• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

SweetSolver

WCA
2014SWEE01
What silicone lube (e.g. Izo, Regular Silicone lube from thecubicle.us, Calvin's Lube etc.) can I get the cheapest INCLUDING postage to Australia?

I really want the lube from thecubicle.us but shipping is over $6 just for 5cc of lube.

Last edited:

KarlCubing

Hypocrism

WCA
2009ADLA01
The last time I was cubing, we used to take out an edge piece and spray some gunk into the cube. Is this not done any more? How do we now lube cubes?

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The last time I was cubing, we used to take out an edge piece and spray some gunk into the cube. Is this not done any more? How do we now lube cubes?
With differential oil (pure silicone). For example Traxxas 50k differential oil is great for most cubes (best for 3x3). 30k differential oil works best for the bigger cubes. Anything in a spray can is a bad choice.

Here's a video of how it is done on practically any 3x3's. With some differences it works the same for the bigger cubes. All the cores should be lubed like shown in the video with 50k differential oil.

Last edited by a moderator:

rj

WCA
2015PLAT03
YouTube
Visit Channel

Some people still use CRC heavy duty silicone. Many people now, instead of differential oil, use this, which is cheap. the numbers stand for weights--1 for 10K, 2 for 20K, and so on.

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My guess is that Lubix is 50k differential oil mixed with 30k differential oil probably with a half and half ratio making it around 43K diff oil if I remember correctly.

And seriously, people should just buy the diff oil themselves from ebay. Not from cubing shops. The stuff the cubing shops sell is exactly the same except far more expensive. 50 ccs of 50k traxxas costs 5-6 dollars. A kit of 10k, 30k and 50k costs 14 dollars. With that kit you could mix practically any kind of lube to fit all your cubing needs from small to very large cubes. The only useful thing cubing shops sell that involves lubricating is the syringe with the nozzle. It makes lubing so much easier. The actual lube, however, is always expensive no matter where you buy it from.

ipodman86

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think veggie oil is good because I used it on my C4Y DIY and it turns great. Lubix also works very well for Dayan puzzles. Anything made of silicone or oil works great. I've had experience with CRC Silicone, Lubix, and vegetable oil and they all work great.