• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I sell cubes semi locally and many of people are asking if I sell lube which i do not. I want to make high quality lubes like Speedcubeshop or the cubicle but i’m not sure where to get started. Again, i’m not trying to make cheap lubes with olive oil and lotion, I want it to be actual lubricant.

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I sell cubes semi locally and many of people are asking if I sell lube which i do not. I want to make high quality lubes like Speedcubeshop or the cubicle but i’m not sure where to get started. Again, i’m not trying to make cheap lubes with olive oil and lotion, I want it to be actual lubricant.
I bet you can find a small group that makes lube in china and you can contact them to supply to you and you can change the label and branding to your own and sell it. Pretty sure that is what SCS does

Kaiju_cube

just to give anyone that has the previous sizes from the Cubicle an idea of the size of the new small samplers...

20210920_140644.jpg

one nice thing about the sampler is the tip is long and comes to a point, so it's much easier to get it in between the cubie pieces than the other bottles that have the more typical eye-dropper sort of tip.

It is quite small however.

Gerry

Does anyone find that the really new cubes don't need fancy lubes? I'm still very new to cubing, and watching lube videos I noticed something. The older the video the worse the advice is for new cubes. If the cube age is roughly the same as video age is works well.

Example: An old cube I got for free, Sulong I think it's called. Was horrible. Tore it down, lubed springs, core, pieces, pretty much everything. With 3 different lubes as directed. Made a world of difference. Thick lube for core and springs and thin lube for pieces.

Then when I tried that with my newer cubes, like the RS3M 2020, and Gan cubes, it turned them both into unusable junk until I cleaned them out again. Once cleaned, just a couple drops of DNM-37 and was good to go.

Did the technology, and manufacturing process of cubes get good enough that the need for specific lubes is gone? I mean core/springs more than anything. Like just add a few drops of your favourite lube to the outer layers right out of the box and you are good to go?

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Silicone lube has always been the baseline for smoothing out cubes, even a decade ago. I'm not sure how necessary core lube is but I don't think the fundamentals have changed.

Reactions: LBr

CubeRed

Does anyone find that the really new cubes don't need fancy lubes? I'm still very new to cubing, and watching lube videos I noticed something. The older the video the worse the advice is for new cubes. If the cube age is roughly the same as video age is works well.

Example: An old cube I got for free, Sulong I think it's called. Was horrible. Tore it down, lubed springs, core, pieces, pretty much everything. With 3 different lubes as directed. Made a world of difference. Thick lube for core and springs and thin lube for pieces.

Then when I tried that with my newer cubes, like the RS3M 2020, and Gan cubes, it turned them both into unusable junk until I cleaned them out again. Once cleaned, just a couple drops of DNM-37 and was good to go.

Did the technology, and manufacturing process of cubes get good enough that the need for specific lubes is gone? I mean core/springs more than anything. Like just add a few drops of your favourite lube to the outer layers right out of the box and you are good to go?
Well, the fundamentals haven't changed greatly. Cubing hardware has gotten a long way especially in the last 10~15 years. I don't know why lubingb the hardware made it worse though. It should be the same at the worst.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
Which of these lubes is the best?
a) Gan lube
b) scs lube
c) cubicle lubes
TheCubicle is my favorite, but a lot of people like SCS as well. I also don’t really like where SCS is going from a business perspective, which is another good reason to choose TheCubicle. Just please don’t get Gan lube.

Kaiju_cube

Well, the fundamentals haven't changed greatly. Cubing hardware has gotten a long way especially in the last 10~15 years. I don't know why lubingb the hardware made it worse though. It should be the same at the worst.

the RS3M is already a fast/loose cube, if anything it needs core lube to slow it down,..so I'd imagine lubing the pieces with any kind of speed lube would turn it into an uncontrollable mess.

<that's my guess anyway>

Gerry

the RS3M is already a fast/loose cube, if anything it needs core lube to slow it down,..so I'd imagine lubing the pieces with any kind of speed lube would turn it into an uncontrollable mess.

<that's my guess anyway>
I think you may be on to something. My arthritic hands/fingers find heavy/slow cubes hard to use. The RS3M is heavier than the Gan cubes, but I'm guessing the actual cubies are quite light compared to older cubes. Not so much the weight of the entire cube, it's how heavy a side feels when trying to turn it.

Gerry

if you want light and snappy (and controllable) the Gan Duo is really good.
Yeah, just got the Duo. It shaved a significant amount of time off my Ao5. However not everyone will find the same. It's a matter of less pain and tiredness in my fingers compared to other heavier/slower cubes. I find it puts less strain on fingers too because it can be looser without being so loose it's uncontrollable due to the core magnets.

Just need maglev for spriings, and for edge/corner magnets for a near frictionless cube!

Kaiju_cube

yeah I'm starting to think the first 11 M Pro I got was a fluke (bad) one. Because the Duo and UV's I got, and the stickered one, are all a lot better. The first one I got is very slow and sluggish like it's full of grease. I complained about it. But the others have been pretty good. The Duo and UV's have been best. (they feel the same, but I prefer the UV coating over the soft-frosted coating)