• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

VenomCubing

WCA
2017MORT01
Core: Traxxas 30K if anything.
Pieces: Traxxas 30K and DNM-37.

All this leads to a cube that is super smooth and quick, yet controllable. I strongly recommend it for a Moyu Magnetic Skewb. It gives practically everything an amazing gummy feel with a hint of crispiness. I suggest generous amounts of the traxxas 30K, and no more than 2 drops of DNM-37.

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
I want to lube my cube but I know my mother won't get me a lubricant or silicone spray.:confused: So I just want to know if this DIY lube is safe for my cube.
Anyone tried this? If so please tell me if this is good for cube.

PS: Sorry for my bad English :(I am not a native speaker and hope you all understand.
Safe? Yeah, sure, it isn't caustic or anything, but I wouldn't put it in my cubes.
That lubricant is mostly just cooking oil, which is a fat. The shampoo is basically just being used as a surfactant to make the water runnier and spread more thoroughly. The mouthwash is being used to color it, I guess? He said it had no effect, which is false, but that leaves only the one option...
The shampoo and mouthwash will leave behind fragrances, flavorants, oils, etc. that will build up as gunk over time, while the cooking oil will likely break down and congeal. It's not really gonna ruin your cube, and it may actually work pretty well for a while, but it'll make your cube a sticky and gross mess that you'll have to clean up regularly.
Though I'm curious if @4Chan thinks any different. I've wondered about this sort of stuff for a while.

ihavenolife

Hi, I'm debating between Lubicle One, Lubicle Silk, and DNM-37. Because of budget reasons, I cannot get all three, so what should I get????

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Safe? Yeah, sure, it isn't caustic or anything, but I wouldn't put it in my cubes.
That lubricant is mostly just cooking oil, which is a fat. The shampoo is basically just being used as a surfactant to make the water runnier and spread more thoroughly. The mouthwash is being used to color it, I guess? He said it had no effect, which is false, but that leaves only the one option...
The shampoo and mouthwash will leave behind fragrances, flavorants, oils, etc. that will build up as gunk over time, while the cooking oil will likely break down and congeal. It's not really gonna ruin your cube, and it may actually work pretty well for a while, but it'll make your cube a sticky and gross mess that you'll have to clean up regularly.
Though I'm curious if @4Chan thinks any different. I've wondered about this sort of stuff for a while.

Yes! Oils go rancid over time.
Dash Lambda is correct!

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
Does anyone know?
Not sure about Cosmic, but as for the Cubicle stuff...
DNM-37 is a water-based lubricant that essentially one-ups Maru. Has pretty much the same effect (except it seems to make the cube a little smoother too), but it lasts quite a lot longer, and it doesn't leave that gunk behind.
Lubicle 1 deposits Teflon on the plastic, which lowers the coefficient of friction and smooths out the surfaces. In my experience, it makes the cube feel smoother and more slick but doesn't dampen noise or the feeling of rigidity.

Not sure about Cosmic, but as for the Cubicle stuff...
DNM-37 is a water-based lubricant that essentially one-ups Maru. Has pretty much the same effect (except it seems to make the cube a little smoother too), but it lasts quite a lot longer, and it doesn't leave that gunk behind.
Lubicle 1 deposits Teflon on the plastic, which lowers the coefficient of friction and smooths out the surfaces. In my experience, it makes the cube feel smoother and more slick but doesn't dampen noise or the feeling of rigidity.
I have DNM, I wanted to know the differences between the bunch and which is best.

Jont828

What's the difference between DNM-37, Lubicle Silk, and Lubicle One? Also, how long does Lubicle Silk last? Should I clean it out and relube the pieces once a month? It's like Unicorn blood and if I'll need more, I'll buy the 10cc bottle.

Also, I heard that DNM is like Maru that lasts a bit longer. Exactly how long is it? Does it go overnight (and if so, does it last as long as silk)? Thanks!

Hey there I'm using Gan 356 air Ultimate.W
I keep seeing all of these questions about lube. I think it would be good to keep lubrication questions all in one thread about where to buy and what lube to use for what cubes.

Lube Types (Descriptions by Thrawst)
Lubix is like UN Security Council resolutions: it's not a be all end all solution, as the pieces usually need lubrication themselves. Purchase

Silicone, CRC, Jigaloo... 100% pure silicone lubricants are like mathematics: it's universal, works everywhere in the traditional sense. Buy at any hardware store.

Maru lube, Rubiks.com lube... is like unicorn blood in Harry Potter: It's magical at first, but it doesn't last long and you'll soon have to reapply it. Purchase

Vaseline or any other oil based lubricant are like US foreign policies: It may work for a while, or it may seem to work on paper, but in the long term things break down. Get at a drug store.

Shock Oil/Diff Oil is 100% Silicone, it has a similar feel to Lubix but slightly different. Put a small amount on, and your cube will become godly, but too much and it will be the devil. Get at a a hobby shop that sells RC cars.

For a Rubik's brand specifically I would go with CRC but not before this.

For more info on lube http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/Lubrication.

Please ask questions about people's experiences and what cubes to use what lube on below.
What kind of lube do you think I should use???

Last edited by a moderator:

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
What's the difference between DNM-37, Lubicle Silk, and Lubicle One? Also, how long does Lubicle Silk last? Should I clean it out and relube the pieces once a month? It's like Unicorn blood and if I'll need more, I'll buy the 10cc bottle.

Also, I heard that DNM is like Maru that lasts a bit longer. Exactly how long is it? Does it go overnight (and if so, does it last as long as silk)? Thanks!
-Silk makes the cube smoother, quieter, and a bit 'softer' feeling how I'd describe it. It lasts a matter of weeks, sometimes more than a month.
-One makes the cube smoother and a bit slick (therefore faster), but retains the rigid feeling of the plastic. It works primarily by depositing Teflon in the plastic, so it lasts quite long -I got it pretty much when it came out and, while I have put more into my puzzles, it's because I wanted them to be even more smooth and slick, not because it needed replacement.
-DNM-37 feels pretty much like Maru, but it also makes the cube feel smoother almost like it has a hint of Silk (plus, it leaves no gunk). I usually replace it every week or two.

Jont828

-Silk makes the cube smoother, quieter, and a bit 'softer' feeling how I'd describe it. It lasts a matter of weeks, sometimes more than a month.
-One makes the cube smoother and a bit slick (therefore faster), but retains the rigid feeling of the plastic. It works primarily by depositing Teflon in the plastic, so it lasts quite long -I got it pretty much when it came out and, while I have put more into my puzzles, it's because I wanted them to be even more smooth and slick, not because it needed replacement.
-DNM-37 feels pretty much like Maru, but it also makes the cube feel smoother almost like it has a hint of Silk (plus, it leaves no gunk). I usually replace it every week or two.

So basically DNM is Maru that lasts longer? Also, does Silk or One make the cube faster? And does One last longer? Sorry for all the questions; just wanted to know what I'm gonna be getting before I buy. Thanks!

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
So basically DNM is Maru that lasts longer? Also, does Silk or One make the cube faster? And does One last longer? Sorry for all the questions; just wanted to know what I'm gonna be getting before I buy. Thanks!
Yes, DNM-37 is extremely similar to Maru but lasts much longer.
All of these lubes make the cube faster, in the order DNM-37 > One > Silk.
And of the three, One lasts the longest.

Kevin4

How do the three different traxxas lubes compare with the cubicle silicone lube? Is 10k similar to weight 1, 30k similar to weight 3 etc? Or are they different?