• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

CoryThigpen

Premium Member
WCA
2011THIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Andrew Ricci introduced me to Shock Oil last weekend at MIT. I had been using Jig-a-loo and/or Lubix, but am now a believer. No more modding my cube and trying to make it better. His cube is unmodded with nothing but shock oil and is riciculously smooth!!! It's way better than both of my modded ZhanChis. My Lubix lube is going in the trash and the 30w shock oil is going on my mantle.

kakamaka

Andrew Ricci introduced me to Shock Oil last weekend at MIT. I had been using Jig-a-loo and/or Lubix, but am now a believer. No more modding my cube and trying to make it better. His cube is unmodded with nothing but shock oil and is riciculously smooth!!! It's way better than both of my modded ZhanChis. My Lubix lube is going in the trash and the 30w shock oil is going on my mantle.

Is there difference between Diff oil 50w and Stock oil 30w?

I just ordered Diff oil 50w Traxxas after reading through some posts! I hope this works well!

scrubofcubes

what lubrication should I buy, I am just starting out, i've heard maru lube works well for a short time, should i just buy that to test it out?

skeletonboy

what lubrication should I buy, I am just starting out, i've heard maru lube works well for a short time, should i just buy that to test it out?

Budget? Hobby Shop near you? Hardware store near you?

If you are willing to go expensive, Lubix can be a very good lube; might be one of the best. It is very smooth and fast, the only problem is that it can be too fast because of its substance or too slow because of the ease of overlubing. It can cost 10-10 dollars.

A very good substitute for Lubix is Diff oil or Shock Oil, pure silicone just like Lubix. It can be found in hobby shops or shops that sell model racing cars. It doesn't cost a lot, normally a whole bottle for around 5 bucks whereas Lubix would cost like 20 dollars for the same amount. If you don't have a hobby shop near you, you can buy it online, and it will still be cheaper than Lubix unless shipping is over $10. It is very fast and smooth too, like a boss, but not nearly as "overshooting" as Lubix, which is a good thing. You can still make the cube gummy or slow, just beware with lubing a cube with a Lubix type substance.

If you have neither of the criteria needed for above lubes or just don't want to buy online, then try 100% silicone sprays. These are
CRC Food Grade Silicone
CRC Heavy Duty Silicone
Jigaloo

All these are very similar. All of them seem to have a significance of melting the plastic slightly, but it will harden within seconds. All of these can act as glue too, just break or play the cube in for at least 30 secs to 1 min before letting it rest. All of these are fast and quite smooth, but you know, any type of lube works well, not really much of a performance difference. Other than CRC silicone having to leave white stuff on your cube, it really just depends on where you live and your availability to these lubes.

kakamaka

I just ordered from eBay Traxxas Diff Oil 50000. It costs about $8 including shipping (shipped from CA). Everyone is happy with it, and I hope I would be as well.

I used CRC on my 4 year old Rubik's DIY and the cube works pretty good except that it kinda locks a lot and I can see that the CRC "ate" a little bit of the plastic. Anyway, its been 4 years and the wear is acceptable.

scrubofcubes

sorry for the lack of specifics, what is the difference between shock and differential? Is differential just thicker? thanks I guess ill just get shock/differential because it seems to be a good balance between price and functionality. thanks again

kakamaka

sorry for the lack of specifics, what is the difference between shock and differential? Is differential just thicker? thanks I guess ill just get shock/differential because it seems to be a good balance between price and functionality. thanks again

Yes, from what I researched, the difference between shock and diff is thickness! (Diff is thicker). But I heard some cubers use both with success.

skeletonboy

Both work well on cubes, viscosity comes in many kinds, it varies only in viscosity.

kakamaka

I just got my 50k wt diff oil. It its awesome awesome awesome... I used it on my F2, Zanchi and Cube 4 you brand. It instantly improved the cubes movement. Really happy with it. And to think I only used 2 small drops on each cube...

Also, on my F2 I lubed the center pieces, washers and screws and this thing flies now.

However, on my DIY rubiks brand filed with plastic dust and CRC things are quite different. It actually slowed down the cube. I would probably have to do a really good cleaning and then lube it with diff oil again.

Anyway, overall experience with 50k diff oil is amazing.

poke544

Using Paintball Marker lubricant in a speedcube

I was wondering if anyone had tried this. I'm not worried about it reacting with the plastic because the lube is designed to not react with the O-rings in the markers.

If no one has tried this, then I will volunteer to be the first.

scrubofcubes

By hear, do you mean the people that tested it on YouTube? The same group of people that tested the force cube and said it was amazing? Just saying...

I mean, it's still a valid question. It's cheaper than lubix, and if it has comparable performance it's kind of a big deal. AND they offer two different varieties

skeletonboy

I'm not sure, but that looks very similar to a re-named/re-packaged Maru Lube. Maru Lube is a milky colored lube (as you can tell). When you first apply it, your cube will most likely feel very fast. (different cubes will have different reactions). But after a week or two, it will start to slow down dramatically or get gummy. Then you will have to re-apply. And when you apply it, it wont be such an easy job because it is very runny, and it may make your cube "wet". It dries out very quickly with usage, and some cubes don't even have good results with it. May I ask which cube you are planning it to apply for? I would rather go with silicone sprays such as CRC or Jigaloo, or some diff oil/shock oil. These lubes are very good and last a while with rarely many defects. (Although Jigaloo only melts the plastic for a minute, if you move the cube around constantly, no worry on the "glued pieces' problem).

poke544

I was wondering if anyone had tried this. I'm not worried about it reacting with the plastic because the lube is designed to not react with the O-rings in the markers.

If no one has tried this, then I will volunteer to be the first.

I feel like a dolt now. I just realize that I hadn't described what to try.

Dow 33 paintball gun grease works amazingly. It comes in a tiny container, and is white and solid. It's designed to stay in place on a paintball gun, while not reacting with the O-rings, and it does a great job on a cube. I actually put too much on, and needed to take most of it off. A tiny dab is all that is needed.

Edit: Just making sure it was ***** that I said, because it was bleeped out.

Edit 2: Yep. I didn't even realize that it would bleep out a word like that. Changing it to dolt.

Last edited: