• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
having the same prob. ive been cubing for 2 months now, and i know f2l and 2- look oll and pll. I don't know how to get faster at F2l, it takes up 30 seconds and my avg is 45.
Have you looked at any other methods? I tried Roux when I averaged around 45 seconds, and with 2-look CMLL(you already know the algs, no need to learn more) I soon beat my best time with CFOP, but with Roux(I now average ~22 seconds, and at that point the last steps become dizzyingly fun, especially LSE which is magic.)

I also tried ZZ, which is actually really fun, I use it for one handed solving all the time.
because of how ZZ works, you only need 28 algorithms for a 2-look last layer(2nd look of OLL and PLL). More than roux, but still decent.

for anybody(especially F2L ), I would suggest Turbo tracking(look it up, theres a thread on it.) I modified it so instead of <R, U> or <R,L,U> I did <M,U> which helped my LSE lookahead. but turbo tracking was meant for F2L originally.

Taser

I had bought a Zanchi then (I was sub 35) but for some reason, I never clicked with it. ATM, I still don't like it as much as I'd like to. IDK if it's my style or whatever. I haven't had the opportunity to try other speedcubes so I don't know much. What I want to say is that I can only get one cube ATM and I want it to be a bit different from the Zanchi. It catches a lot for me and I don't like the feel for some reason. The cubes that are available to me are the Aolong V2, Thunderclap, Yuxin 3x3, Tanglong and Hualong.What are you opinions on a hualong compared to a Zanchi? I'm sorry if I'm dragging this on, but some say that the Thunderclap is an updated Zanchi and the parts appear similar too.

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I had bought a Zanchi then (I was sub 35) but for some reason, I never clicked with it. ATM, I still don't like it as much as I'd like to. IDK if it's my style or whatever. I haven't had the opportunity to try other speedcubes so I don't know much. What I want to say is that I can only get one cube ATM and I want it to be a bit different from the Zanchi. It catches a lot for me and I don't like the feel for some reason. The cubes that are available to me are the Aolong V2, Thunderclap, Yuxin 3x3, Tanglong and Hualong.What are you opinions on a hualong compared to a Zanchi? I'm sorry if I'm dragging this on, but some say that the Thunderclap is an updated Zanchi and the parts appear similar too.
Its a better Zhanchi.
If you like fast, effortless turning get a Weilong though.

Brest

Staff member
YouTube
Visit Channel

Sion

If someone somehow got a 4.79 oh, would it just be considered the OH World Record, or also 3x3 World Record?

Lykos

I am currently averaging at a bit more than 1 minute for OH using the ZZ method and I am trying to get a sub 45 best of 2 in one week at the European Championship. Probably I am not going to make it, but I'll try. But since I am averaging around 22 seconds with both hands, I should technically be able to get better pretty quickly.

But just to see where I should focus my efforts. What is a reasonable timing breakdown for the ZZ method? I didn't find that anywhere. How much time should be spent on EO, Line, ZZF2L, COLL and EPLL?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

gateway cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I am currently averaging at a bit more than 1 minute for OH using the ZZ method and I am trying to get a sub 45 best of 2 in one week at the European Championship. Probably I am not going to make it, but I'll try. But since I am averaging around 22 seconds with both hands, I should technically be able to get better pretty quickly.

But just to see where I should focus my efforts. What is a reasonable timing breakdown for the ZZ method? I didn't find that anywhere. How much time should be spent on EO, Line, ZZF2L, COLL and EPLL?

EO-Line = 3
ZZF2L = 10-12 secs
COLL = 2 secs
EPLL = 2 secs

this time breakdown corresponds with somebody going for sub-20 with OH if your ultimate goal was sub-15 you would need to learn ZBLL and have an 8-10 sec F2L.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03

I average about 20 with two hands and 30 with one hand. My splits for EOLine-F2L-COLL-EPLL on a typical solve are about 3-10-3-2 for two hands and about 6-15-5-3 for one hand. Drill F2L because that's where ZZ shines for OH. Drill fingertricks for EPLLs.

Lykos

EO-Line = 3
ZZF2L = 10-12 secs
COLL = 2 secs
EPLL = 2 secs

this time breakdown corresponds with somebody going for sub-20 with OH if your ultimate goal was sub-15 you would need to learn ZBLL and have an 8-10 sec F2L.

Ok, thanks a lot. Since I am averaging around 1 minute now, I guess I am fine with my COLL (except sune/antisune) and EPLL (or PLL, if necessary). Maybe I will give it a try once I am getting close to 20. :D

I average about 20 with two hands and 30 with one hand. My splits for EOLine-F2L-COLL-EPLL on a typical solve are about 3-10-3-2 for two hands and about 6-15-5-3 for one hand. Drill F2L because that's where ZZ shines for OH. Drill fingertricks for EPLLs.

Ok, that makes sense. But I just took my splits and it seems that I am one of the rare people that should actually focus on LL more than F2L. My F2L takes about 20 to 25 seconds. If I screw up, then maybe 30. My COLLs take about 10-15 seconds, sometimes even 20. For EPLL, the U pers are going comparably well and take me only 4-5 seconds, but Z and H perm also take like 8. So I guess I should really drill my COLLs and EPLLs at this point. I didn't notice how ridiculously slow they were. I should also still keep practicing F2L, but I guess for my intermediate goal of reaching 45 seconds, a 20-25 seconds F2L is actually fine.

I guess that comes from the fact that I am a decent 3x3 solver. I know, 22 seconds is not good, but it's not a beginner time either. So for F2L, where lookahead and finding pieces quickly matters, I can take over a lot of my 2 handed skills, so I am (comparably) not that bad. But for the last layer, turning style and finger skills matter and since I didn't practice OH a lot, I completely suck at it.

Last edited: