• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

cantcube

Since i got into cubing, i focused on areas i enjoyed (e.g. learning F2L, then learning 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL), then trying to get into speed-cubing (getting a decent cross, learning 1-look PLL, trying to get better at F2L). Learning algs has been fun because it also is kind of rewarding, nice when you get an alg down. Getting better crosses is kind of rewarding, too, because after some time i've build up some intuition. What is really wearing me down is getting better at F2L.

Slowing down to look ahead isn't my problem. After my cross, i just get "stuck" and can't decide on which pair to do first (if i see one). Looking ahead during cross is still far beyond my skill, and i'm very slow anyway. I tried closing my eyes during F2L pairs to improve my look ahead. But i haven't seen improvements. I also tried using a metronome. But my problem with that is, i do a random turn when it ticks, which just interrupts me from looking for a pair... I feel like i'm doing something very wrong here or i'm misunderstanding the conventional wisdom.

As a rough breakdown, i mostly can solve a 3x3 in 1 minute (10 sec. for cross, 40 sec. for F2L, 10 sec. for OLL + PLL*, again rough breakdown, i don't time this regularly).

Should i just time every solve and try harder? Do i need another way to train F2L? Am i cheating myself by how i learned to do the cross? Do i need to put in so much more work to get decent at F2L?

EDIT:
*: getting e.g. a G-perm this will take longer of course because i can't recognize it fast. but the general breakdown still should be about correct.

Oatch

Slowing down to look ahead isn't my problem. After my cross, i just get "stuck" and can't decide on which pair to do first (if i see one). Looking ahead during cross is still far beyond my skill, and i'm very slow anyway. I tried closing my eyes during F2L pairs to improve my look ahead. But i haven't seen improvements. I also tried using a metronome. But my problem with that is, i do a random turn when it ticks, which just interrupts me from looking for a pair... I feel like i'm doing something very wrong here or i'm misunderstanding the conventional wisdom.

I wouldn't stress too much about it especially if you only just recently learnt F2L. Since in the F2L step you solve the most pieces compared to any other step, it is normal that it takes more time than all of the other steps. As you said yourself, looking ahead during cross is a very tricky skill to master; many people struggle with the cross to F2L transition.

What I might recommend for you at this stage is instead of focusing on trying all the look-ahead exercises that you're working on (e.g. metronome, solving pairs blind), instead just work to familiarise yourself on all of the F2L cases. What you want to aim for is being able to see a pair, then immediately know the solution which you can quickly execute. Lookahead only really becomes a significant issue when locating the pieces takes the most time out of the F2L stage, but if there's even some hesitation between seeing a pair and solving it, then there's something you can work on. Training F2L lookahead really only makes sense once solving the pairs becomes virtually second nature to you, so I think for the moment working on familiarisation of the F2L cases will go a long way in dropping your times. I didn't really work on lookahead as much personally until I was about sub-20, so there's plenty of other aspects you can improve in the meantime which should yield rapid improvements.

Tom Joad

I know full oll and I’m now learning algorithms for some olls from the opposite side (to avoid auf before oll)

Obviously some olls have nicer algorithms than others from various angles.

Is there any recognised list of (or can any one recommend) the particular olls which a cuber should definitely know from at least two angles?

I’m currently just going by popularity on algnet

Thanks

jaredye

I have a quick question regarding OH.

What is a quick finger-trick friendly way to avoid dot OLL for the following case? Preferably no F moves. The VHLS for this case is so stupidly unfriendly for OH.

vhls-UB8.png

In addition, what do you do for the mirror case?

vhls-LU8.png

Sue Doenim

What is a quick finger-trick friendly way to avoid dot OLL for the following case? Preferably no F moves. The VHLS for this case is so stupidly unfriendly for OH.

vhls-UB8.png

vhls-LU8.png
R' D' r U' r' D R2 U R' works for the first.
R' F R2 U' M' U2 r' U' F' is okay for the second, but does include some Fs.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel

vhls-UB8.png

vhls-LU8.png
For the first one, I wouldn't force all edges to be oriented. Instead, I would orient two edges (which is pretty easy and still avoids a dot case):
(U2) r U' r' U' r U r'

For the second case, I would rotate and do the F/B mirror.

Destiny

Since i got into cubing, i focused on areas i enjoyed (e.g. learning F2L, then learning 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL), then trying to get into speed-cubing (getting a decent cross, learning 1-look PLL, trying to get better at F2L). Learning algs has been fun because it also is kind of rewarding, nice when you get an alg down. Getting better crosses is kind of rewarding, too, because after some time i've build up some intuition. What is really wearing me down is getting better at F2L.

As a rough breakdown, i mostly can solve a 3x3 in 1 minute (10 sec. for cross, 40 sec. for F2L, 10 sec. for OLL + PLL*, again rough breakdown, i don't time this regularly).

Should i just time every solve and try harder? Do i need another way to train F2L? Am i cheating myself by how i learned to do the cross? Do i need to put in so much more work to get decent at F2L?

EDIT:
*: getting e.g. a G-perm this will take longer of course because i can't recognize it fast. but the general breakdown still should be about correct.

Just practice alot. I average 31 seconds and I don't even know 2 look oll. I've practiced my F2L for hours and hours

Tom Joad

F2l 24

I use the most popular algorithm when it I see above the front right slot and needs to go in the front right slot.

But when it is mirrored so it above the front left slot and I want to put it in the front left slot... should I just mirror the algorithm or is there’s a faster way?

Thanks guys and girls.

xyzzy

post a friggin picture so we don't have to look up which case you're talking about

(but I already did that, so you don't have to, unless the case I found is not the case you were asking about)

But when it is mirrored so it above the front left slot and I want to put it in the front left slot... should I just mirror the algorithm or is there’s a faster way?
F U R U' R' F' L' U' L (no rotation)
y' R2 U2 R' U' R U' R2 (yes rotation)

Tom Joad

I’m using algdb.net to teach myself some winter variation cases.

I read a lot “it’s worth learning the easy ones” or “it’s worth learning about a third of them”

On algdb.net the cases are numbered. Can anyone tell me, by number, which are the cases I should bother to learn.

Thanking you

Tom Joad

I would recommend learning from these pages:
Cubeskills
JPerm

Thanks!

Personally, which ones would you bother to learn?

(I average 18 seconds and currently have various mini-projects going on to knock a few more seconds off my time ie. I don’t feel i’ve plateaued yet. However, having learnt full oll, I think the easy winter variation cases is as far as I’ll go, just don’t have the time to commit any further. That’s why i’m keen to know which ones to bother with and in what order. Obviously, once I start to experiment, i’ll Probably just work out the answer myself)