• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

GAN 356 X

most OLL algorithms have a bunch of triggers i them. Familiarize yourself with these triggers: (R U R' U') (R U R' U) (R' F R F) (U R U' R')
(R U2 R') an their mirrors and OLL will be a breeze. Much easier than it looks.

edit: most people don't learn full OLL until they average around sub 15 seconds. Start with 2 look OLL and PLL before learning all the algorithms
I learnt Full PLL and the OLL algorithms embedded in them... now I've gotta learn full OLL!

Iwannaganx

help fingertricking on one 2 look OLL alg?

I have a question.

When you come to the LL on CFOP and there are no edges correctly flipped, I use this alg:

(F R U R' U' F') U2 (F U R U' R' F')

I'm wondering if anyone:
A.Has a better alg or
B.if anyone has any fingertricks for it.

This has been slowing down my solves for some reason, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Thanks!
You can use R U2 (sledgehammer) U2 (sledgehammer) if it's still a problem.
Sledge hammer is R' F R F'

Llewelys

You can also try F (R U R' U') F' f (R U R' U') f'
It's the same alg you use but the second part is done from a different angle

xyzzy

You can use R U2 (sledgehammer) U2 (sledgehammer) if it's still a problem.
Sledge hammer is R' F R F'
Please check the dates of the posts you're replying to. That question was asked eleven years ago, and that user hasn't been online since 2011.

(also R' U2 r U' r' U2 r U r' U2 R is really nice and probably the easiest 4-flip alg to execute quickly; the sledgehammers in the R U2 R' sledge U2 sledge alg can be a bit annoying)

Lapse.

WCA
2016WYNG01
Currently, I know full PLL and about 12-15 OLL cases, many of which are embedded in the PLL algorithms. Any tips, tricks, stories, or helpful advice on learning full OLL is appreciated.

OLL seems daunting but most olls are just variations of each other, like the basic alg for dot olls are nearly identical, but its really hard to execute them. The sune alg and its variants solve more than 10 olls i believe.. and fruruf, furuf can be found in quite a few olls. a thing you should take note is not to learn algs that have similar moves or almost identical cases, because it could be easy for you to mess them up, that's what happened to me when i tried to cram all the dot olls in one day. Take your time and learn efficiently and drill them to make sure you can all your olls sub-2.

Also, learn good algs, go to a reputable cuber's website if they have one or find multiple algs for one case and see if they're fingertrickable, that way you don't waste your effort learning bag algs, i've learnt my fair share of terrible algs just cause i didnt know they were bad.

BobTaco

I was thinking while watching Felix Zemdegs on Cubeskills show his OLL and PLL how many angles one should actually look to learn for PLL? Like it seems Felix knows at least two for most PLL cases. I am open to thoughts on this and help expanding on my knowledge and knowing if I should take the time to learn more angles.

Lapse.

WCA
2016WYNG01
I think you maybe should just learn the different alg for easy plls or olls like u perm or sune. sometimes it may be hard to recognize the case as well, with stuff like e perm, n perm or even u perm. just auf and doing the alg would probably satisfy most people.

BobTaco

I think you maybe should just learn the different alg for easy plls or olls like u perm or sune. sometimes it may be hard to recognize the case as well, with stuff like e perm, n perm or even u perm. just auf and doing the alg would probably satisfy most people.
I feel like 2 sided recognition would make it a bit easier. Like if I see this pattern I use this alg or that pattern and i use that alg.

Lapse.

WCA
2016WYNG01
I feel like 2 sided recognition would make it a bit easier. Like if I see this pattern I use this alg or that pattern and i use that alg.
You might as well just do a U/U'/U2 to adjust... I doubt you can find good algs for all sides of the plls anyway, just do it the normal way :/

GAN 356 X

I have learnt 2 of the dot cases and am procrastinating about learning the square and lightning bolt cases. I can see what you mean. They are all very similar and easy to learn, as they are largely made up of short triggers.
OLL seems daunting but most olls are just variations of each other, like the basic alg for dot olls are nearly identical, but its really hard to execute them. The sune alg and its variants solve more than 10 olls i believe.. and fruruf, furuf can be found in quite a few olls. a thing you should take note is not to learn algs that have similar moves or almost identical cases, because it could be easy for you to mess them up, that's what happened to me when i tried to cram all the dot olls in one day. Take your time and learn efficiently and drill them to make sure you can all your olls sub-2.

Also, learn good algs, go to a reputable cuber's website if they have one or find multiple algs for one case and see if they're fingertrickable, that way you don't waste your effort learning bag algs, i've learnt my fair share of terrible algs just cause i didnt know they were bad.

InfinityCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi Guys,

2 weeks ago i bought a cube (3x3) now iám learning solving this via fridrich.
I can solve the F2L but now i'am stuck at the OLL and PLL part of Fridrich.

I found a couple of sheets with the algorithms from OLL and PLL but eeuh...
did you guys realy learn this all out of your head?

I mean i'aint stupid and i can learn things out of my head but both OLL and PLL are like 78 diffirent algs!

I there some kind of memorization trick?
How did you guys start to learn this?

Is there a step in between to reach the goal?
I learnt my OLLs mostly from BrodyTheCuber's vids, for PLL mostly from CubeSkills.(I printed out CubeSkills PDFs for both OLL and PLL and drilled the algs)

GAN 356 X

I learnt my OLLs mostly from BrodyTheCuber's vids, for PLL mostly from CubeSkills.(I printed out CubeSkills PDFs for both OLL and PLL and drilled the algs)
I learnt PLL with cyothekings website and am curretnly learning oll through cubeskills pdfs. Personally, I didn't find learning pll that hard, I am just prone to procrastination... Which is probably why I am not colour neutral yet... ):

martinba314

While you were learning full OLL, did any of you experience a temporary drop in your performance?

A week ago, I did an ao50 and it was roughly 22. This week I've began learning full OLL, so I've only been practicing LL cases instead of full solves. My average is back up to 25. I wanted to know if this was normal or if I just got lucky on that ao50.

Kauhu

How can i remember pll case NAMES. for example. Nb, Na etc.
I remember the algs but not names.

xyzzy

The names aren't important unless you want to talk about PLL cases, in which case you should include a picture of the case because most people wouldn't know the names either.

The a/b labelling for J perms, R perms, G perms etc. is pretty arbitrary and there's no sense or logic behind it. Learning this by heart is completely optional.

Kauhu

The names aren't important unless you want to talk about PLL cases, in which case you should include a picture of the case because most people wouldn't know the names either.

The a/b labelling for J perms, R perms, G perms etc. is pretty arbitrary and there's no sense or logic behind it. Learning this by heart is completely optional.
I'm asking because i want to learn 2 side pll and all the pdfs etc. Only says the case's names