• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

RyanMCLNY

WCA
2010MCIL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
As far as the Tanglong goes.....I like it. One of my favorite 3x3s! If you don't lube it.
I offer no help. I am just agreeing. The Tanglong responds horribly to any lube I find. I have a Tanglong that died after I lubed it. Oh well, just not a cube that needs it I guess.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
It was my main and I loved it until dirt started to accumulate and it became so sluggish I had to clean it. Of course, I took the chance of disassembling it to lube the core with weigth 5 and decided to put weigth 2 on the pieces to not make it too slow. As a result now the cube is completely unstable and not nice to solve any more. The middle layer seems to have life of its own and does not want to stay with the left layer when you're turning the right one unless grip is firm so I end up misturning and locking up a lot.

I have not tried to clean and relube, maybe I should try with weigth 5 on the pieces as well? Is it spoiled forever?

efattah

My advice is to forget the Tanglong and move to Yuexiao, Weilong GTS or Gans356v2, with my preference being Weilong GTS.

The Tanglong starts out unbelievable, and quickly ends up super slow with no way to ever restore it back to its former glory. If you check the forum you'll see this is a common problem. Unless you want to buy a new Tanglong every 3 weeks, which is the only way I know of to enjoy it. I bought several and burned through them and could never restore them no matter what I did.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
My advice is to forget the Tanglong and move to Yuexiao, Weilong GTS or Gans356v2, with my preference being Weilong GTS.

The Tanglong starts out unbelievable, and quickly ends up super slow with no way to ever restore it back to its former glory. If you check the forum you'll see this is a common problem. Unless you want to buy a new Tanglong every 3 weeks, which is the only way I know of to enjoy it. I bought several and burned through them and could never restore them no matter what I did.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada
Thanks for the advice. I will not waste more time on that. A pity, as I loved the cube as it was out of the box. My problem with the Yuexiao is corner-center lockups, like in thumb F' (end of T-perm). I tightened it a bit but it soon loses corner cutting if too tight, so I had to loosen it back halfway through. Maybe I should try the Weilong GTS but I fear it will be too fast. I'm on a Hualong right now. I don't have a Gans 356 either (too expensive).

zhewenteh

I've cleaned it, tensioned it to looser tensions, and put in a little weight 3 speedlube from speedcubeshop. It still doesn't turn well. Anyone have an idea why?

Lack of lube maybe.
"Cleaned it out and put a LITTLE bit of wt.3." Might be too dry.

Hey guys!

I got this lube together with my Moyu Tanglong, but i dont know what kind of Lube this is. From what is does to the cube i would say it is some kind of Maru Lube. It is a milky white fluid.

Here are some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/Bjk9S
Bjk9S

Might be some kind of knockoff lube...similar to the z lube i guess? The bottle cap looks like the z lube one...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Joad

Hi everyone. I've been cubing for a year and never used any lube before (on my cube).

I solve in about 23-29 seconds and I've put the timer away for now as I'm just learning full oll.

I have a yuexiao guoguan cube which I've been using for many hours every day for the last month. Now I don't know if it's just psychological, but it seems less smooth than it was and that a bit of lube might help as I'm trying to reach sub20.

I've never been able to do a U2 in one quick movement and it seems impossible to incorporate into my game unless there was less friction.

Can anyone offer any advice regarding whether I should lube at all, and if so which lube I should use?

I am based in uk so if you can recommend a shop or website too, that would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Tom Joad

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
I hope this is the right place to bring this problem...

I recently got a silicone set from the Cubicle and tried to use the 'Speedy' viscosity on my Aolong V2, but the plunger stuck a little and I ended up suddenly emptying about 1mL into the cube. I've since cleaned out most of the lubricant and it turns quite nicely (doesn't feel gummy or over-lubricated at all), but it just can't stay dry on the outside. No matter how much I clean it, it always develops a sort of slippery/slimy feeling after a couple solves.

I've considered replacing the stickers, but I don't currently have a set so that's not a viable solution for the moment.

