• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Miro

How could something 3-gen be less complex than a 2-gen U perm?
In my first question I asked for like-Uperm algorithm, which not prevent corners permutation. So maybe 3-gen algorithm which not prevent corners permutation is easier than Uperm, which prevent corners permutation. But Cube Explorer say there is nothing better than Uperm.

Robinbar

What is the best spot on the cube to apply lube? I have a gans 356s, where do I apply my maru lube? Some people turn the top layer 45 degrees and put some lube on top of the edges in the middle layer? Some people take out an edge in the top layer and put 1-2 drops in? What is the best spot to lube the gans 356s? Done around 200+ solves with it.

Hi everyone, I am new to speedcubing, and only received my first speedcube (a QIYI thunderclap), yesterday.

I already know the beginner method from my old Rubiks brand cube, and have been advised to move onto CFOP as soon as possible.

The only thing is, I was advised to use cubeskills.com for tutorials, but I am unsure which tutorials I should be following.

I realise CFOP means Cross, F2L, OLL, PLL- but I just don't know what methods of say making the cross count as CFOP, or am I misunderstanding and any way of achieving this would count towards learning CFOP?

I am unsure wether I should be looking at the intermediate F2L, or the Cross and F2L for example.

Apologies for what might seem to be a dumb question, I have mainly started this for fun but also as I have some memory problems/ mild brain damage due to past illness and think this may potentially help my memory too. If not, I will still have fun along the way :).

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Any method of solving cross counts as CFOP. Generally, CFOP solvers solve the cross on the bottom, but besides that, you're basically free to do whatever you want. Since cross is an intuitive step, everyone will solve the same cross slightly differently.

You probably really only need to look at the intermediate F2L tutorial (unless there's a beginner one too; in that case, I'd look at that one first), because you already know how to do cross from the beginner's method.

Any method of solving cross counts as CFOP. Generally, CFOP solvers solve the cross on the bottom, but besides that, you're basically free to do whatever you want. Since cross is an intuitive step, everyone will solve the same cross slightly differently.

You probably really only need to look at the intermediate F2L tutorial (unless there's a beginner one too; in that case, I'd look at that one first), because you already know how to do cross from the beginner's method.

I see, thank you for clearing that up for me :).

So it is pretty free so to speak, in what classifies CFOP, as long as you are actually doing those steps, whichever method you use to achieve them still counts?

I have just been looking at the F2L algorithms, and must admit I am having a bit of trouble solving, I am sure as time goes on though I will improve.

Tom Joad

Hello everybody,

Still not quite at sub-20, focusing on my cross now.

So... for the two years I've been cubing, I always do my realigning (when inserting cross pieces) by doing u instead of D' and u' instead of D.

Regarding move efficiency, this is no problem (it's exactly the same) But when watching videos, it seems like everyone else realigns using the D layer. I guess this is just more finger trick friendly?

Does anyone else do it my way or should I try to change to what seems the more conventional method?

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello everybody,

Still not quite at sub-20, focusing on my cross now.

So... for the two years I've been cubing, I always do my realigning (when inserting cross pieces) by doing u instead of D' and u' instead of D.

Regarding move efficiency, this is no problem (it's exactly the same) But when watching videos, it seems like everyone else realigns using the D layer. I guess this is just more finger trick friendly?

Does anyone else do it my way or should I try to change to what seems the more conventional method?

Basically you plan your first pair in inspection and check if the edge (if in the U layer) is oriented or not by using a D move (or vice versa). If yes, do a D move, if not, do u' as it fixes the orientation of the edge and is then solvable with RUL.

I am having trouble remembering the algorithms for CFOP. Do most people learn intuitively this method with help from the guides, and will this be better than trying to remember all algorithms?

Robinbar

Hi,
How long does it take to get sub 10? I started cubing when I was 17 years, is that too late?
When I started I cubed for like 2-3 hours a day, in around 5-6 months I averaged about 30 seconds. For some reason I lost interest in cubing for almost a year, now I am 18 and I recently picked up cubing again, I average around 23 seconds now. Can I reach sub 10? Or am I too old to be that fast? I am 18 years, know full pll and almost full oll. I cube 2-3 hours every day just solving and learning new tricks and efficient ways to solve. Could I reach sub 10?

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
Hi,
How long does it take to get sub 10? I started cubing when I was 17 years, is that too late?
When I started I cubed for like 2-3 hours a day, in around 5-6 months I averaged about 30 seconds. For some reason I lost interest in cubing for almost a year, now I am 18 and I recently picked up cubing again, I average around 23 seconds now. Can I reach sub 10? Or am I too old to be that fast? I am 18 years, know full pll and almost full oll. I cube 2-3 hours every day just solving and learning new tricks and efficient ways to solve. Could I reach sub 10?
No is not to late. I'm pretty sure Jabari was around 16 or 17 when he started.

xyzzy

I am having trouble remembering the algorithms for CFOP. Do most people learn intuitively this method with help from the guides, and will this be better than trying to remember all algorithms?

Are you referring to just the F2L step?

Most F2L cases can be done by somehow attaching a corner to an edge, and then inserting the corner-edge pair. It would be quite difficult to memorise all the cases as if they were completely unrelated algs, so try to see how each of the algs do the "attach a corner to an edge" part and take note of the similarities.

(For OLL and PLL you don't really have much of a choice but to just memorise the darned algs. Only a tiny fraction of them are "intuitive", if you're willing to stretch the definition of "intuitive" a bit.)

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi,
Well I started at 16. I'm now 18 and just about sub 10. I think you can reach sub-10 at amy age below 30 (maybe higher but this is definate) as long as you have the time (I do far few hours of practise nowadays but I never really stopped)

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
Well I started at 16. I'm now 18 and just about sub 10. I think you can reach sub-10 at amy age below 30 (maybe higher but this is definate) as long as you have the time (I do far few hours of practise nowadays but I never really stopped)
I'm 34 and average sub-18. I have very little time to practice, and I don't know full OLL. Age isn't a barrier, Vladimir Horowitz was playing insane piano solos in his 70s and 80s, so fingers and the brain don't necessarily slow down with age. I think the only reason younger people find curbing easier to pick up is the amount of free time they have.