• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
What's the next step from CFOP? Edge control?

1LLL! :p

Well, from what I hear Feliks has learned quite a few other alg sets in addition to OLL and PLL such as WV, SV and tripod and I'm pretty sure he uses edge control as well as forcing skips and other beneficial things in the same vein.

But don't pay too much attention to me. I only know the CFOP theory so I'm no real expert. ;-)

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
What's the next step from CFOP? Edge control?
Do you know any other methods? You can learn things from practising Roux/ZZ or even Petrus that can help you build X-crosses or can make your F2L more efficient.

Learning a few VHLS and WV algs can also be useful; learning the easier cases would be good and not too hard. COLL is another good alg set to know since it has so many uses; you can use it in CFOP if you use VHLS/ZBLS, ZZ (obviously), and you can use it for Roux as well, though some of the algs won't be as good as CMLLs. It's also very good for OH since EPLLs are fast.

SoySauS

Do you know any other methods? You can learn things from practising Roux/ZZ or even Petrus that can help you build X-crosses or can make your F2L more efficient.

Learning a few VHLS and WV algs can also be useful; learning the easier cases would be good and not too hard. COLL is another good alg set to know since it has so many uses; you can use it in CFOP if you use VHLS/ZBLS, ZZ (obviously), and you can use it for Roux as well, though some of the algs won't be as good as CMLLs. It's also very good for OH since EPLLs are fast.

Those are some good points to go off, thank you! I kinda just figured out partial edge control (meaning sledgehammer edge control only), looks like I might learn VHLS and then start learning either some COLL or some ZBLL. For COLL, would it then be VHLS -> COLL -> EPLL? And ZBLL would just be sort of "combining" the COLL and EPLL steps?

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Those are some good points to go off, thank you! I kinda just figured out partial edge control (meaning sledgehammer edge control only), looks like I might learn VHLS and then start learning either some COLL or some ZBLL. For COLL, would it then be VHLS -> COLL -> EPLL?
Well just learning sledgehammer is easy, so you could learn some other VHLS algs to help in other situations; the 5 move algs (F R U/U' R' F') are definitely worth learning. The other one I know is sledgehammer cancelled into F sexy F'.

You could try ZZ to practise COLL, since I don't think it's worth learning full VHLS.

And ZBLL would just be sort of "combining" the COLL and EPLL steps?
What do you mean by this?

I don't think you should learn any ZBLLs yet until you know a decent number of COLLs. Otherwise recognition could get hard.

SoySauS

Well just learning sledgehammer is easy, so you could learn some other VHLS algs to help in other situations; the 5 move algs (F R U/U' R' F') are definitely worth learning. The other one I know is sledgehammer cancelled into F sexy F'.

You could try ZZ to practise COLL, since I don't think it's worth learning full VHLS.

What do you mean by this?

I don't think you should learn any ZBLLs yet until you know a decent number of COLLs. Otherwise recognition could get hard.

One could think of COLL + EPLL as being 2-look ZBLL.

Remish

I'm sub-20 with CFOP, and I've been thinking about learning another method (for the fun of it). Will doing so help me in any way (other than just knowing another way to solve 3x3)

CFOP is the fastest method so far. Learning other methods might help understanding of how the cube works, which is fun. But if your pure goal is speed then I'd say just perfect CFOP as much as possible. Work on more advanced F2L and learn more algorithms. There's always more to learn with CFOP so it shouldn't get boring :)

Remish

Avg fastest time?

What is the average solve time of all WCA speedcubers for 3x3? Of recent times, at least. I want to know if I'm above or below average.

Ryp

When people say to start out colour neutral because it will be more difficult to convert in the future, is the difficult part getting adjusted to the other colours or getting those other colours' times down to your original-coloured cross' times? I started to convert to colour neutral (from white-only cross) about a month ago which would have been approximately half a year of cubing. Although my times are not as fast as white cross (though they are only slightly higher), I had a relatively easy time adjusting to the other colours. Is it because I have only been cubing for half a year?

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
When people say to start out colour neutral because it will be more difficult to convert in the future, is the difficult part getting adjusted to the other colours or getting those other colours' times down to your original-coloured cross' times? I started to convert to colour neutral (from white-only cross) about a month ago which would have been approximately half a year of cubing. Although my times are not as fast as white cross (though they are only slightly higher), I had a relatively easy time adjusting to the other colours. Is it because I have only been cubing for half a year?
Both. As I said before, the difficult part for me is gettion used to the colour because I will quite frequently use the pieces that I use in my default orientation instead of the ones in my current orientation :-/

This is why I don't have too much of an inclination to be full CN right now...

Artic

What's the name of the site that allows you to train efficient crosses? It provides scrambles but also gives the solutions to the solving the cross. It's been posted on the site often but I can't seem to find it.

thanks!

hi just ordered a weilong v2 and it will come in 2-3 days and i was wondering how does the cube go with a guy that has a light turning style,is fairly accurate and likes smooth cubes,i am fairly slow averaging about 30 seconds inconsistently because of the random pops i get every 2 solves also i really like fast cubes because of my odd fingertricks
btw i know the weilong is not really meant for people who average over 20 secs but my dad only allows me to order in a certain site and in that site everything is expensive and the weilong was pretty cheap

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
hi just ordered a weilong v2 and it will come in 2-3 days and i was wondering how does the cube go with a guy that has a light turning style,is fairly accurate and likes smooth cubes,i am fairly slow averaging about 30 seconds inconsistently because of the random pops i get every 2 solves also i really like fast cubes because of my odd fingertricks
btw i know the weilong is not really meant for people who average over 20 secs but my dad only allows me to order in a certain site and in that site everything is expensive and the weilong was pretty cheap

The Weilong is a very good cube, on part with the best new ones. It's fast and it does not pop at all (at least at my tensions, which are not tight). I think it will suit you very well and you can use it without lubing it, as it will surely come with some lube out of the box. I hope you enjoy it.

Aaron Lau

whats the difference between vls and hls? I know they insert the last f2l slot while simultaniously forcing an oll skip.
But do they have different cases or the same cases just different algs?