• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I just want to show him how the method works. This dude hasn't solved a cube in his life. What the different steps are, and everything. I don't want to show him how to solve the cube, just show him what is happening.
Cool. I’ll speak as if I was talking to someone who didn’t know how to solve a cube.

So the first step is to make a cross. I want to get the white edges (ones with two colours) next to the white centres, and make sure their other colour (not just the white) is matched up.
This will form a kind of base for us to work with.
Then we move into a step called F2L - first two layers. We don’t actually solve cubes side by side, we solve them in layers as it is easier to do.
You will notice that once we have made the cross, there are 4 slots in its corners that we can fill to finish the first two layers - four pairs. Those pairs are made up of a corner and an edge. You need to match them up, and then put them in the slots. This will take some fiddli by back and forth, and possibly learning some basic moves or algorithms, a few moves long.

Once you’ve done that, you only have the lat layer left. This bit is the trickiest because you cannot do anything without breaking up the first two layers, so we need to learn some algorithms. You can start of simple with just a few algorithms, but at an advanced level, there will be two steps. The first is OLL - Orientation of last layer. Since it is so hard to move things around here, we don’t care about getting them to matchup everywhere yet, just making a complete top side. At an advanced level, we can pick from 57 different algorithms to finish this in one go, but at a beginner level you will only need a few, albeit having to do two sub-steps.

It’s a similar thing for PLL, which stands for permutation of last layer. We’re going to now move all the pieces around to their correct places on all colours.
At an advanced level, we can pick from 21 different algorithms, but again, we can simplify it into two sub steps to need to learn less algorithms as a starter.
After finishing this step, the cube is solved!

I would advise you to solve a cube while explaining this for easier visualisation, and possibly also explain the stickers don’t move, it’s the individual pieces that do.

patricKING

Cool. I’ll speak as if I was talking to someone who didn’t know how to solve a cube.

So the first step is to make a cross. I want to get the white edges (ones with two colours) next to the white centres, and make sure their other colour (not just the white) is matched up.
This will form a kind of base for us to work with.
Then we move into a step called F2L - first two layers. We don’t actually solve cubes side by side, we solve them in layers as it is easier to do.
You will notice that once we have made the cross, there are 4 slots in its corners that we can fill to finish the first two layers - four pairs. Those pairs are made up of a corner and an edge. You need to match them up, and then put them in the slots. This will take some fiddli by back and forth, and possibly learning some basic moves or algorithms, a few moves long.

Once you’ve done that, you only have the lat layer left. This bit is the trickiest because you cannot do anything without breaking up the first two layers, so we need to learn some algorithms. You can start of simple with just a few algorithms, but at an advanced level, there will be two steps. The first is OLL - Orientation of last layer. Since it is so hard to move things around here, we don’t care about getting them to matchup everywhere yet, just making a complete top side. At an advanced level, we can pick from 57 different algorithms to finish this in one go, but at a beginner level you will only need a few, albeit having to do two sub-steps.

It’s a similar thing for PLL, which stands for permutation of last layer. We’re going to now move all the pieces around to their correct places on all colours.
At an advanced level, we can pick from 21 different algorithms, but again, we can simplify it into two sub steps to need to learn less algorithms as a starter.
After finishing this step, the cube is solved!

I would advise you to solve a cube while explaining this for easier visualisation, and possibly also explain the stickers don’t move, it’s the individual pieces that do.
Thanks. This helped a lot. He was absolutely stunned xD. I wonder how it would be to forget how to solve a cube and then try it from the beginning. It's a little bit nostalgic to think about the times when we didn't know how to solve a Rubik's cube.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
idk how fast it is due to regrip but I quite like using wide f moves to do inserts if I can prevent a rotation and keep the current slots where they are

Romy4

Is it easier to learn 3x3 blindfolded or one handed? If blindfolded which method is the easiest?

patricKING

Is it easier to learn 3x3 blindfolded or one handed? If blindfolded which method is the easiest?
I would say blindfolded. One-handed is harder to get good at, in my opinion. I'm learning blind now and it's easy to practise. I mean, I only remember lots of letter pairs and then I have learned it. I use the Old Pochmann method, which is the easiest but slowest. The faster method is M2 but is way harder.

Old Pochmann:

M2 (which is only for edges):

Advanced M2:
I found some other methods when browsing:

Eka & Orozco (methods):

These are the most popular methods, and Old Pochmann is the easiest. I don't know about Eka and Orozco, but for all the others M2 is the hardest. Here is a list of letter pairs and nice links you can use for memorization:
Hope this helps!

Romy4

I would say blindfolded. One-handed is harder to get good at, in my opinion. I'm learning blind now and it's easy to practise. I mean, I only remember lots of letter pairs and then I have learned it. I use the Old Pochmann method, which is the easiest but slowest. The faster method is M2 but is way harder.

Old Pochmann:

M2 (which is only for edges):

Advanced M2:
I found some other methods when browsing:

Eka & Orozco (methods):

These are the most popular methods, and Old Pochmann is the easiest. I don't know about Eka and Orozco, but for all the others M2 is the hardest. Here is a list of letter pairs and nice links you can use for memorization:
Hope this helps!
Thanks. How long do you think it will take to learn blindfolded?

patricKING

Thanks. How long do you think it will take to learn blindfolded?
The method is actually pretty easy, I mean, the setup moves are intuitive and you probably already know the T Perm and some other PLL algorithms. You have to know both J Perms (edge swapping), the R Perm (parity), the T Perm (edge swapping), the Y Perm (corner swapping). You can find it all here: How to solve the Rubik's Cube Blindfolded - Tutorial - Ruwix
I think it might take a week if you put in much effort. If you take it more easy it might take a month or so. But the hard thing is actually remembering the letters, so if you are good at remembering it'll be easy. If it's hard then it will take longer. Try it, write 20 random letters and try to remember them. Try using some techniques to master memorization. Remember two letters as one word and make up three words to one story. Just remember three short stories (2*3*3=18, a BLD solve is about 20 letters) and your cube is solved. It's as easy as that. Practise remembering letters, and you can even practise memorization without the cube, just generate some random letters and try to remember them.
Good luck!

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm in that position of picking a new alg to learn. This time it's V perm. I don't like the one with the rotation so I'm choosing between these two
R' U R' U' R D' R' D R' U D' R2 U' R2' D R2
R' U R U' R' f' U' R U2 R' U' R U' R' f R
I can't do either quickly right now but I guess the RUD one I will mess up more on?

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
I'm in that position of picking a new alg to learn. This time it's V perm. I don't like the one with the rotation so I'm choosing between these two
R' U R' U' R D' R' D R' U D' R2 U' R2' D R2
R' U R U' R' f' U' R U2 R' U' R U' R' f R
I can't do either quickly right now but I guess the RUD one I will mess up more on?
I’ve tried both, and the RUD one is faster for me, but drill them both and decide what’s faster for you.