• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

(New) What cubes should be added to the WCA events list?

What cubes should be added to the WCA?

• Curvy copter

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Team blind

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • 2x2 OH

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • 2 3x3's at once/double OH

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • kilominx

Votes: 41 69.5%
  • ghost cube

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • mirror cube

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • redi cube and mosaic cube

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • master kilominx

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • gear cube

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
WCA
2015KIND01
It would be hard to come up with more advanced methods for curvy copter. I only saw a couple beginner level methods on youtube (The most popular by RedKB). It definitely is possible, as I'm sure the beginner's method to solve it is far from the most efficient.

I don't think there are any shapes that are very many moves from cubes, so I don't think it will be any harder than squan.
You don't have to think whether there are shapes that are very many moves from cubeshape, because someone has already computed the distance distribution. A few percent of states (rare, but not especially unlikely) are 25 moves or further away from cube, with the maximum possible distance being 28 moves.

(Additional complication: on the square-1, the scrambler actually solves CSP, not just cubeshape. The analogue of CSP on a Curvy Copter would be much more complicated, and may increase the average/maximum distance a lot.)

Something I thought about is the shape argument using squan. While it probably wouldn’t harder to deal with than squan, it still invariably is more complicated to scramble. Both will change shape, but with squan, the shape is changed only by turning the U/D layers and slicing. However, the jumbling on the CC can by done on many sides so I do think it is more complicated and not a perfect comparison, albeit close. I think it may be difficult to do the scrambling images cleanly. I do believe Sion had a pretty good idea about the +/- for doing jumbling moves though!

WCA
2018OLSE04
You don't have to think whether there are shapes that are very many moves from cubeshape, because someone has already computed the distance distribution. A few percent of states (rare, but not especially unlikely) are 25 moves or further away from cube, with the maximum possible distance being 28 moves.

(Additional complication: on the square-1, the scrambler actually solves CSP, not just cubeshape. The analogue of CSP on a Curvy Copter would be much more complicated, and may increase the average/maximum distance a lot.)
Thanks, that post is fantastic. I didn't realize the extent to which this puzzle could jumble (I thought there would be at most 1000 shapes).
Something I thought about is the shape argument using squan. While it probably wouldn’t harder to deal with than squan, it still invariably is more complicated to scramble. Both will change shape, but with squan, the shape is changed only by turning the U/D layers and slicing. However, the jumbling on the CC can by done on many sides so I do think it is more complicated and not a perfect comparison, albeit close. I think it may be difficult to do the scrambling images cleanly. I do believe Sion had a pretty good idea about the +/- for doing jumbling moves though!
Of course it's gonna be more complicated to scramble, the jumbling has far more possibilities. It would be fine for competitions if the scrambles were 60 moves or even more, since the competitors will mostly be taking far longer to solve this puzzle than a squan.

Thanks, that post is fantastic. I didn't realize the extent to which this puzzle could jumble (I thought there would be at most 1000 shapes).

Of course it's gonna be more complicated to scramble, the jumbling has far more possibilities. It would be fine for competitions if the scrambles were 60 moves or even more, since the competitors will mostly be taking far longer to solve this puzzle than a squan.
Yeah. I brought that up because I was proposing using non humbling initially until a good system is in place for jumbling. People then compared that to cubeshspe only scrambles which i wanted to show isn’t a perfect analogy because the CC has many more axis that can turn and change shape.