• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

5x5x5 Programming Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

unsolved

I decided to work on a 5x5x5 Brute Force Solver, setting aside the 4x4x4 project for the time being.

I guess the logical place to start is with the count of nodes as a function of depth, as we have done before. This is what I have so far:

n

Unique Position Counts

45​

1620​

?????​

?????​

Moves that are discounted:

1. Sequences such as U and U' which just negate one another.
2. Transposing moves such as U u then u U, parallel rotations which create identical positions.
3. At ply 3, moves such as U u E (if E turns the same way as U) that can create the same position as D' d' on the 5x5x5.

Item #3 brings up an interesting point. How many legal 3-ply moves of the same parallel face are there that do not duplicate a position that can be created with fewer turns? And is there an easy way to determine this programmatically?

Intuitively, it seems that if there are 3 different colors on 1 face, the move sequence must represent a "legal" set of moves that the program should allow to be made. The question is, can a 2-move sequence be derived for one if a 3-move sequence created it?

Status
Not open for further replies.