• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

(New) What cubes should be added to the WCA events list?

What cubes should be added to the WCA?

• Curvy copter

Votes: 42 18.8%
  • Team blind

Votes: 78 34.8%
  • 2x2 OH

Votes: 45 20.1%
  • 2 3x3's at once/double OH

Votes: 47 21.0%
  • kilominx

Votes: 136 60.7%
  • ghost cube

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • mirror cube

Votes: 68 30.4%
  • redi cube and mosaic cube

Votes: 73 32.6%
  • master kilominx

Votes: 37 16.5%
  • gear cube

Votes: 26 11.6%
  • master pyraminx

Votes: 41 18.3%
  • feet

Votes: 32 14.3%

• Total voters

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I want a BLD event where a mirror cube and 3x3 are scrambled identically, memo is done on the mirror cube, and solve is done on 3x3.
A mirror cube would be confusing, but I think two different cubes, one with standard colors and the other with both colors and a different dot/shape pattern on each side would be very reasonable.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
1. Good luck on finding a notation system for the curvy copter.
Not only has this been done, but a random-state jumbling scrambler has in fact already been written for it using that notation.

It might not be particularly good to read, and might prove to be impractical for competitions, but at least it exists. And in my opinion it is at least much better than the original megaminx notation, so hey, we're off to a good start.

Zeke Mackay

WCA
2015MACK06
YouTube
Visit Channel
A few weeks bump oops, but I think I have good criteria for good new events.
1) Good length, between 5 and 60 seconds.
2) Distinct from other events, rather than being a shape mod, different sizes, or different ways of solving an existing event.

Team blind is a different way of solving 3x3
2x2 oh is a different way of solving 2x2
2 3x3s or double oh are different ways of 3x3
kilominx is a different sized megaminx
ghost cube and mirror cube are shape mods
master kilominx is a different sized megaminx
Mosaic cube is too long, not having a sub 1 ao5

This leaves Curvy Copter, Redi Cube, which may be slightly too short and luck dependent, and Gear cube, which I would change to a gear ball or larger gear cube.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Different people certainly have different opinions as to what a "good length" is. Mine would certainly be longer, especially on the short end. I suppose 5 seconds is barely okay for a world record single.

Mosaic cube seems like a pretty ideal-length event, in my personal opinion. But I realize other people do prefer shorter events.

GAN 356 X

A few weeks bump oops, but I think I have good criteria for good new events.
2) Distinct from other events, rather than being a shape mod, different sizes, or different ways of solving an existing event.

Team blind is a different way of solving 3x3
2x2 oh is a different way of solving 2x2
2 3x3s or double oh are different ways of 3x3
kilominx is a different sized megaminx
ghost cube and mirror cube are shape mods
master kilominx is a different sized megaminx
Mosaic cube is too long, not having a sub 1 ao5

This leaves Curvy Copter, Redi Cube, which may be slightly too short and luck dependent, and Gear cube, which I would change to a gear ball or larger gear cube.
I still personally believe that kilominx and master pyraminx are the coolest ideas. They are both pretty quick events, and have decent hardware already. A lot of new innovation would come out if they were excepted as events, and they do seem to be the two cubes with the most following. 3x3 has larger/smaller versions of it self, so why can't megaminx and pyraminx? Furtheromre, both events are short enough to be quick, and long enough to be non-trivial. Perfect imo.

I also think curvy copter is a cool idea, because of its uniqueness.
Now is also the time to add and event seeing as feet has been removed. Or should the events stay at 17? I dunno honestly

Edit: as Mike Hughey said, the preferred length fo events varies between people. I myself tend to pa=ratcie events between the 10 secs to 3 minute range, however, I still do 6x6 and 7x7 quite a bit

H perm

Personally, while I like most of these proposals, I think the most realistic cubes to be admitted into the WCA would be larger size variants of existing side puzzles, like the master pyraminx (If you make an updated poll, the master pyraminx should be an option in my opinion) and the master kilominx. Both have good hardware and are manufactured by reputable brands like Qiyi and Shengshou.