• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Timona

YouTube
Visit Channel
Right now I’m usually sub-5. I used the Qiyi for awhile, but lockups had been making it a very difficult event to do at all. I think I need to improve turning style as well, but for 2x2 I don’t really know where to start.
I use the Qiyi currently, my advice is since it doesnr have any customisation features, just loosen the screws until it isn't too stiff and it won't pop. That's what I do. Also, know your cases and spam TPS

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I’ve just purchased an MGC Elite 2x2 along with the new DaYan 5x5. Both seem to be very good puzzles, but definitely need setup. I’ve never been too experienced in proper NxN setup, so I‘d really like some advice for what I could do to these cubes. The MGC is locking up a bit too much for me right now, and the DaYan is just a bit too slow. I put Cubicle speedy in it, which helped a bit—it feels like it may need loosening as well.

I also got my hands on a Steven’s Little Magic pyraminx. Out of the box I’m having some issues, but I’m hoping that proper breaking in will speed it up a little.
The MGC is naturally a very very stable cube, and for me I've found I can't get good results on it because of that. With that said, loosening the tensions, as well as lubing the core will help quite a bit.

Do you know Ortega? If you do, I'd suggest to start learning CLL. First you make a permuted layer, then use one algorithm to finish OLL and PLL.
If you don't know Ortega, then learn that first.
I do currently use Ortega—learned years ago before I went on hiatus. CLL seems like a big next step, but I agree that it seems very worth it going forward, haha.

I use the Qiyi currently, my advice is since it doesnr have any customisation features, just loosen the screws until it isn't too stiff and it won't pop. That's what I do. Also, know your cases and spam TPS
Is spamming TPS just practicing individual cases a lot?

The MGC Elite 2x2 does not need setup. It is insane ootb. The Dayan 5x5 however, needs some maintenance.
I definitely need to do some work on it ootb. Loosened it a bit first, which helped for sure. Needs lube of some kind too in my opinion.

The MGC is naturally a very very stable cube, and for me I've found I can't get good results on it because of that. With that said, loosening the tensions, as well as lubing the core will help quite a bit.
What type of lube would you recommend?

unirox13

I got my MGC 2 about a year ago. It came prelubed and compared to my old stickered 2x2 it just felt sticky. I completely disassembled it and washed it out really good. While putting it back together I added just a few drops of some water based speed lube I had to the core and pieces. Afterwards I spent probably a week on and off fiddling with the tensions. I've never been able to get it to feel just right. It's a very solid cube, for sure but might not be my style. It's more a collection piece for me, I don't really focus on speed solving or 2x2.

So, I'd say add a few drops of lube and then just fiddle with the tensions. Maybe you'll find a sweet spot that works for you.

I got my MGC 2 about a year ago. It came prelubed and compared to my old stickered 2x2 it just felt sticky. I completely disassembled it and washed it out really good. While putting it back together I added just a few drops of some water based speed lube I had to the core and pieces. Afterwards I spent probably a week on and off fiddling with the tensions. I've never been able to get it to feel just right. It's a very solid cube, for sure but might not be my style. It's more a collection piece for me, I don't really focus on speed solving or 2x2.

So, I'd say add a few drops of lube and then just fiddle with the tensions. Maybe you'll find a sweet spot that works for you.
I just lubed the core (**center pieces, not actual core) with some DNM. It seems to help with the flexibility, but I find it catching still a bit. Could also very well be my turning style—I tend to be a bit more aggressive.

Last edited:

CornerTwisted

WCA
2021HITC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I’ve just purchased an MGC Elite 2x2 along with the new DaYan 5x5. Both seem to be very good puzzles, but definitely need setup. I’ve never been too experienced in proper NxN setup, so I‘d really like some advice for what I could do to these cubes. The MGC is locking up a bit too much for me right now, and the DaYan is just a bit too slow. I put Cubicle speedy in it, which helped a bit—it feels like it may need loosening as well.

I also got my hands on a Steven’s Little Magic pyraminx. Out of the box I’m having some issues, but I’m hoping that proper breaking in will speed it up a little.
Litterally loosen the qiyi by 5 full turns and it will be better than any GAN. Trust me from experience

Litterally loosen the qiyi by 5 full turns and it will be better than any GAN. Trust me from experience
I do really like the Qiyi, and the price is incredible. I've just had too many issues with lockups to keep it as a main unfortunately. :( I do not plan to buy a GAN, though. I find a lot of them pretty overpriced and not always meeting expectations.

Last edited:
WCA
2021BRAN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do really like the Qiyi, and the price is incredible. I've just had too many issues with lockups to keep it as a main unfortunately. :( I do not plan to buy a GAN, though. I find a lot of them pretty overpriced and not always meeting expectations.
What QiYi?