First i want to apologize because i wouldnt doubt if this is discussed somewhere on the forum but i am new to the forum so i dont know how to navigate through it and im needing a fairly quick answer, i will get some good lube at some point but i dont have the finances right now to do so and im wondering what household items there are that i can use on my cube without petroleum products in them, im not looking for an ideal household solution just something that will help a bit without damaging it

Abo

Cubey time on YouTube has done a series called will it lube, don't remember many good ones, but I'm guessing something like vegetable oil would work, what cube are you working with?

at the moment the rubiks brand speed cube because i got my girlfriend addicted to cubing and shes hogging up my aolong v3 i will check out cubey time though thank you for the reply

Lol regardless if i find an answer or not, i started the will it lube videos and i wasnt looking but i heard something like "we're going to try lubing this with dirt" and i got a very hearty chuckle out it that was well needed, thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using my Aolong v2 from 1 year, and every time lube it with maru (2-3 drops).... I havn't lubed its core yet.... So, I want a suggestion how to do it?? Can I lube its Core and hardwares using weight-3 silicone lubes and the pieces with Maru???? Please Reply .

yes weight 3 on the core is okay but the heavier the better defiantely dont do maru all you do is unscrew the core adn lube the screws theres a tutorial by the cubicle which is very good

Kloud

I've wanted to get into cubing, so I decided to start off with a Qiyi Sail, I got it for like $4 off of cubicle.

My question is: Will this thing be scratchier than a Rubik's brand if I don't buy some lube? Also, can I cheap out on the lube like I did with my cube?

The only cube I've used was some duncan quickcube that my 9-year-old sister destroyed for shits and giggles.

XTroyZe

Hey all,

I'm really confused as to whether adding this will make it faster or slower. Some people seem to think it slows down the cube due to the viscosity, others say if you add a very small amount, it speeds it up. Of course, it smooths the cube turns.

Based on your personal experience, does it make your cube faster or slower? (if you can, comment your cube(s) as well for reference).

Thanks!

PS: if anyone has a Moyu Aolong V2 and used this, how much of a difference did it make?

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey all,

I'm really confused as to whether adding this will make it faster or slower. Some people seem to think it slows down the cube due to the viscosity, others say if you add a very small amount, it speeds it up. Of course, it smooths the cube turns.

Based on your personal experience, does it make your cube faster or slower? (if you can, comment your cube(s) as well for reference).

Thanks!

PS: if anyone has a Moyu Aolong V2 and used this, how much of a difference did it make?
I use it in my AoLong v2 and it's as people say. A small amount speeds it up and a larger amount gums it up. Personally I prefer to over-lube it then wipe some out until I get the feel I want.

D

Daniel Lin

What's the best lube to get for the qiyi thunderclap?
Traxxas or Cubicle Silicone? and which weights are the best?
And what's the best lube for an aolong v2?
I am a 100% noob in hardware, and i've never lubed a cube before lol.

TheChaiCuber

WCA
2016CHAI03
What's the best lube to get for the qiyi thunderclap?
Traxxas or Cubicle Silicone? and which weights are the best?
And what's the best lube for an aolong v2?
I am a 100% noob in hardware, and i've never lubed a cube before lol.

Q1: traxxas 50k on core, on tracks and on pieces. Lubicle silk on the pieces.

Q2: IMO Traxxas, cuz its pretty much the same feeling and so much cheaper. you can buy 10k, 30k and 50k and they correlate to weight 1,3,5 respectively.

Q3: traxxas 50k on core, 30k on pieces.

Q1, and Q3 are answers of my fav methods of lubing those cubes. However, you are asking the "best lube method" for two of the most diverse/flexible cubes on the market, the thunderclap and Aolong V2 lol. They can feel very different depending on the lube, as opposed to other cubes that feel pretty much the same no matter what you put, aside from a difference in speed.

D

Daniel Lin

IMO Traxxas, cuz its pretty much the same feeling and so much cheaper. you can buy 10k, 30k and 50k and they correlate to weight 1,3,5 respectively.
actually i think lubicle silicone is cheaper on the cubicle, so if they're the same I guess I'll get that

another question: how long does lube last? and what does cc mean?