• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
WCA
2010LECA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I can solve a 5x5 now in under 5 min just or just over 6 min (5:40-6:20)
The Centers take 1:15-1:30 and my 3x3 solve at the end is 50 ish the edge how ever take 3min-4min Help please:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Woo, same boat man!

freshcuber

WCA
2011MURR02
I'm using lancetheblueknight's method and I just did my first 5x5 Ao12. My previous PB was like 4:55. I broke it 5 times.

5:04.45, 4:20.42, 5:09.69, 4:22.29, 4:13.47, 4:15.53, 4:17.78, 4:24.40, 4:05.99, 3:57.13, 3:39.31, 4:18.22= 4:19.97

zosomaniac

WCA
2009BAND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
5x5x5 Lookahead help ?

I do the centres in around 45 secs. It takes more than a minute to do the edges. I find that lookahead for edges is bad for me.

Any tips on lookahead on the 5x5x5. What part of the cube do you look while freestyle slicing.

Any tips relating to freestyle edge making in 5x5x5 would be valuable.

Thanks!

Last edited:

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
I do white edges, then yellow, then last four is the non white nor yellow ones. Helps slightly when looking for edges.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yea white(black)/yellow first. Try to find pairs that are already made while going through to save having to set up two pieces for every pair.

adragast

Any tips for 5x5 ?

Hi !

Is there anyone having tips/tricks/advise to get better on the 5x5 ? I have found some really nice posts for the 3x3 but almost nothing for the 5x5.

Is it only to solve the cube again and again ? I am using the reduction method and I am stuck around 3 minutes (1min for the centers, 1min30 for the edges and 30s+ for the 3x3). I have a v-cube that turns quite well so I don't think the problem is coming from there. I do look for pieces a lot though (especially in the edge phase). I have tried free slice and avg (I am faster with avg right now).

(as a reference I am averaging around 25s with the 3x3).

Adragast

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
The most important thing is to turn slower than you think you need to, so that you have enough time to lookahead.

Something you may or may not have thought of: if you want to, you can just solve centers, then stop and scramble again, and so on, to get more practice specifically with centers. Other than that, there isn't much I can say about centers without seeing a video example of how you solve them.

For edges, I can't give you anything regarding avg edge pairing because I am terrible at it, but I do use freeslice, so I'll give you a tip. It can be very useful for lookahead's sake if you don't just take the first piece you see and then try to find the pieces of the same color. What I do is, after solving centers, then I solve all four black (or white if using a black cube) edge groups first, and then I solve all four yellow edge groups, leaving the four groups that don't have standing-out colors for last. So while solving the last two centers, I can look around the cube and specifically take notice of any black edge pieces, making it very easy to transition from centers into edges. Then when I am on the last black edge group, I start looking at all the yellow edges I see, looking for matches. By solving in this way, you don't have to think about as many pieces, which can help reduce pauses.

Chrisalead

YouTube
Visit Channel
5x5 tips?

Hello there.

I have filmed myself solving my daily avg12 with the 5x5 a few days ago and put the best single from it on youtube.

I would like to know if I'm doing something wrong in my solve. I mean I know I'm pretty slow compared to the best cubers out here, but all I want to know is if I'm on a wrong way to progress or if it's ok.

Basically I solve 2 opposite centers, the 4 remaining, then freeslice edge-pairing.

Here is the link :
http://www.youtube.com/chrisalead5#p/a/u/1/XlWDhlr7y9k

By the way the solve starts at 46s (yes I have let the scramble in the video).

And finally, lower your speakers because the sound screaaaams (my speakers were too close to the webcam).

Thanks for your time and advices !

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I watched the solve. Your centers could be made faster by getting rid of the delays and looking ahead, and also by moving faster. All of that will improve with the more solves you do. Your edges are the same way. Work on speeding up and also keep looking ahead for the next piece. Practice the parity algorithm a lot, so when you get it you can execute it very fast. When you finish edges, already be looking ahead to the cross of your 3x3. Your 3x3 stage could use a lot of work. I'm not sure how fast you on are on a regular 3x3 cube, but practicing that will improve your 3x3 stage on 5x5.

If you do an average of 12 a day, I'm sure you will improve a lot over the next few months. Work on cutting out delays and then gradually work on increasing speed. Good luck.

Chrisalead

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks ! About the 3x3 part, I average ~16s on the 3x3 but it takes me between 35s and 45s to do the same on the 5x5. I still have some recognition problem for some OLLs on bigcubes.
Another thing I noticed, when I started "serious" training for the 4x4 and 5x5 3 weeks ago, I first did one week of 4x4 and then one week of 5x5. During theses weeks, my times really dropped. Now I switch every day between 4x4 and 5x5 and it seems that my times doesn't drop anymore.
Do you think I should keep the same cube size for a week before switching to the other ?