algorithm for most OLL's. If you're instead doing an alternate algorithm that gives you an EPLL instead of a diagonal PLL, then your alternate OLL algorithm to do so can be a bit worse than normal OLL. There's a few cases where it's worth it, others not. Sometimes bad recognition for CP can make this slower and not worth it, like for sune and antisune corner orientations. An example of an OLL case that's totally worth it to do an alternate is if doing r U R' U' r' F R F' gives you diagonal PLL, its of course better to do U2 l' U' L U l F' L' F which is just a bit slower but gives you EPLL in return. But generally, probably not, most OLL's are not worth knowing an alternative algorithm for that, at least that's what I think.

Can somebody link me some really beginner zz line/cross example solves? All the ones I can find are either unclear or too advanced for me.

YouTube
Visit Channel
what's the best rotationless insert for backslots with misoriented edges OH . Normally I use f R' f' or f R' f', but those are impractical. There might be one I've never heard of before. Or is the best choice simply to rotate and insert 2-gen?

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
what's the best rotationless insert for backslots with misoriented edges OH . Normally I use f R' f' or f R' f', but those are impractical. There might be one I've never heard of before. Or is the best choice simply to rotate and insert 2-gen?
I can only remember the potentially worse VHLS r' U r U' r' U' r... (i can do it fast 2H)
for OH maybe rotate and insert is better

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
I don’t know what you mean by impractical. It’s very practical.

Brouxt Force

what's the best way to associate L and U COLL commutator cases with each alg / inverse / mirror / mirror inverse?
I'm having a hard time diferentiating each alg
For the U COLL (or CMLL) cases, I started out using four stickers to recognize. If the misoriented corners are in UBL and UBR, then the four stickers I would use are FUL, FUR, UBL, and UBR. The cases would be left column, right column, back row, front row, X checkerboard, and columns. Obviously in other orientations where you cannot see all four stickers, you would need either another way to recognize, or be able to deduce what one of the stickers you cannot see are. Figuring out what the last sticker with only three out of four is easy, so I just deduce one corner and immediately know the case (assuming I'm not being bad and flicking the U face to recognize. I am very guilty of that). That's basically what I did when I started 1-look CMLL for U cases and it is what I still do now.

For the L cases, I don't think there's any way to do it that is as easy as the U case recognition. I just use 3 stickers that I can see, and learned two recognition angles for it to avoid unnecessary AUFs. Adding the second sticker on one of the oriented corners may make it easier to remember all of the cases when you can see two faces of an oriented corner.

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
what's the best way to associate L and U COLL commutator cases with each alg / inverse / mirror / mirror inverse?

visualcube.jpg
for this one, the UBR and URF stickers are matching. The alg for this is R2 D' R U2 R' D R U2 R

visualcube (1).jpg
for this one, it would be UBL and ULF matching. The alg for this is R2 D R' U2 R D' R' U2 R'

idk about L cases tho

xyzzy

I just mentally call one of them "the first one I learnt" and "not that one, the other one" to distinguish between the mirror cases. (This is also why there are two pi CLL cases I actually can't differentiate at all: I learnt them together with mirror algs.)

For the 9-move L and U commutator cases, differentiating between inverses is easier, since the U cases start with R2 and the L cases start with R U2 R or R' U2 R'.