• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Arkwell

Yes, switch to pinky as early as possible.

TDM, thanks for that little piece of advice. I started off using ring and pinky but switched to index, ring because I wasn't working Last Layer but now that I'm working PLLs I couldn't imagine doing A-Perms with index, ring.

OLLiver

WCA
2015JENK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a question about ZBLL practice,
Im currently learning full ZBLL, however because of the number of cases It is hard to get enough practice on the specific subset, right now I am doing the T subset, which is 72 algs, so is there an online timer which will give me pure T ZBLL scrambles to practice just this subset? thanks

caters

Figuring out the best way to solve a cube in the fewest possible moves

I know that for some patterns like the checkerboard it is easy to get it to the pattern and then back to a solved state in less than God's Number. Specifically 12 moves for the checkerboard.

I know that for some like the superflip it is easy to do it in God's number from 1 state to another.

However this easy to spot algorithms to get it to the solved state really only works for specific patterns.

And I also know that for any scramble the average minimum number of moves is 20 which is God's Number. Noticed I said average. That is because for some you don't need to do 20 moves and can actually do it in less moves but for most the minimum is 20.

And that is an average of quintillions of arrangements.

Like 2 types of cube in a cube in a cube for example with 1 where it is 2 colors on each side and 1 where it is 3 colors on each side(these require different algorithms).

Now I know that CFOP is fast, but I also know that even with 4LLL and intuitive F2L it still requires more moves than LBL does.

So LBL is closer to God's number than CFOP is mainly because of fewer algorithms.

But how can I know from any given scramble out of 43 quintillion exactly what moves to do in order to get really fast times without having to use CFOP or in other words, solve it in as close to God's number moves as possible?

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Specifically 12 moves for the checkerboard.
Nope, it's 6.

And I also know that for any scramble the average minimum number of moves is 20 which is God's Number. Noticed I said average. That is because for some you don't need to do 20 moves and can actually do it in less moves but for most the minimum is 20.
The average optimal movecount is 17-18 iirc. 20 is just the worst case.

Like 2 types of cube in a cube in a cube for example with 1 where it is 2 colors on each side and 1 where it is 3 colors on each side(these require different algorithms).
What? I don't really see how this is relevant...

Now I know that CFOP is fast, but I also know that even with 4LLL and intuitive F2L it still requires more moves than LBL does.

So LBL is closer to God's number than CFOP is mainly because of fewer algorithms.
First bit is very wrong. LBL is much less efficient than CFOP, so out of the two CFOP gives solutions closest to God's number (though neither of them are very efficient).

But how can I know from any given scramble out of 43 quintillion exactly what moves to do in order to get really fast times without having to use CFOP or in other words, solve it in as close to God's number moves as possible?
So... your question is just how to be more efficient? :fp

Firstly, CFOP won't get you anywhere near 20 move solutions. However if you do want to reduce moves, try doing lots of untimed solves, especially for F2L. Try to solve each pair in 8 moves or less. Also, learning more algs can help, so if you don't yet know full OLL then learn that. PLL is more important though.

Last edited:

PurpleBanana

Well, that sucks:( Because I don't have any extra money to buy a zhanchi or some else like a MoYu aolong or something

If you don't have $10 for a decent cube, you certainly can't afford the travel costs and entrance fees for a competition.

PurpleBanana

I said i don't have any EXTRA money. I have enough money for the competitions and the travel costs because I live in finland, and it's a pretty small country.

If you only have a very small amount of money, cubing competitions are definitely not what you should be spending it on. Yikes.