• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Tom Joad

U perms.

I know them from the “front” and the “back”

Now I’m just teaching myself to integrate my pll and auf.

So what I’m thinking about is if my u perm is a u or a u’ from the front or back, I’m in a position to choose whether to do u then uperm from front or u’ then uperm from back.

Haha, are you still with me?

Ok, so one of these may leave the cube solved but the other may require a u2 at the end.

So obviously it is better to choose the option which does not require the u2 at the end.

But you have to be pretty good to see in advance which way to go. I’m guessing this is the kind of thing sub15 solvers have incorporated into their solves and do effortlessly at the end of the solve.

However, can any of you think back to when you couldn’t do this and the methods you used to teach yourself how to do it.

Integrating pll and auf in the most efficient manner doesn’t seem to get much press.

Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.

Thanks as always, from a 19ish second solver...

So obviously it is better to choose the option which does not require the u2 at the end.

But you have to be pretty good to see in advance which way to go. I’m guessing this is the kind of thing sub15 solvers have incorporated into their solves and do effortlessly at the end of the solve.

I'm sub 15 and I randomly pick between doing a U then U perm from the front, or U' then U perm from the back. I don't really have a system for it. In fact, I've seen Feliks in this position and he did a U' then a U perm from the back and a U2 at the end. This is the solve: http://cubesolv.es/solve/4993. Here's a slow motion of it: https://i.imgur.com/YO3H4HY.gifv. It was a 4.99 second solve, so that shows you that this consideration shouldn't have much of an impact on time.

Tom Joad

I'm sub 15 and I randomly pick between doing a U then U perm from the front, or U' then U perm from the back. I don't really have a system for it. In fact, I've seen Feliks in this position and he did a U' then a U perm from the back and a U2 at the end. This is the solve: http://cubesolv.es/solve/4993. Here's a slow motion of it: https://i.imgur.com/YO3H4HY.gifv. It was a 4.99 second solve, so that shows you that this consideration shouldn't have much of an impact on time.

Thanks, super answer!

Sion

Is this a good V perm? Trying to go for something that doesn't require regripping: R' U2 R U2 L U' R' U L' U L U' R U L'

Sue Doenim

Here's a really nice V perm, in case you prefer it. I think I used to use the alg you posted, but I didn't like it.
R' U R U' x' U (R U2 R' U' R U' R') U2 R U R' U' x

Landon360

new cuber here :p

i learned 2x2 first so i decided i could base my knowledge of 3x3 on 2x2. i plan of making my own variation of corners first where you solve a layer then the other four corners then swapping the rest of the edges to the solved state. so is there any algs that swap only two specified edges and doesn't effect anything else? thanks :D (sorry if this is in the wrong section, idk where request alg is)

Sue Doenim

On a 3x3 cube, there is no way to swap only two edges. If you really want to continue with that method, look into commutators. Using commutators, you can intuitively come up with algorithms that move three edges in a cycle. Really, though, it'd be easier just to learn a more conventional 3x3 method.

xyzzy

new cuber here :p

i learned 2x2 first so i decided i could base my knowledge of 3x3 on 2x2. i plan of making my own variation of corners first where you solve a layer then the other four corners then swapping the rest of the edges to the solved state. so is there any algs that swap only two specified edges and doesn't effect anything else? thanks :D (sorry if this is in the wrong section, idk where request alg is)
Other than what Sue Doenim said, you can also look into the Old Pochmann method, which uses a corner swap and edge swap alg (e.g. R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F') repeatedly to solve the whole cube. It's normally used as a beginner's blindfold solving method, but it can of course also be used for normal (sighted) solving.

Conor Chin

So I've more or less mastered the white cross method (beginner method) of solving the cube. I can solve in under 2 mins. I have a speed cube. What do I do now? How do I get faster?

Duncan Bannon

So I've more or less mastered the white cross method (beginner method) of solving the cube. I can solve in under 2 mins. I have a speed cube. What do I do now? How do I get faster?
Some people prefer you get sub 1:30ish before switching to a method. What cube do you have?

Use this:https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/threads/beginners-guide-to-choosing-a-speedsolving-method.43471/

And find out what method you want to use. The top three are: CFOP, Roux, ZZ.

Once you try each method and find out which one you like continue with that method. From their you can request further help :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Conor Chin

Conor Chin

Perfect! That cube can easily take you sub 20, 15 and maybe 10. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
I agree it's a very good cube. My problem is that it's TOO FAST! I find that the layers are slipping and I'm constantly making mistakes when solving. How do I learn finger tricks and how to handle the cube in general?

xyzzy

I don't have a clue how to do that. Its just the easiest way I could figure. How do you do that? Thanks
The video title links to the video itself. Alternatively, you can right-click on the video and there'll be a "Copy video URL" option.

Conor Chin

Hehe... I'm having a lot of trouble using the finger tricks, it just feels uncomfortable. Using minimal finger tricks I can get a sub 1:30 solve using the beginner's method if I switch techniques would finger tricks be easier to use?